Talk

Advanced search

To use the word 'cool'?

(28 Posts)
Mayanala Sat 10-Nov-12 19:37:24

I'm 30 and have been saying it since I was at at school and now it's just part of my vocabulary.

A lot of parents who have DC the same age as me are in their early 40's and I sometimes feel like a bit of a teenager when I talk to them as I hear myself using words they don't like 'cool' and 'like'.

AIBU to be a bit paranoid about this?

TulisaLover Sat 10-Nov-12 19:39:58

I have never used that word. So YABU - it sounds like you're trying to channel the Fonz. Only Winkler could pull off it's use.

hygienequeen Sat 10-Nov-12 19:40:40

YANBU i often feel a million years old when i hear myself saying these words .. i also have had a an irritating habit of saying 'totes' lately (crriiiiiiinge ) and i'm 37 !

keriatthetate Sat 10-Nov-12 19:42:44

I think the new "cool" was "dope" until it changed again.

Tweasels Sat 10-Nov-12 19:45:18

I work with teenagers. Some of my colleagues use it to sound "down with the kids"

Cool, yeah, yeah cool.

NOT COOL.

insprognito Sat 10-Nov-12 19:45:30

No you're not BU. If it was used in excess it could sound a little bit sad though. I'm in the same age bracket as you and I use the word sometimes ,as do my children (well apart from the 10mnth old obv).

RyleDup Sat 10-Nov-12 19:52:03

I still say it and I'm 43.
I don't think it sounds cool though grin

EugenesAxe Sat 10-Nov-12 19:53:17

I say cool - I'm 37. Also 'Wow!'... but I don't mind that one as DS (2.9) is uber-cute when he says in a very serious voice 'Oh wow Mummy, wow!'.

For some bizarre reason I often have banana as an addendum. 'Cool banana!'

butterflybuns Sat 10-Nov-12 19:56:44

I'm 32 and often say cool. I particularly like coolio as well. Am so not cool though.

neski36 Sat 10-Nov-12 20:00:19

It depends the way you say it. If you say cool whilst doing a hi-five or thumbs up then no but otherwise it's cool.

autumnfrost Sat 10-Nov-12 20:00:25

I say cool a lot/.My ds1 talks like lol hashtagsmileyface

TheReturnOfBridezilla Sat 10-Nov-12 20:04:49

I say "cool" too. I've managed to stop saying "wicked" in work now though. Although "no worries" sometimes pops out too. I'm a late twenties professional and a mother of two. I'm neither wicked or cool. grin

HokeyCokeyPigInAPokey Sat 10-Nov-12 20:08:27

YANBU i say cool, i am 37.

I can't stand coolio though!

CarpeThingy Sat 10-Nov-12 20:10:11

I'd associate it more with the 70s than any other decade, so if anything you're sounding slightly older than you are. In which case I wouldn't worry about using it with 40 year olds at all.

lljkk Sat 10-Nov-12 20:16:30

I was a teenager in the 1970s and I claim the right to say "COOL" until I'm rotting in my grave.

Ditto with Whatever, LIKE, and eye rolling. DC are no match for my long-honed verbal repartee.

Besides epic is the current IT word for school age kids. Even my 4yo knows to call things epic (except when they're awesome, but that's retro too as far as I'm concerned).

SoulTrain Sat 10-Nov-12 20:20:01

I say cool, no worries and like. I'm 29 and very not cool. It's a generational thing I think. Did anyone used to say something was well "lakes" when something was good?

Mayanala Sat 10-Nov-12 20:25:54

I say no worries too blush ... and wicked blush blush

RobinSparkles Sat 10-Nov-12 20:29:46

I'm 29 and I use "cool".

I also say WICKEEEED << clicks fingers Ali G style>>.

I don't say it to be down with the kids though - my nephew is 14 and he uses a whole other language that makes me confused.

TheMonster Sat 10-Nov-12 20:36:54

I say 'cool' a lot. I have done since my mid-teens, so about twenty years.

CaliforniaLeaving Sat 10-Nov-12 20:38:24

I'm 50 and still say Cool, I've been saying it forever. You can't take that away from me. I do refuse to use most of the shortened words my teens use, Bestie, totes, laters!
I also reserve the right to use the word Dude, I have lived in California long time and use it often in exasperation or disgust. It will now be mine forever.

ilovetermtime Sat 10-Nov-12 20:41:30

Me too. I say cool a lot and cringe inwardly every time, but I just can't help it. I also say no worries loads too. I can't bring myself to say awesome though unless I'm being sarcastic smile

kozmic67 Sat 10-Nov-12 20:54:01

hey, i'm new to mumsnet, came across this thread and it made me laugh to myself, i used to use the word "man" a lot, but now its mainly "cool", "wicked" and "well good" even though as others have said, it makes me cringe and i feel old when they slip out, im 31.

RonettePulaski Sat 10-Nov-12 20:56:25

I also say fab a lot blush

MrsCantSayAnything Sat 10-Nov-12 20:58:13

Some of my 40 year old friends say "wicked" which really ages them imo.

tanfastic Sat 10-Nov-12 21:01:01

I say it sometimes without realising. I'm 39. My 4 yr old ds said to me the other day, "that's well cool mum isn't it"? That could only have come from me blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now