Talk

Advanced search

to wonder...am I missing out?

(21 Posts)
fallingsun Sat 10-Nov-12 06:56:08

I see the queues outside the apple shop whenever a new gizmo comes out... I hear people say they love their iPad/Samsung whatever and now I wonder, am I missing out?

I have a work laptop I use for email/banking, I have an android phone I use for surfing/mn/shopping and if I want a book I buy one in smiths.

But I can't help thinking maybe I'm missing out, I could afford one of these iPad gizmos but havrnt got one?

Aibu not to have one, an I missing something here, I don't know what they would do that can't be done on a laptop/android?

nellyjelly Sat 10-Nov-12 07:06:30

Well it's only another gadget so NU but i lloooooove my ipad so much.

No it is no use really for working on documents or doing alot of typing IMO but for quick, easy net access it is fab. Plus some great apps, itunes on there too. So portable and doesn't have to boot up.

1sassylassy Sat 10-Nov-12 07:21:40

Think of it as a big phone which wont make calls,it does all your phone can do but the viewing area is larger,I have an android tablet,when I first had it I used it constantly but the novelty wore off,tend to use it when I want to MN from the sofa or fancy a read as I have the Kindle app on it.

OverWintered Sat 10-Nov-12 07:23:23

probably not. I find the over zealous worship at the "temple of apple" a bit creepy to bewindow honest...... we are mainly windows and android here, but do own an ipod and ishuffle, good products, but don't feel the need to convert to the faith of apple

OverWintered Sat 10-Nov-12 07:25:09

bewindow.......be weird. I got early morning sausage fingers here

NatashaBee Sat 10-Nov-12 07:25:18

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TheSkiingGardener Sat 10-Nov-12 07:26:26

They're toys. They won't do anything your laptop/phone can't but the are fun to have.

Fakebook Sat 10-Nov-12 07:28:20

iPhone iPad, it's all about the brand. Only weak people give in to the hysteria surrounding iPhone iPad and go and buy one to fit in. Are you weak?

Sent from my iPhone 4S

ZenNudist Sat 10-Nov-12 07:41:03

I do love dh's iPad - ds watches cartoons and plays games on it, I read the paper on it. It's useful because it's bigger than my phone but it's connected to t'internet all the time. And it's 3G so we take it everywhere.

I just got a new Samsung 7' tablet which I'm going to use for work. Hoping that's going to be as useful. I wanted something I could flick on and get to documents /emails I've saved from my last job plus view them & email them to myself at new work address. And I'm hoping to mumsnet / read the paper on it too.

I'd say don't just rely on work laptop. I recently lost my job & was so glad that I had a net book set up with my personal email already. To be fair netbook not used as much now we have iPad but it's much better for using office & typing email or certain things are really hard to do online on a tablet.

We are big on technology in this house!

Mrsrobertduvallsaysboo Sat 10-Nov-12 07:41:09

I am a total luddite. My phone cost £3.75. I have never been in an apple shop. I do not know anything about apps or smartphones or bbm.

However we have a family ipad and it is wonderful.

fallingsun Sat 10-Nov-12 07:48:30

Fakebook I love your post!hahaha.

I think I'll stick with my cheap technology, I'll buy one of these tablets when I've finished reading my paperbacks years away

I've noticed on the news before that Apple charge more to UK customers for downloads and probably purchase price too, that's put me off them tbh.

ENormaSnob Sat 10-Nov-12 08:07:11

I love my iPhone but am not really arsed about anything else appley tbh.

googlenut Sat 10-Nov-12 08:14:12

There are loads of things you can do with an iPhone/iPad. I run a lot and my phone will measure the distance and pace of my run and I can listen to talks while I'm running via podcast. I can check email and mumsnet with a quick press of a button. I can download books with a kindle ap or listen to them by buying audiobooks. There is an endless list of things it can do and it's smaller than my passport.
I'm a total convert to apple and should really be separated from my phone a bit if km honest. grin

nokidshere Sat 10-Nov-12 09:44:10

I'm on my iPad now. My sisters bought it me for my 50th birthday grin but if I had been paying for it myself I would say that's it's overpriced and not worth it.

It's useful certainly, but too big to carry round, too small for big projects and I find it really hard to type on. Have to say the children just love it and use it far more than me. Even the 2 year old can use his own apps on it lol

TulisaLover Sat 10-Nov-12 10:09:55

You are not missing out. I have an iPad, a nexus 7 and a kindle fire hd which I was given as gifts. all of hem are rubbish compared to my 8 core 64gb RAM desktop pc. Not a single one if them can play mass effect 3 @1920x1200 ultra detail with anything like a decent framerate. I will be chucking them out in a 'life laundry' exercise next month.

TulisaLover Sat 10-Nov-12 10:11:44

oh and those that worship at the altar of consumerism are destined to due unfulfilled. Dappy, 2011.

Fakebook Sat 10-Nov-12 11:21:22

TulisaLover, is that you saying that, or your "dp"?

OutragedAtThePriceOfFreddos Sat 10-Nov-12 11:35:59

I love my iPad. It's so much easier when you want to look something up quickly on the Internet, rather than having to wait for my old NetBook to boot up. I take it on holiday with me and read off it, I use it for writing documents at home and when away from home, I like having all my photos so easily accessible on it, I like being able to take pictures from my phone and have them automatically appear on my iPad, and I use iplayer on it if I want to listen to a programme when I'm cleaning or ironing and DH or the dc are using the big telly. It's fab, and I didn't realise how much I would use it until I actually got one.

Floralnomad Sat 10-Nov-12 11:47:26

I love my iPad , my DD loves her iPad ( doubles as a kindle ) our main computer gets turned on about once a month now . iPads are so quick and convenient. Having said that I wouldn't buy an iPhone mainly because I tend to drop phones and put them through the wash so wouldn't spend that kind of money.

fuzzpig Sat 10-Nov-12 12:15:46

I really love my iPhone 3GS and our family iPad 1. But I didn't pay for wife of them! I have a lovely fairly wealthy friend who upgrades all his tech at every opportunity, but instead of selling his old ones, he gives them to his friends (and in perfect condition, as he treats his gadgets like babies!)

My iPhone is on its last legs now, I'll be sad to see the end of it and there's no way I could afford one even on contract (I only pay £5 a month on giffgaff) so I will just get something else I think, and at least I can still do the same stuff on the iPad. DH has an HTC which is nice but nothing like an iAnything IMO.

fuzzpig Sat 10-Nov-12 12:16:36

Wife?!? I meant either.

I'm not actually married to my gadgets.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now