Talk

Advanced search

to go home and go to bed when there's a cleaner in my house?

(34 Posts)
TheOnlyPersonInTheDarkDarkRoom Fri 09-Nov-12 14:34:09

That's it really.
I'm absolutely exhausted, I can quite often finish work early on a Friday, but that's the day the cleaner comes.

Last week I was on annual leave so I went to Tesco when she arrived, but when I went home she was still there so I drove straight past and went and sat in a pub car park so I didn't make her feel awkward. I can't do that every week!

I sort of think well it's my home so I shouldn't avoid going there really. And, you know, I'm knackered.

Gigondas Fri 09-Nov-12 14:35:01

Yanbu- but I do understand the guilt. I have been unwell and felt like I had to get up some days Because cleaner was there.

conorsrockers Fri 09-Nov-12 14:35:06

There's always loads of us in the house when the cleaner comes confused

thumper1806 Fri 09-Nov-12 14:35:32

Go to bed. You pay her whether you are working/in bed/ dancing a salso on the dining table.

Have a nice sleep.

thumper1806 Fri 09-Nov-12 14:35:49

salsa

Voiceofthevoiceless Fri 09-Nov-12 14:37:15

Ask your cleaner to come on a date when you don't often finish early confused

TheOnlyPersonInTheDarkDarkRoom Fri 09-Nov-12 14:37:31

Yeah I'm just not sure how I'd feel if I was cleaning someone's house and they were having a kip upstairs. But then if I worked nights it'd be the same thing wouldn't it.

I bet she'll think I'm a right lazy c()w which I am

GoldPlatedNineDoors Fri 09-Nov-12 14:38:08

Agree with ^^

Book her for a different day.

TheOnlyPersonInTheDarkDarkRoom Fri 09-Nov-12 14:38:50

Voiceofthevoiceless sadly Friday p.m. is the only time she could fit us in. She was recommended by friends and she's only been coming for 2 weeks so we can't really get rid of her yet even if we wanted. But the day is not ideal.

lovelyladuree Fri 09-Nov-12 14:39:45

I wish my house was tidy enough to employ a cleaner envy

LRDtheFeministDragon Fri 09-Nov-12 14:41:11

I would. If you feel a bit embarrassed just tell her your shift pattern means you need to sleep now.

I would think it's much nicer for her than having you around underfoot - so long as you won't mind her making a noise.

EuroShagmore Fri 09-Nov-12 14:52:25

I understand the guilt/awkwardness but I have done it when ill. I just went to bed and told the cleaner not to bother with that room. She did the rest of the house and just left me in bed.

PuffPants Fri 09-Nov-12 14:56:46

You are paying her. To do a job. What you do during that time is none of her concern.

People are so weird about cleaners.

dontcallmehon Fri 09-Nov-12 14:59:22

Just tell her that you're tired and will be having a kip. I'm sure the cleaner will be fine.

Viviennemary Fri 09-Nov-12 15:02:45

I had a cleaner once who was a bit touchy on this subject. She was furious one day at somebody (not me!) who was sitting in the garden reading while she, she the cleaner was doing the washing up. Depends on your cleaner.

PuffPants Fri 09-Nov-12 15:13:39

Vivienne - what did the cleaner want the employer to be doing while she was cleaning? confused

Viviennemary Fri 09-Nov-12 15:20:38

She thought the employer should do her own washing up. And didn't think it was a cleaner's place to wash up! So I thought I wonder what she's saying to other people about me! grin

I've done it when I have been hungover ill, I have also been at the kitchen table MNing, don't really see why it should be a problem.

Mine doesn't seem bothered (probably has choice words about me behind my back though).

EternalHope Fri 09-Nov-12 15:33:57

Logically, it should be fine. Your cleaner works during her work hours and no doubt relaxes when she gets home from work. Why should it be different for you? Those couple of hours on a Friday happen to be work hours for your cleaner but not for you.

IKWYM about feeling self conscious though and have no real solution to that apart form telling you to brazen it out!

UserError Fri 09-Nov-12 15:40:12

I'm really glad you asked this as I wanted to go to bed when our cleaner was here this week (first week back at work for me after being off for a year ill) but I couldn't because I didn't want to be rude!

ladygoldenlion Fri 09-Nov-12 16:16:14

I would only say YABU because then your bedroom doesn't get cleaned - but if you're feeling shattered then it is your right!

I make sure we are out for ours (Friday morning) and I do love coming home after she's been, house smells lovely <luffs cleaner emoticon>

vintageviolets Fri 09-Nov-12 16:23:06

I wouldn't mind, as long as I got paid, it's fine.

hope your Hoover is quiet

HappyTurquoise Fri 09-Nov-12 16:33:43

YANBU at all. It is your house, after all. I'm a cleaner and am asked by some people to clean their bedroom first so someone can go to sleep in it. Really never a problem, but it does help to be told what's expected on arrival, or to get into a routine which suits everyone. If you feel you need to justify yourself (which you don't, but still) you could always say you have had to work late at night and need to catch up on some sleep before going out in the evening, or you have to get up very early the next day.
Come to think of it, there's another house I clean where the man has an office in his bedroom. He could be up there working, or could be asleep for all I know, if he's there he usually asks me to miss out cleaning the bedroom.

Alibabaandthe40nappies Fri 09-Nov-12 16:44:15

YANBU, I know exactly what you mean. But try and get past it - it is easier once you have know each other a while.

While my cleaner was here the other day I took my DS2 off upstairs for a nap and then stayed lying on my bed MNing and doing my online shop. She couldn't care less what I'm doing as long as I'm not moving around the house continuously under her feet while she is trying to work.

MoomieAndFreddie Fri 09-Nov-12 16:46:12

As a cleaner, I would not mind at all. HTH.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now