Advanced search

To not pay this parking ticket?

(18 Posts)
ThatBastardBabyJesus Thu 08-Nov-12 14:59:57

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ThatBastardBabyJesus Thu 08-Nov-12 15:00:53

YDdraigGoch Thu 08-Nov-12 15:01:44

I am totally on your side, but they will have to pay so it's just as well pay quick and pay the smaller amount - I wouldn't be surprised if they are charged interest if they don't pay. Total scam - but appears to not be against the law.

LFCisTarkaDahl Thu 08-Nov-12 15:01:56

No, they don't have to pay and they shouldn't engage in any way, they can do nothing. So tell them not to write to them.

FryOneFatManic Thu 08-Nov-12 15:04:08

If it's issued by a private company, they don't have to pay. It's not a fine, it's an invitation to pay a charge for parking. The only way they could ever get you to pay up is through the small claims courts. I ignored one I received, and after two letters it went away.

LFCisTarkaDahl Thu 08-Nov-12 15:05:02

The most important thing to remember is that it is not a parking ticket, it is an invoice.

The only people who can legally ticket you where you have to pay is the police or a council parking attendant.

So unless this cinema was also randomly in a council car park (possible, the local theatre and local cinema share a car park here) then they do not have to pay.

If they have been invoiced by a parking company then ignore, they will soon fuck off to the far side of fuck and your brother can paper the downstairs loo with their increasingly hysterical correspondence.

ThatBastardBabyJesus Thu 08-Nov-12 15:05:41

Havingkitties Thu 08-Nov-12 15:05:46

If its a private parking company and not the council you do not have to pay. It is an 'invoice' technically and not enforceable. Just ignore and don't engage in any communications with them. Private parking companies feed off fear.

BoysBoysBoysAndMe Thu 08-Nov-12 15:06:23

Only tickets from the council and police are enforceable.

Everything else is little more than an invoice.

I had one (was running late for jury service due to bad traffic-HAD to get on tram) anyway, didn't pay. Even though it said on it I have x days to pay or they'll contact dvla for my details and charge would e higher etc.

Still haven't heard anything from them and that was nearly 2 years ago.

weeblueberry Thu 08-Nov-12 15:06:48

Unless it's been issued by the council the ticket isn't valid. Its very easy to see if it's been officially issued:

http://www.which.co.uk/media/images/cars/medium/parking-ticket-275478.jpg

If it doesn't look like this I'm pretty sure it's not valid.

ThatBastardBabyJesus Thu 08-Nov-12 15:09:37

weeblueberry Thu 08-Nov-12 15:11:54

The other thing to mention is that if it IS a private ticket she shouldn't enter into ANY dialogue with them. I made that mistake last year. I was given a private ticket for a carpark I hadn't even been in, never mind illegally parked in. I called them to say I wasn't where they claimed I was and that the onus was on them to prove my vehicle was there (which it is...) and they would NOT leave me alone after that. Whereas others in the same position who just threw them in the bin stopped being harassed after about the third letter... They'll try and scare her into paying but it's important she ignores the lot.

BoysBoysBoysAndMe Thu 08-Nov-12 15:13:03

Also- aren't most council tickets around the £30 mark?

£90 can't possibly be from the council

MrsBungleBear Thu 08-Nov-12 15:18:51

We got one once as they said we stayed too long in a retail car park. We just ignored the notice on the car and never heard from them again.

Chopstheduck Thu 08-Nov-12 15:26:09

BoysBoysBoysAndMe - only time I ever got a ticket was loading in westinister - £80!! <sob>

OP, your DSIS shouldn't pay unless the double yellow lines were not on private ground and the ticket is from the council.

TwitchyTail Thu 08-Nov-12 15:43:44

Reiterating advice above:

Tickets issued by the council - you have to pay.

Tickets issued by private companies - invoice. Don't engage in correspondence, chuck all letters in the bin (they will send you a chain of them with faux legal letterheads - ignore), it will go away.

Wish I'd known this before sending my precious £60 off to fecking Euro Car Parks two years ago. Live and learn.

smile

Tons of advice here

Glad I read it ... Parking Spy gave up on us after three measly letters!

TandB Thu 08-Nov-12 20:32:28

Ignore, ignore, ignore!

If you are nervous about it look up the name of the company and "parking ticket" or similar on google and you will get links to all sorts of consumer forums with advice about this.

A friend of mine got one in a retail centre carpark. She ignored on my advice, and they gave up after 3 letters and a pseudo-bailiff's letter.

The consensus on the forums seems to be that no-one has ever heard of them taking anyone to court.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now