Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to not want my MIL feeding baby chocolate all the time?

(13 Posts)
newmummytobe79 Fri 09-Nov-12 16:04:38

I can't work out if I am or not - so please let me know.

DC is 13 months. I would rather chocolate was not a daily part of diet but not bothered about the odd treat eg a small amount of cake at parties etc

DC has started getting fussy with food and not keen on fruit. I'm trying my best to include it in diet.

MIL seems to have an obsession of feeding DC chocolate and biscuits - not a massive amount but it's every time she see's DC. This is at least once a week. And then sends me home with DC's 'favourite' ... which I eat grin

I've not said 'don't feed that' as I don't know if I'm being unreasonable or not? But I have mentioned how fussy DC is at the moment and that we're encouraging healthy foods.

MIL has tried to feed DC fruit but then says 'oh baby won't eat it but loves biscuits etc'.

So ... for once a week do I let it go and see that day as treat day? Or should I say something?

Don't want to upset her but getting tired of hearing about how much DC loves chocolate and biscuits ... at 13 months.

AIBU? confused

pictish Fri 09-Nov-12 16:05:31

Just let it be treat day.

Arithmeticulous Fri 09-Nov-12 16:06:10

Accept the chocolate. Eat the chocolate.

You would only be doing it for the baby grin

amarylisnightandday Fri 09-Nov-12 16:11:28

Yanbu - you are his mother and therefore in charge. It's not really about chocolate its about respecting your wishes.

Exp had friends who would come and see dd at that age and feed her nestle chocolate - two big nos in my house - without adoring my permission - thru thought it was hilarious.

Treadmillmom Fri 09-Nov-12 16:11:30

Is it really only one day a week?
Then yes YABU.
It's their little thing together, it's not big deal, you stick to the healthy stuff the other 6 days and all will be fine.
Children's pallets are constantly changing, the fruit and veg they eat today, they'll hate when they're 2, love it again at 5 and in between liking and disliking other stuff.

ceeveebee Fri 09-Nov-12 16:13:36

Once a week is hardly 'all the time'.

MulledWineOnTheBusLady Fri 09-Nov-12 16:17:51

Big disclaimer: I'm probably totally unrealistic on these threads cos I don't have any kids. smile

It doesn't sound terrible yet. But I don't think YABU to want to keep an eye on it, and stop it turning into "forbidden treats with gran" as against boring, healthy mummy the rest of the time, because that is a very unhelpful way to think about food.

My grandma did this to a level verging on the dysfunctional, and looking back I really feel for my poor mum who tried to stop it. I ate way too much chocolate for a long time, it just wasn't good and I shudder when I think about it now.

RedHelenB Fri 09-Nov-12 16:18:46

YABU

Alibabaandthe40nappies Fri 09-Nov-12 16:22:13

YABU

It is only once a week, and much better for it to be coming from someone other that you because then it isn't part of the routine.

And don't make a fuss about it in front of your DS, just treat it as you would any other food.

PeazlyPops Fri 09-Nov-12 16:24:10

YANBU

PickledFanjoCat Fri 09-Nov-12 16:25:20

I'd let ds have the treat once a week, and continue and eat anything debt home with him Myself! grin

mummybare Fri 09-Nov-12 16:32:48

YANBU. I wouldn't be happy about it at all, not least because MIL is sending the message that crap food = treats, thereby undermining positive attitude to healthy food you're trying to create.

I would have a word, but try not to make it come across as criticism ('You always...'), but more like, 'This is a problem, let's fix it together' type thing.

Good luck!

GrimmaTheNome Fri 09-Nov-12 16:33:25

YABU if you make a fuss over it...but also, your MIL IBU if she hasn't taken the hint that you'd rather she didn't do this.

YANBU to eat whatever she sends home with you grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now