Talk

Advanced search

Annoyed with my 13 year old dd

(21 Posts)
Loveweekends10 Sat 10-Nov-12 09:36:23

We have spent quite a bit of money on this years present a digital piano. She had a few friends over for a sleepover and this morning she opened her presents and appeared underwhelmed by them. It's probably the most we have spent yet the poorest response. I feel she is ungrateful although I'm not sure if she was playing it down infront of her friends.
Next year she gets a book and a jumper!

TheCatIsEatingIt Sat 10-Nov-12 09:46:22

She's probably a) knackered and b) self-conscious in front of her friends. Have a chilled day, see if she'll doze in front of a DVD, and see how she is later.

squeakytoy Sat 10-Nov-12 09:47:40

she is a teenager... that is all.

FeckOffCup Sat 10-Nov-12 10:10:33

I agree that she was probably self conscious if her friends were there, I would have hated opening presents in front of friends at that age, it's so fraught with social anxiety and not wanting to appear overly enthusiastic in case it's uncool.

MaryZezItsOnlyJustNovember Sat 10-Nov-12 10:16:12

Didn't you know that showing enthusiasm in front of friends is seriously uncool shock. And admitting that your parents have done something good is even uncooler.

Wait until this evening and talk to her.

MaryZezItsOnlyJustNovember Sat 10-Nov-12 10:17:24

And also, wanting a piano rather than the latest iphone/gadget is probably uncool as well.

ds's friends are unimpressed that he wants a guitar rather than an iphone.

ImperialFireworksInMyKnickers Sat 10-Nov-12 10:29:38

I've got four 13 year olds still asleep on various floors and sofas. The only thing they are likely to express enthusiasm about in each other's presence is the cat, who has very sensibly hidden away from all the forcible cuddling.

They're much nicer when their friends aren't looking.

(Only two of them are mine btw)

CouthyMowEatingBraiiiiinz Sat 10-Nov-12 10:33:13

Welcome to the teenage years...grin

slartybartfast Sat 10-Nov-12 10:33:29

she is only keeping up appearances for the sake of her friends. i take it she wanted a digital piano?

TantrumsAndBalloons Sat 10-Nov-12 10:34:01

Oh enthusiasm isn't cool. At all.

<glares at teenagers who act like they appreciate nothing>

She's just 13. That's all.

I currently have 4 13 year old boys and 3 14 year old girls sleeping in my house. Only 2 of them belong to me.

If I gave them anything right now id be lucky to get mmm thanks grunted at me.

pictish Sat 10-Nov-12 10:35:11

I agree. Perhaps opening the presents in front of her friends wasn't the best time. It's social suicide to enthuse over anything your parents do at that age.
Too cool for school. wink

thebody Sat 10-Nov-12 10:35:39

Of course she was embarrassed about opening mummies present in front if her friends... What did you expect a hug and kiss?

Seriously she probably loves it( ghat is if she asked for it) and will hug you later when friends fine home.

She is acting normally..

MaryZezItsOnlyJustNovember Sat 10-Nov-12 10:36:43

I dunno, Tantrums.

You might get some enthusiasm for a full cooked breakfast. Sausages, bacon and French toast usually get some sort of muttered thanks. Anything less is just "meh, whatevs".

LynetteScavo Sat 10-Nov-12 10:37:54

It's really uncool to be excited about a piano (or anything except an iphone 5) in front of your friends when you are 13.

Loveweekends10 Sat 10-Nov-12 10:49:11

You are right. She is better now the other kids have gone and is playing on it now. I guess I just had high expectations of the wow factor.

pictish Sat 10-Nov-12 10:50:32

If you had kept that particular gift till later, you would have got it. wink

It's a shame for you, but my eldest is 11 and I will bear this in mind. So thanks for the heads up. grin

TantrumsAndBalloons Sat 10-Nov-12 11:05:32

I don't do cooked breakfast maryz

I provide a room to sleep in and access to the fridge.
That's it.

I refuse to cook for 5 children that aren't mine grin

They are all about to head off for the cafe.
Dd and her friends are going to Costa
DS and his friends to the greasy cafe at the top of the road!

MaryZezItsOnlyJustNovember Sat 10-Nov-12 11:25:53

Last week ds2 cooked breakfast for dd and all her friends confused. I suspect he is hoping for her to do it for him, next time he has friends over.

He may be waiting a while.

TantrumsAndBalloons Sat 10-Nov-12 11:26:59

It would be a long wait before either of mine cooked breakfast for anyone!

spg1983 Sat 10-Nov-12 11:54:45

I remember being a bit embarrassed about my presents I opened in front of other children...my parents always spent a LOT on my main present and I was always conscious of my lovely best friend who was watching me open the present, knowing they'd never get anything like that from their parents. Of course I fully appreciated the presents, I just didn't want to rub my friend's nose in it... Just another idea of what may be going on here OP.

lovebunny Sat 10-Nov-12 12:15:33

opening presents in front of friends is a bad idea - she might have already told them something else she was hoping for, and anyway, if what she got was something she'd like but they'd not understand, she'd feel she had to go along with them...
teenagers can be horrible. it's nature's way of preparing you so that that when they leave, you heave a sigh of relief to balance out having your heart wrenched from your body and casually dropped in the cheap litter bin of a squalid room in a hall of residence.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now