Talk

Advanced search

To go out and risk spreading the lurgy of doom?

(6 Posts)
MichaelaS Thu 08-Nov-12 17:11:03

I have been sick for about a week. It is some sort of flu thing, dreadful aches and pains, sore throat and fever. I got it from DS1 who had the runs for about 10 days but is better now and back at school.

Yesterday I was feeling a bit better so it was all go for my plans for tonight - a rare night out at a friends house. Loads of girls getting together, no alcohol (Christian thing) and everyone will be lovely to me. DH happy to take kids as he went to men's night on tues.

Today I have the fever and aches again. I did not sleep well last night and that could be why it's back.

I dont want to infect my lovely friends with the Lurgy Of Doom but can i really still be infectious 7 days in? When i was on the mend? To make it worse, the whole get together was partly my idea and I'm supposed to be co-running it with a good friend who is hosting. We need to canvass opinions fro the others about whether to make it regular and if so how/when/where etc. I think my friend would feel a bit left in the lurch if I dropped out at the last minute. I will call her when she's back from work but can't do that yet and I need to gear up if I'm going.

I could neck a double dose of drugs (paracetamol and ibuprofen only as I'm bf) and head out anyway. Or I could just curl up on the sofa and whine about it.

If it makes any difference there is no one with a supressed immune system and the only mum with a small baby is me.

AIBU to go or should I stay in quarantine? Mumsnet jury you have 2 hours to decide.

MamaMumra Thu 08-Nov-12 17:13:19

Are you feeling well enough to go?

CailinDana Thu 08-Nov-12 17:13:36

Hmm, I'd say stay at home sorry. You probably are still infectious (though not massively so) but more than that you'll just feel awful tomorrow and really regret it. If you could stay in bed all day tomorrow and just recuperate I'd say go for it but with a baby I doubt that's going to happen.

MichaelaS Thu 08-Nov-12 17:23:41

I feel well enough to go if I take painkillers Mama.

Calindara that is what I feared. But it is Just Not Fair <sulks>

Should I let the friend decide? Maybe? <desperately searching for light at end of tunnel>

Today was DS1s first day back at school so I took the baby for a 2 hour sleep, it was bliss! Tomorrow my DM is coming over and taking DS1 for weekend after school. It is nice to have the favour, but actually she just wants him all to herself so it's more like I'm doing her a favour really! ;-). She would have DS2 in a shot too but as he is littl and bf he can't leave me for long, certainly not overnight.

Am quite worried DM might get it as she and DF are going on holiday on Monday, wouldn't that be lovely. But she knows we are an unclean household and still wants to come, so her risk I think.

CailinDana Thu 08-Nov-12 17:27:05

The kind of thing you have isn't massively infectious so I wouldn't worry too much about passing it on. As long as you don't slobber on your DM you should be fine. If she could take the baby for a good chunk of time tomorrow to allow you to loll about in your lurgified state then I'd say go for it. Could you go for an hour and see how you feel then come away early if necessary?

MichaelaS Thu 08-Nov-12 19:14:07

Thanks for your perspective. I called my friend and she said to go but "not snog anyone" :-). She isn't feeling brilliant either so perhaps It is already making the rounds. I am going, hooray!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now