Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to vote for a Conservative Party candidate...

(12 Posts)
BalthierBunansa Sat 10-Nov-12 23:42:54

for the job of the PCC, despite being left wing? I'm not a massive fan of the Conservative party, but this candidate sounds like the right one...

WorraLiberty Sat 10-Nov-12 23:45:43

If you think he's the right man for the job and you want to use your vote, how can your possibly be unreasonable?

That's what voting's all about isn't it?

Dominodonkey Sat 10-Nov-12 23:47:22

Yanbu - if the person is a good candidate then go for it. I always think it is a shame when excellent MPs lose seats due to backlashes against their party too.

lurkedtoolong Sat 10-Nov-12 23:47:28

I've decided to vote for candidates now based on how I judge them as people and what I think they'll be like at the job. The only party thats a no go for me mow is BNP. YANBU at all to vote for person you think will do the best job.

Alisvolatpropiis Sun 11-Nov-12 12:36:19

YANBU - vote for the one who seems best for the job not the one you feel you "should" vote for.

Softlysoftly Sun 11-Nov-12 12:44:16

YANBU last time I had 3 votes (Wales) I voted a Tory, an independent and green for the welsh assembly all based on their applicable local policies.

JuliaScurr Sun 11-Nov-12 12:44:33

what is his policy on cuts to policing? To domestic violence services? On Universal Credit and its effect on domestic violence?
www.womensaidni.org/themainevent/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/written-sumission-in-response-to-the-welfare-reform-bill-october-2012.pdf

FatherReboolaConundrum Sun 11-Nov-12 12:50:09

YANBU if s/he's a good candidate. I want to find out if the Tory candidate for the PCC post round here still thinks violent films can have a traumatic effect on dogs www.youtube.com/watch?v=inkgnuFAcqU

BoakFace Sun 11-Nov-12 13:11:13

YANBU at all - it's your choice!

TidyDancer Sun 11-Nov-12 13:14:17

Well YANBU, but unfortunately I do not think I could vote for a Tory because they do stand for a party whose policies, actions and attitude I find to be disgusting and disgraceful. But I get what you mean and I support your stance.

TidyDancer Sun 11-Nov-12 13:16:30

That said I am withholding my vote on this particular occasion (first time I recall doing so) because I don't want the position at all.

sleepyhead Sun 11-Nov-12 13:19:25

Depends.

Is he/she a person of integrity and conscience, who would stand up for what they believe, and what they promised the local electorate, no matter what their party tells them they want them to say or do,

or would, although they take the popular line now, their opinions and actions would be swayed by the party in Westminster, despite what the people that voted for them want.

I've come across plenty of politicians of both stripes, unfortunately probably more of the latter.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now