Talk

Advanced search

how unreasonable is it to not go to work because the dog is ill?

(28 Posts)
TaggieCampbellBlack Fri 09-Nov-12 11:08:47

He is old and knackered and wobbly and generally off colour.

I have to go to work soon.

But I don't want to leave him.

I will but I don't want to.

And what happens if/when he does pop off? How the bloody hell do I carry on?

INeedThatForkOff Fri 09-Nov-12 11:11:26

Sorry your dog is ill, but it's not on to take time off work if he's 'off colour'. I guess you need to make a contingency plan for when he gets worse.

weeblueberry Fri 09-Nov-12 11:14:28

Is there anyone you can leave him with? Or maybe a neighbour could check in? As an employer if someone called and asked for emergency annual leave for this I'd personally grant it (if I was able due to staffing) but some other people may not accept it as a good reason.

If you really feel as though he may pass away while you're at work I'd call and explain and see what they say. You may have to deal with them saying it's not an appropriate reason though. I suppose only you know how sick he is etc.

I hope he does get better though.

ilovetermtime Fri 09-Nov-12 11:14:46

I feel for you sad
My dog is old and knackered too and I'm going to be devastated when he pops his clogs. It keeps me awake at nigt sometimes, thinking about it.
Will you be allowed time off from work when the time comes?

TaggieCampbellBlack Fri 09-Nov-12 11:15:23

But what contingency plan?

Wheresmycaffeinedrip Fri 09-Nov-12 11:17:40

Is this how u feel everyday ? Or do u have an overwhelming urge to need to be with him right now?

If something is telling u not to go to work then don't go. Sure I'll get flamed for this but the bond between an animal and owner can be very very strong. Many often know when it's "time"

If on the other hand he's in no immediate danger and u don't think anything is going to happen today then maybe a neighbour/ friend can look in on him?

TaggieCampbellBlack Fri 09-Nov-12 11:18:18

I can't see work being understanding.

INeedThatForkOff Fri 09-Nov-12 11:19:52

I don't know your circumstances, but as hard as it is, you know it's coming. Family help? Perhaps a dog-sitting service?

Whatnowffs Fri 09-Nov-12 11:19:58

Taggie, if he is really so poorly that you feel he might not make it through the day then you really should be taking him to the vets or at least getting him some veterinary attention at home.

How long has this been going on (obviously the old bit quite some time smile) but how long has he been "off colour" What do you mean by "off colour"? A bit flat but eating isn't too bad. A bit flat, not eating, unable to get up, that would warrant me taking time off.

I had a similar situation with my old boy who i knew was being PTS later that day, but i HAD to go to work that morning, not that i was of any use and ended up having to go home anyway but i did arrange for my parents to go and be with him as i didn't want him to be alone, i knew he wouldn't die though.

Trust your gut, but if he is sick enough that you are taking time off, he needs a vet. Even if it makes no different to the outcome, he may need pain relief xx

Oh dear, OP, sounds v hard. Can you take annual leave/unpaid leave? How dependent is your work on people turning up every day? I mean, my work doesn't mind if you take annual leave at a moment's notice because I'm not customer-facing, but it would have a massive effect on some workplaces.

Sympathies, though - I dread my dog getting old and ill.

Wheresmycaffeinedrip Fri 09-Nov-12 11:20:03

Could ur dog go to work with u?

ChippingInLovesAutumn Fri 09-Nov-12 11:20:17

Is he like this often or does he seem worse today?

If I thought he was unwell I'd call our vets and see if they can take him in today for observation.

ThickCut Fri 09-Nov-12 11:21:17

Any chance he could go with you?

Whatnowffs Fri 09-Nov-12 11:21:48

i suppose it depends what your job is, you wont be paid, just like we aren't paid if we take time off for childcare issues but it would be a very rum deal indeed if they weren't sympathetic at least.

ThickCut Fri 09-Nov-12 11:22:04

X post

TaggieCampbellBlack Fri 09-Nov-12 11:22:40

I don't know. He's ok I think.

Obviously can't just stay home for the next year.

DH home a bit after I go so not on his own for long.

TaggieCampbellBlack Fri 09-Nov-12 11:25:44

He didn't eat breakfast but had some toast. Can get up but very wobbly. Seems happy enough, not in pain do not vet-worthy right now. DH can take him later if needed.

Is he ill enough that he should be put to sleep? Perhaps if the vet thinks it would be better for him you could arrange some time off, to say your goodbyes, and then to get through the first wee while afterwards.

TaggieCampbellBlack Fri 09-Nov-12 11:26:50

I will go. But I don't want to.

Sorry, cross post! If he's not in any immediate danger then sadly, you will have to go to work. Unless you can take the day off without your work minding, that is, but it doesn't sound like it.

Whatnowffs Fri 09-Nov-12 11:30:21

If i were you, id go to work, ask to come home to check on him at dinner and then go back. He actually does sound like he needs to see a vet to me, but that is something only you can decide. Do you know he isn't in pain, he isn't eating for a reason. Whats wrong with him? how old is he?

Blu Fri 09-Nov-12 11:32:01

Sorry your dog is wobbly. sad

As an employer I would be sympathetic and facilitating over an emergency vet appt or other emergency but consider it very unreasonable to take time off because the dog was off colour and you felt you wanted to stay with him. And I daresay yours and your DH's employers will feel the same.

Sorry.

TaggieCampbellBlack Fri 09-Nov-12 11:34:25

Too far to pop back (plus the fact that we never get a chance for a break).
DH will be here and will do vet if needed later.

Narked Fri 09-Nov-12 11:37:05

I think your washing machine just flooded the kitchen. You will be in late.

TaggieCampbellBlack Fri 09-Nov-12 11:40:14

I will save that one Narked.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now