Talk

Advanced search

To think it's a bit minging when i see

(23 Posts)
Nooneelseisallowedafergus Thu 08-Nov-12 20:47:56

kitchens with loads of jars / spices / utensils crammed all around the cooker / hob area.

Surely they get covered in cooking oil and meat juices etc and you're not going to wipe each and every item after cooking are you - so it'll just get more and more smelly and sticky - eewww

I like the minimalist look in my kitchen.

GwendolineMaryLacey Thu 08-Nov-12 20:48:25

Um, ok then

MotherfuckingMorrisMan Thu 08-Nov-12 20:51:16

You would like my kitchen.

NOWT on the sides. I used to put the kettle in the cupboard but it drove everyone mad, so that's the only thing out.

I don't think its minging in other kitchens though - those people probably spend less time than me looking in the cupboards shouting for the 'bastarding paprika'.

The only thing I would judge in a kitchen would be cat litter trays.

BeyondGoesOffWithABigBang Thu 08-Nov-12 20:57:56

I wish I had a minimalist kitchen sad
OP, yanbu, because I soend so much time cleaning the shit around the hob!!

BeyondGoesOffWithABigBang Thu 08-Nov-12 20:59:01

(My cupboards are all full. One day I'll sort them out and put everything hidden away)

MrsCantSayAnything Thu 08-Nov-12 21:00:35

Yanbu. I keep nothing by my cooker hob. Herbs go in the cupboard. You'd never cope with my MIL. I once stayed there...I steamed DDs bottles and left them on her countertop and in the morning they were sprayed with BLOOD!!! And FAT!!!!

[boak]

bonzo77 Thu 08-Nov-12 21:10:42

Yanbu. I'm pretty minimalist in the kitchen too. Blood and fat on the sterile bottles: we're you staying at ^ my^ in laws?!

mother I'm stuck with a litter tray in my kitchen. In my defence it's as far from the food as possible and its for emergency use only. Gets used about once a month then I change it as soon as I see it's been used.

cardibach Thu 08-Nov-12 21:12:47

I must be a very clean cook. My kitchen (indeed my whole house) is the opposite of minimalist, and I never seem to get anything sprayed with fat etc. ANd certainly not blood! How on earth would that happen?

OpheliaPayneAgain Thu 08-Nov-12 21:18:37

Fat? how? I dont own cooking oil and everything gets grilled.

Mind you I don't like spice racks either.

Out of curiosity - where do people keep their cat litter trays?

mummmsy Thu 08-Nov-12 21:22:35

oooh, you have just described my kitchen!

and my ring is minging wink

mummmsy Thu 08-Nov-12 21:22:55

hob ring obviously ladies!

tut tut

cardibach Thu 08-Nov-12 21:24:11

Cat litter tray (when I had one) was by the back door, Ophelia. And you make a good poitn about fat - it would be oil (olive) in my case if it did get splashed/sprayed anywhere, but it doesn't.

BehindLockNumberNine Thu 08-Nov-12 21:24:43

"and my ring is minging"

<wipes coffee off laptop>

Everlong Thu 08-Nov-12 21:25:45

Good for you.

Selks Thu 08-Nov-12 21:27:19

I was one of those people with jars and bottles next to the cooker.....and I agree with you OP. They get greasy and sticky and furry. I am having a new kitchen put in soon with a hoooge pull out larder and they are <all> going in there! grin

TheCatIsEatingIt Thu 08-Nov-12 21:28:00

Cat litter tray goes in the bathroom, on the rare occasions a cat has to be kept in. It seemed the obvious place for pee and poo.

I like my spice rack being within hand's reach of the cooker, and I don't find the bottles get particularly grotty.

captainmummy Thu 08-Nov-12 21:28:24

I have nothing on my worktops. If I put anything down it's guaranteed that I don't clean under or around it, so I can't have anything.

I have a kettle on the hob, that's it. It's the only way I can clean properly

Cahoots Thu 08-Nov-12 21:30:42

I like all my kitchen surfaces as clear as possible. There is nothing on the worksurfaces anywhere near my hob.

I have never thought other people having things next to the hob minging though. confused. (unless it is a cat)

Hassled Thu 08-Nov-12 21:34:07

I think most of you would weep if you saw my kitchen. I have so much shite on the worktops that there are times I struggle to make space for a chopping board. It's improved slightly since I introduced a large bowl for the dumped keys, watches, mobiles, wallets etc that my family seem to think live in the kitchen.

slartybartfast Thu 08-Nov-12 21:35:35

i have a clock, bove the cooker, whch gets greasy, and we only notice when we change the clocks, twice a year blush

SrirachaGirl Thu 08-Nov-12 21:39:07

Are you spying on me? I've got all the above near my stove for easy access ( well, not the herbs but s&p, evoo, balsamic and spatulas). We actually have a massive walk-in pantry but it's too far away from the hob to be practical when you're pretending to be Jamie Oliver cooking.

I've just looked. There's no blood or fat on anything. Mrs.Can't are your in-laws serial killers by any chance?

OrangeLily Thu 08-Nov-12 21:40:13

It isn't just cooking oil that covers things, food from fat goes all over the place too. Hence by the tops of kitchen cupboards can get pretty manky if you let them!!

My kitchen sides currently have far too much on them despite it being brand new. Kettle, toaster, microwave and a god awful wine bottle holder that DH appears to love angry

Wallison Thu 08-Nov-12 21:41:05

My kitchen is too small to not have things on the work surfaces and I'm sure it's a bit minging but if people object to it they are quite welcome not to eat in my house. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now