Talk

Advanced search

30 Reception children being supervised by two nine year olds, no adults present

(26 Posts)
Whistlingwaves Sat 10-Nov-12 15:09:17

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

KateBeckett Sat 10-Nov-12 15:12:18

Are you sure they are alone?

At my school some of the older kids are 'play leaders' at playtimes and lunchtimes, but that doesn't mean there are no adults around!!

Skang Sat 10-Nov-12 15:12:41

Where is it happening? In a classroom? Is there not a hall?

frenchfancy Sat 10-Nov-12 15:14:21

I think a phone call to the school is in order. Even if there is an adult somewhere, if the children THINK they are being supervised by 9 year old children then that is wrong. They need to know there is an Adult there in case of need.

PamelaSwynfordDeBeaufort Sat 10-Nov-12 15:14:49

I would be unhappy about 2 nine years olds supervising my dd instead of staff.

However I think you might want to speak to the school as I don't believe she has told you quite the right tale.

Whistlingwaves Sat 10-Nov-12 15:16:06

SandStorm Sat 10-Nov-12 15:16:55

We have wet play monitors who are always year 6 children and there are two members of staff floating between the classes. However, we are a very small school with only 5 classes, 3 of which are only 1/2 intake.

Whistlingwaves Sat 10-Nov-12 15:25:08

lovebunny Sat 10-Nov-12 15:54:23

don't phone. call in. see for yourself. its very easy to cover up a bad situation when alerted by phone.

socharlotte Sat 10-Nov-12 17:40:20

I absolutely believe this to be true.When i used to help in my DSs first school a class of reception children would be left completely unsupervised on wet breaktimes and with only 'floating ' cover on a lunchtime.
But what do you suggest?There is no way the school can fund 1 MDS per class.It is the law that staff have to have a lunchbreak

mogandme Sat 10-Nov-12 17:43:19

I have seen this happen in schools where I have been on placement - and remember this from when I was a child. 2 children usually girls from year 6 would go and cover another class during wet play. Dinner ladies would float about but generally they were in charge.

TheOneWithTheHair Sat 10-Nov-12 17:45:46

This probably isn't going to be a popular opinion but I think it's a good idea. It's not as if there are no adults around to call on for help and it gives the older children a sense of responsibility towards their community.

Almostfifty Sat 10-Nov-12 17:47:11

I used to be a wet weather monitor at school aeons ago. No teachers to be seen anywhere, we had to go to the office if we had a problem.

I imagine it's the norm in most schools.

difficultpickle Sat 10-Nov-12 17:48:57

We used to do this when I was at school many years ago.

frogspoon Sat 10-Nov-12 17:50:19

When I was at primary school we used to have unsupervised wet break time where we were expected to sit in the classroom unsupervised (floating staff on duty)

One wet break some older girls (year 4?) were playing with a classroom door and it crushed a girl's finger, breaking it very badly (she needed an operation and almost lost part of her finger). After that we were all sent to the hall at break with a member of staff on duty.

This situation is an accident waiting to happen.

spottyock Sat 10-Nov-12 17:52:26

I wouldn't think this was unusual practise during wet play across the country. 3/4 monitors per class with floating SMSAs.

Whistlingwaves Sat 10-Nov-12 18:06:44

Ilovecake1 Sat 10-Nov-12 18:25:39

As a mum to a child with SN you really need to address this ASAP!! This is absolutely despicable for any of the children of that age to be left without adult supervision let alone a child with SN. Please let us know what you decide to do.

44SoStartingOver Sat 10-Nov-12 18:28:27

Er no ! Not normal at all!

At my dc school, I know the tas cover during wet play. Obviously quite an imposition on them, but they are now paid for it. Part and parcel of primary school IMO.

FolkGhoul Sat 10-Nov-12 18:49:06

They won't be alone. There will be a teacher/TA/dinnerlady present and 'on duty'.

It's done to teach the older children about responsibility and to give the younger children an opportunity to mix with the older children.

The evidence is that bullying happens less in schools where they do this sort of thing. And confidence and social skills are improved.

The school will know full well which classes contain children with epi pens etc - their care plans will be up in the staffroom and all staff who have responsibility for the children will be fully briefed.

The children may think they are unsupervised and in charge, but they're not.

socharlotte Sat 10-Nov-12 19:14:01

'At my dc school, I know the tas cover during wet play'

but by law they have to be allowed to take a lunch break??

44SoStartingOver Sat 10-Nov-12 20:06:37

Yes, I believe they take 1/2 hour and split the shift, so can cover the other 45m.

44SoStartingOver Sat 10-Nov-12 20:07:15

Plus if you only work 5h, you don't get a lunch break.

stillsmarting Sat 10-Nov-12 20:08:33

This would almost certainly breach child protection guidelines and if it is true then the Head needs to take action. Most Heads would be terrified that a child might have an accident under those circumstances.
I would try to find out what really happens from the Head.

PiedWagtail Sat 10-Nov-12 20:37:24

Our lower school has lunchtime supervisors. I am sure they should have. It is not legal for children to supervise children. Either have a word with your teacher or ring the HT for a chat.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now