Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To ask you to tell me what food you'd rather we provided for our December drinks party!

(67 Posts)
eightytwenty Sat 10-Nov-12 20:46:44

Dh and I can't agree how substantial our 'nibbles' have to be for our 40th birthday. We're starting at 8, mostly local friends, but also some who will have travelled a fair distance to join us. I'm voting for small portions of curry & rice as well as some Indian starters.. He thinks people will be there for the drink and that the starters will be fine on their own.

Onlyaphase Sat 10-Nov-12 20:49:22

An 8pm start will mean people will eat beforehand surely? Drinks parties starting at 8pm don't have food IME.

RuleBritannia Sat 10-Nov-12 20:51:02

I had a big party once and got an Indian cook to do the catering. It was all curry and hot, spicy stuff. It was mostly popular but there were some present who couldn't stand hot, spicy stuff so please don't have just curry and Indian food. Have variety.

Smoked salmon roulades
Prawns and mayonnaise on savoury biscuits.
Pick your own salad like cherry tomatoes or cucumber sticks and dip.

picnicbasketcase Sat 10-Nov-12 20:51:24

I would expect a party that starts at 8 to just have snacks and nibbly things. You could always have mini bhajis and samosas if you want Indian food.

MissWinklyParadiso Sat 10-Nov-12 20:51:49

8pm isn't a late start and if people are travelling, they'll need something reasonably substantial.

LaCiccolina Sat 10-Nov-12 20:53:08

Iceland 75 bits o Chix for a £5, few pizzas and an attempt at a cake. Keep me sober enuf not to b sick but drunk enuf to say I luv u! Lol xxxx

bowerbird Sat 10-Nov-12 20:56:29

I think your idea of Indian starters and curry and rice is fantastic. It's so lovely to be able to have a plate of proper hot food at a party. It's more convivial and people won't get as drunk. Also, I find a big pot of something: curry, chili, pasta etc. is no more bother to prepare (and you could make it in advance) than a whole heap of nibbles.

Happy 40th! I hope you have a lovely evening.

CMOTDibbler Sat 10-Nov-12 20:57:39

I think you'd be ok either way, but just let people know what the score is with food - 8 if you have had to get ready, shove kids into bed for babysitter, and drive over isn't a lot of time, but if you know you won't be fed, you can grab something.

Justfeckingdoit Sat 10-Nov-12 20:58:49

Pombears.

Loshad Sat 10-Nov-12 20:59:19

I would expect to be fed at a party starting at 8. Curry and rice sounds good.

MyThumbsHaveGoneWeird Sat 10-Nov-12 21:00:55

I would usually eat dinner at 8.30/9pm, so Id enjoy a party more if I got fed. I wouldn't assume though and would just eat before or after instead if it was a "drinks" party. What sort of time do your friends eat in the evening? If you want to feed people but aren't sure about doing it all yourself what about making it a potluck and asking everyone to bring a dish?

hopkinette Sat 10-Nov-12 21:04:22

Pissing myself at LaCiccolina.

Almostfifty Sat 10-Nov-12 21:07:08

I would either tell people it's nibbles, or do much more food. We had a party starting at 7.30 recently and there was no food left by 9pm!

PoppyWearer Sat 10-Nov-12 21:10:20

grin at Pombears.

Don't have a party. Too stressful. Go and spend a night in a hotel or have a holiday if the budget allows.

bedmonster Sat 10-Nov-12 21:11:15

Depends on the amount of clearing up you want to do. At a drinks sort of party I wouldn't expect to be 'fed' as such, but would be nice to have lots of nibbles on offer. Big pot of curry and a load of rice would be easier to prepare in advance and easy to tell people to help themselves. Nibbles requires a lot more effort in terms of heating stuff in batches and constantly topping up etc.
That wasn't much help was it?!

WelshMaenad Sat 10-Nov-12 21:11:35

Basket of nice sliced breads, cold meats, maybe a ham cooked in coke for carving, salad, big dish of pâté, something veggie!

catgirl1976 Sat 10-Nov-12 21:13:40

All the food

But I am greedy and we don't eat dinner till 9pm

OutragedAtThePriceOfFreddos Sat 10-Nov-12 21:15:54

I think our idea sounds lovely, and I would definitely have more than nibbles at a December 40th birthday party.

Small plates of curry and rice and Indian starters will be great for most people, but I think, as RuleBrittania says, there is very likely to be a few that won't like it. I'd offer a small amount of something else too, or at least tell people that you will be serving Indian food so that those who don't like it will make sure they eat before they come.

BluelightsAndSirens Sat 10-Nov-12 21:20:02

Curry, rice and breads sound nice plus Indian nibbles with raitha & chutney for dipping.

I don't like hot, spicy curry so you may want to think of doing a korma plus a hot one, can you get hold of a few slow cookers? Perfect for keeping it all warm!

8pm I would like to have some food.

Happy 40th btw smile

BluelightsAndSirens Sat 10-Nov-12 21:22:44

Don't forget the vegetarians in regards to the curry!

IloveJudgeJudy Sat 10-Nov-12 21:27:50

For a 40th starting at 8 I would expect proper food - either a buffet or hot food. When we have big parties here I always do a spag bol, and two other dishes, maybe an Indian curry and a Thai curry or a stew of some kind. That is no more to prepare than a buffet imo.

Whatever you do, have fun.

cantspel Sat 10-Nov-12 21:28:27

Love curry and rice at a party with a selection of nan breads, popadums and bhajees. i would do a couple of meat currys and a veg one.

Love it so much i had it a both my engagement party and my wedding.

eightytwenty Sat 10-Nov-12 21:29:25

Mmm pombears and Iceland - maybe another party.

Poppy - in truth am with you. Slightly terrified. And am also too busy/ lazy to do the catering myself (Xmas, 2 dc's birthdays, work). So doing as you suggested rule and either getting Indian restaurant or catering company to come to the rescue.

Have said nibbles on the invite, but as all have kids i think they'll either be eating early or be too busy to eat much. Which is why I think we need to provide more.

Have talked about doing a mild chicken and medium veg curry. Agree? And what else could I provide for non Indian lovers?

eightytwenty Sat 10-Nov-12 21:30:50

And meant to add what a friendly bunch you are tonight! Meanie mn types must be elsewhere.

whatsforyou Sat 10-Nov-12 21:36:08

I was at a party recently and they had got several brie cheeses cut into wedges, put in little dishes, heated in the oven and served with crusty bread. So simple and very yum!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now