Talk

Advanced search

Less AIBU, more like AIBAW?

(16 Posts)
YuffieKisaragi Thu 08-Nov-12 21:34:39

Am I Being A Wuss, that is.
Ds1 goes to Cubs once a week. Three out of four weeks, Mr Yuffie can take him because of his shift pattern, but the fourth week falls to me. It's not far away, part of the reason we chose that particular group, since I don't drive, but it's in a rather grotty area. You have to walk down a dark, dirty alleyway to get there which is bad enough in summer when it's light, bloody awful in the dark. I saw a bloke pissing against the wall there once. I'm severely tempted not to take him, especially as I also have to take Ds2 in the sling or pushchair. It really freaks me out. So what do we think, man up? Or am I reasonable to be concerned?

JackThePumpkinKing Thu 08-Nov-12 21:35:20

Taxi?

JackThePumpkinKing Thu 08-Nov-12 21:35:36

Anf YANBAW

YuffieKisaragi Thu 08-Nov-12 21:51:05

It's literally a four minute walk but it would take longer in a car, I would feel really stupid!

CaliforniaLeaving Thu 08-Nov-12 21:57:38

I'd probably skip it too, walking down dark alleys with a pushchair in the dark with men who piss up the wall isn't somewhere I'd want to go. So YANBU

fluffypillow Thu 08-Nov-12 22:02:28

YANBAW. Go with your instincts.

Sirzy Thu 08-Nov-12 22:04:05

Is there someone else who can take him and pick up that week? Perhaps another cubs parent?

MissWinklyParadiso Thu 08-Nov-12 22:08:25

Doesn't matter whether you feel stupid, it matters that you feel safe.

JackThePumpkinKing Thu 08-Nov-12 22:15:00

If you could do the walk with someone else it would be fine. I wouldnt do it though, esp not with a pushchair

blackeyedsusan Thu 08-Nov-12 23:22:34

is there a longerr safer way round?

SuzySheepSmellsNice Thu 08-Nov-12 23:25:50

I like Sirzy's idea

Itsaboatjack Thu 08-Nov-12 23:25:58

Skip the alleyway and go the way you would drive.

LoopyLoopsOlympicHoops Thu 08-Nov-12 23:28:22

Wall pissers aren't that uncommon though. Well, they are common but also fairly commonplace, no?

jennywren123 Thu 08-Nov-12 23:34:54

California - I read your post too quickly. Thought you were suggesting the OP skips along the alley (in a wizard of oz type way) to make it seem less scary smile

I agree with seeing if you could share lifts or walk with others.

Nagoo Thu 08-Nov-12 23:49:03

yy walk the other way round?

Or see if someone can pick your DS up on the way there?

I think YWBUAAW (unreasonable and a wuss) not to take him at all.

redexpat Fri 09-Nov-12 08:13:57

Call the leader and ask if anyone else lives nearby that could give him a lift or walk with him.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now