Talk

Advanced search

To ask you for some sling advice?

(6 Posts)
hazleweatherfieldgirldetective Fri 09-Nov-12 13:39:24

I have a 98th centile 10mo DS. He is built like the proverbial brick shithouse and carrying him in a standard, forward facing sling completely knackers my back.

I have seen a few women in my area carrying their toddler size children in what looks like a scarf style sling that seems to allow older babies/toddlers to "sit" on their hip. Does anyone have any recommendations for this kind of sling and are they easier on the back than my current el cheapo one?

CMOTDibbler Fri 09-Nov-12 13:58:56

Proper slings are much easier than a baby Bjorn type thing. The sort you describe is a ring sling, and is only suitable up to a year really (or for 3 yr olds who pop up and down). A mei tai would let you put him fully on your back, and once you've put them up there a few times, its really easy and very comfy. Look for a sling meet near you, and they'll let you try a few slings

fraktion Fri 09-Nov-12 14:03:21

My DS of a similar build is 18mo and super comfy in an ergo. Facing out will knackers your back because they're pulling away from you, which strains your shoulders and means you lean back to compensate.

A sling meet is definitely called for. You'll be able to try lots if different types and see what suits you.

midseasonsale Fri 09-Nov-12 14:07:22

also look at ERGO. Excellent reviews and I loved mine

JellyBellies Fri 09-Nov-12 14:21:50

Hi, also Google Kinderpack. They are brilliant. Both my DSs are like this and the Kinderpack serves me well. They are a bit pricy though!
Get yourself over to the natural mamas forum (google this) and check out their advice and buy/sell pages.

Basically thee are many different kinds of slings. You have the wraps whci is basically a long piece of cloth that you tie in different ways. It takes a bit of practice to get used to this.

Then you have the Asian inspired carriers like the meitai which have long straps and a rectangle shaped bit in the middle.

Then you have the SSC which are soft structured carriers like the Kinderpack and the ergo which have buckles instead of straps.

You ha e to experiment to see what you like. I started with a mei tai when DS was 6 months and then moved to a Kinderpack which had buckles so is quicker to put on and take off.

It's best to try and go to a slightly g meet at least once so you can see/try different stuff.

Good luck!

JellyBellies Fri 09-Nov-12 14:23:00

Sorry go to a sling meet not slightly meet! Fat fingers on phone!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now