Talk

Advanced search

to think that if you host a party you should provide mixers?

(21 Posts)
somedayma Sat 10-Nov-12 17:51:37

for spirits? the last 2 house parties/gatherings I've been to, no mixers have been provided by the hosts. most people brought their own and I was a bit blush to have not brought something for my vodka! someone kindly shared their lemonade with me! the 2nd time I was drinking wine so didn't affect me but noticed that most spirit drinkers brought mixer with them.

I really don't know if I'm BU which is why I'm asking! This is a newish group of friends btw, so I'm not sure if my old friend group and I (different city) are weird to expect a few bottles of coke or tonic at a party.

ps I do bring a little something for the host, usually nibbles or a wee present. and everyone brings their own alcohol and drinks their own.

just wondering if I'm right or wrong!

InSPsFanjoNoOneHearsYouScream Sat 10-Nov-12 17:52:59

All the parties I've been too the host had mixers and a crate or two of beer and some spirits and people brought a bottle or a crate with them.

OutragedAtThePriceOfFreddos Sat 10-Nov-12 17:55:34

YANBU. Hosts should provide soft drinks, mixers, and relatively cheap beer and wine IMO. Spirits and extra beer and wine should be brought by guests who are planning on drinking more than one or two cans or glasses.

whois Sat 10-Nov-12 17:55:47

Yes yes yes yes yes.

House part host etiquette:

Ice. Lots of it.
Mixers. Lots.
Decent plastic pint glassses. Loads.
Several bottle openers.
Some sort of token alcohol offerine eg Crate of beer / couple of bottles of wine / punch / few bottles cheap spirits
Crisps

Easy :-)

somedayma Sat 10-Nov-12 17:56:21

I thought that was the norm! That's how I do it when I have people over. And most of the mixers are usually gone at the end of the night so I assume I'm not the only one who thinks a host will provide. Or maybe my guests are making off with a 2L bottle of sprite under their coats at the end of the night. narrows eyes

Yes to providing them, but if I was bringing spirits I would bring some of my preferred mixer too. I usually take wine or beer though.

TheSurgeonsMate Sat 10-Nov-12 18:20:19

I am posh. I think host should provide the drink!

Shesparkles Sat 10-Nov-12 18:22:04

I think the host should provide at least the basic mixers, cola, lemonade, fruit juice, tonic etc. I've never been to a party where this, and generic beer and wine hasn't been provided

beamme Sat 10-Nov-12 18:39:56

Usually host provides alcohol and mixers if appropriate. As a guest I usually take a bottle of wine with me for the host.

keriatthetate Sat 10-Nov-12 18:42:51

will no one think of the peanuts.

TiggyD Sat 10-Nov-12 18:45:36

What about the cheese and pineapple hedgehog?

hygienequeen Sat 10-Nov-12 18:49:55

We've always provided drinks and nibble's but gratefully excepted a token bottle of wine as we are hosting ...

flowery Sat 10-Nov-12 18:50:46

People bring their own alcohol and drink their own? That's a new one on me. Wouldn't that mean 5 bottles of white wine open at once or similar? confused

YANBU though.

BeerTricksPott3r Sat 10-Nov-12 19:03:19

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

socharlotte Sat 10-Nov-12 19:05:07

I have never been to a party where everyone brings their own drinks.usually host provides a good selection, people bring a bottle and everything is pooled

socharlotte Sat 10-Nov-12 19:05:39

does everyone bring themselves apacked lunch too? wink

Sariska Sat 10-Nov-12 19:55:15

YANBU.

But in my book, if you host a party you provide all the drinks. Mixers included. If people bring a bottle of wine or whatever, that's marvellous but just a bonus IYSWIM.

I thought BYOB parties are for students. [Confused]

InSPsFanjoNoOneHearsYouScream Sat 10-Nov-12 20:04:25

Partie I go to people bring a bottle or a crate and it goes on the side and people drink what they want. No one was asked to bring anything but people do

Rachel130690 Sat 10-Nov-12 20:15:15

I disagree, we regularly had house parties and you had to bring your own drink and mixers otherwise you didn't drink. It was the rules of our house and our friends knew this. So maybe that's different.

We could of had 20+ and hardly anyone drank the same things so we would of been out a fortune.

Although we did supply the shots and on occasion made cocktails for everyone but it wasn't always guaranteed.

missmalteser Sat 10-Nov-12 20:16:51

You must all host very posh parties, if I provided alcohol at parties I would soon be bankrupt! Yy to mixers and some communal seasonal drinks- but no way could I provide ALL the alcohol, would be hundreds of pounds worth, mind you I am in NI so maybe we tend to drink a little bit more then normal lol

squeakytoy Sat 10-Nov-12 20:18:34

yanbu.. hosts usually provide plenty of lemonade/coke and orange .. as well as a few beers, but guests will take their own spirits and beers too..

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now