Talk

Advanced search

Creating a non sexist advert - WWYD :)

(30 Posts)
kim147 Thu 08-Nov-12 19:02:10

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MrsTerryPratchett Thu 08-Nov-12 19:06:53

Take the Asda advert, share out the chores between man, woman and child, say, "behind every family.....Asda" Bob's your non-gender specific relative.

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Thu 08-Nov-12 19:07:41

I would think so. What's the prodict?

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Thu 08-Nov-12 19:08:31

Ah, I see. P&G, proud sponsors of parents

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Thu 08-Nov-12 19:09:51

Iceland advert with two straplines - that's why dad's gone to Iceland.

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Thu 08-Nov-12 19:11:01

You can't get better than a Kwik fit fitter - we're the folks you trust.

This is fun!

ATourchOfInsanity Thu 08-Nov-12 19:12:54

I actually appreciated the ASDA advertisment. I think it thanks hard working mums and makes people think about all of the little things a lot of women have to do every year that people take for granted. It didn't demean me in any way! I suppose if your DH or someone else does all of the bits like this it might feel odd or not relevant, but not sure how it offends people. It was a nod of appreciation.

I suppose people would rather a man doing all of it and getting a pat on the back from the woman at the end, but it doesn't seem realistic and I think a lot more women would be offended, as it isn't a real portrayal of a family Christmas in many homes.

It depends on the product but maybe getting the kids to do the large share of the advert would work. Although this could result in pester power for Flash or other cleaning/household products confused

PropertyNightmare Thu 08-Nov-12 19:14:14

Well I would avoid portraying the mum as a cunty mug <<hopes Asda are reading>>

kim147 Thu 08-Nov-12 19:19:47

Fakebook Thu 08-Nov-12 19:29:12

I'd use an amoeba preparing for Christmas. It would be the best advert ever with sciency bits and everything.

MrsTerryPratchett Thu 08-Nov-12 19:34:47

I think you can play with gender and stereotypes as well. The Boddingtons adverts did a bit of that. You use the cliches instead of just trotting them out. Old Spice? Could be ironic, could be taken at face value.

MrsTerryPratchett Thu 08-Nov-12 19:35:58

Christmas amoeba

Fakebook Thu 08-Nov-12 21:52:15

Oh wow. I want those decorations! How wonderfully geeky!

MrsTerryPratchett Thu 08-Nov-12 21:54:18

The wonders of Etsy. And, for those who like a laugh Regretsy.

kim147 Thu 08-Nov-12 21:55:23

usualsuspect3 Thu 08-Nov-12 21:57:18

I would just use cats.

usualsuspect3 Thu 08-Nov-12 21:58:23

Maybe not though, because then the dog lovers would get the hump.

kim147 Thu 08-Nov-12 21:59:21

TiggyD Thu 08-Nov-12 22:01:07

Any advert showing a woman doing any cleaning, cooking, or childcare must be banned! Only men should be pictured doing that stuff.
Any advert showing a man doing car maintenance, mowing, or DIY must be banned! Only women should be pictured doing that stuff.

Basically, adverts should be a topsy-turvy world where everything is the opposite. Men do women stuff and women do men stuff, birds swim in the sea, things fall upwards etc.

To show something happening that happens a lot of the time is stereotyping and is very naughty.

Fakebook Thu 08-Nov-12 22:05:49

I'm not clicking the regretsy link! I'll end up on there all night!

OpheliaPayneAgain Thu 08-Nov-12 22:08:54

use an ageless, transparent, non denominational, non voting eunach

I think that covers age, race, sex, religious and political bias.

BTW I like the Asda advert.

TiggyD Thu 08-Nov-12 22:18:48

Non voting Ophelia? That's not a good example to set it it?! Not taking an interest in how their country is run is terrible!

MrsCantSayAnything Thu 08-Nov-12 22:21:52

I thought OP wanted people to CREATE an advert....not rehash ones that exist?

Anyway....do your own homework OP grin

MrsTerryPratchett Thu 08-Nov-12 22:23:06

Any advert showing a woman doing any cleaning, cooking, or childcare must be banned! I don't clean, DH does. It wouldn't be topsy turvey for me. I do most of the cooking but DH is capable of doing it without; looking confused; spilling things; burning things. Is that really unusual?

kim147 Thu 08-Nov-12 22:25:02

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now