Talk

Advanced search

to refuse to go food shopping til everything is used up?

(12 Posts)
bellabreeze Fri 09-Nov-12 17:06:10

The freezer and cupboards have plenty of food even though according to 2 of my DCs there's 'nothing to eat' I cook a dinner every night and prepare breakfast and lunch for themapart from 13 year old DD sometimes when she's out, anyway I get the impression that she expects a selection of food to be available that requires no prep at all and she can just get out and eat.. she could do that with toast/sandwiches but that's not good enough apparently!
So aibu to not buy any more food until all the stuff in the cupboards and freezer is used up? There is plenty of pasta, rice, lentils, tins of beans, chickpeas, frozen veg, things for pasta sauces, curries etc. And there is oven chips, couple of frozen pizzas etc., loads of potatos, eggs, cheese, loaves of bread in the freezer and plenty more food too.
I am sick of the same stuff getting left all the time and then I just go out and buy more food... aibu to use it all up cooking meals and only buy more when its all gone? Oldest DD will have to think of stuff to eat when she's hungry instead of saying there's nothing to eat.

bellabreeze Fri 09-Nov-12 17:06:37

Just noticed the lack of paragraphs, sorry everyone

Sparklingbrook Fri 09-Nov-12 17:07:25

YANBU and I have a 13 year old DS who is always moaning there's nothing to eat when there clearly is. angry

TheSkiingGardener Fri 09-Nov-12 17:07:50

Absolutely. Stick to your guns and just laugh at the resultant strops!

SpottyTeacakes Fri 09-Nov-12 17:09:31

YANBU do it and let us know how it goes! Dd is only 2 so I don't have to worry about that yet plus by the time Friday comes we have no food at all!

noisytoys Fri 09-Nov-12 17:09:56

YANBU. I'm doing the same but only because the freezer needs defrosting and I can't do it until everything is used up

dreamingofsun Fri 09-Nov-12 17:10:17

we normally do that before hols as i'm broke and its a way of using up all the stuff that no-one's really fancied but is perfectly edible. we are currently doing this with meat from freezer as i've noticed some of its getting a bit old.

13 year olds would rather eat cake all the time and will claim no foods in the house despite cupboards heeving. smile and breath

cozietoesie Fri 09-Nov-12 17:10:31

Trouble is that in the depths of the freezer/cupboards you can find some very strange things indeed - impulse buys or things that you'd always meant to start cooking but neglected in favour of easy times.

I'm resigned to having 'weird November' where the menus on any one day are ........challenging. What the rest of the family are going to make of it is anyone's guess.

MrsCantSayAnything Fri 09-Nov-12 17:10:51

Yabu. It's a miserable existence if you can never have a biscuit or a yogurt! You can buy a massive packet of biscuits for about 50p.

Sparklingbrook Fri 09-Nov-12 17:14:53

MrsCant do you have a 13 year old? grin Miserable sums it up. grin

NatashaBee Fri 09-Nov-12 17:24:31

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

bellabreeze Fri 09-Nov-12 17:30:54

I bought 2 HUGE bags of lentils a long time ago because I imagined them being really useful, DCs will never want to see a lentil again when I'm finished with them! Coming up: lentil concoction on a baked potato, in a curry, with pasta, with noodles.. the list goes on..

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now