Talk

Advanced search

to think that organisations should check their web addresses and twitter names for potential innuendo?

(31 Posts)
3b1g Thu 08-Nov-12 18:57:01

My son's school has just joined Twitter with the name wbgsexcellence. A local arts recycling project used to have the address watfordscrap.com (or might have been .co.uk). The worst culprit was the Chorleywood Literary Festival, but fortunately they added a 'w' after the first couple of years, so it's now cwlitfest.org. Wouldn't you check the way something reads before you go public with it?

Chocolatephiladelphia Thu 08-Nov-12 19:00:14

Hahaha! Yes they should definitely check!
I remember hearing of one called "Pedofiles" for people who like cycling!

foreverondiet Thu 08-Nov-12 19:01:30

Like: ww.powergenitalia.com ie powergen italia??!

RustyBear Thu 08-Nov-12 19:03:51

I don't know if it's apochryphal, but I heard that the Italian division of powergen got themselves a website called www.powergenitalia...

amy175 Thu 08-Nov-12 19:06:22

or www. who represents who .com
the website to find out who the agent is for each star.
or www. whore presents who

amy175 Thu 08-Nov-12 19:07:33

or www.enjoynorfolkbroads.co.uk
which is a tourist thing for norfolks waterways but many an american has been disappointed!

SuffolkNWhat Thu 08-Nov-12 19:10:06

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

hackmum Thu 08-Nov-12 19:13:49

But Watford is crap, so that's fair enough.

FrightRunScream Thu 08-Nov-12 19:18:47

I do some work with an organisation called JBA Consulting, but, thanks to their web address always think of them as J Bacon Sulting.

Cozy9 Thu 08-Nov-12 19:28:29

Site for finding out who represents various actors etc: whorepresents.com

RustyBear Thu 08-Nov-12 19:35:12

Mind you, it's been going on since before the internet - apparently many years ago they were opening a new technical college in south Hertforshire, which, right up to the time they were designing the letter header, was going to be called the South Herts Institute of Technology....

clackmannangirl Thu 08-Nov-12 19:37:23

Try googling molestationnursery also therapistfinder and expertsexchange!
YANBU

ontheedgeofwhatever Thu 08-Nov-12 21:11:27

There was a proposal a few years back to rename probation officers Community Rehabilitaton and Punishment officers. Luckily someone noticed what the acronym was before it actually happened grin

RustyBear Thu 08-Nov-12 21:17:46

I once had an email from someone called Lee Rather, whose used their whole name in their email address....

I used to be on experts exchange, is it not hyphenated?
Don't get the mole one?
These are funny

Rusty, please explain?

Leerather ?

Ah

I get it now

DisappointedHorse Thu 08-Nov-12 21:19:32

Experts Exchange is hyphenated now but it didn't used to be.

I have spent many an hour on there.

Me too!

If you were on 6 or 7 years ago I probably spoke to you smile

ChaChaDigregorio Thu 08-Nov-12 21:22:42

Colin litster's email address clitster@.... Also grace Reynold greynold@ (she was as well)

BrittaPerry Thu 08-Nov-12 21:23:55

When my sister was at uni, there was talk of changing the uni name on their certificates to The University of Cumbria. The website was going to be www.ucum.co.uk...

GreatAuntMaud Thu 08-Nov-12 21:25:19

I wonder why the Tokyo Institute of Technology doesn't have its initials on the logo?

OTheHugeManatee Thu 08-Nov-12 21:34:59

City University of Newcastle on Tyne got as far as the letterhead too.

Racers Thu 08-Nov-12 21:47:41

Britta: the Lancaster Uni students call it UCUM all the time :-D (it's based in the same city, although that is clearly not in Cumbria!)

FrightRunScream Thu 08-Nov-12 22:10:38

I saw the much fabled City University of Newcastle upon Tyne letterheads! I should have kept it!

just got the mole one...why did that take so long grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now