Talk

Advanced search

To think that every single advert ever made...

(29 Posts)
WorraLiberty Thu 08-Nov-12 12:21:22

Has the potential to upset/offend somebody somewhere?

"Please come to our nondescript shop and buy our nondescript product, it's really great".

Or would that ^^ still cause some of us to tut at the TV, with a face like a badly packed kebab?

Perhaps the word 'please' offends the unmannerly? grin

RubyFakeNails Thu 08-Nov-12 12:24:24

Well it does seem that way. When thinking about the other thread I though so, if they use a pretty girl in the dog food ad, are they sexualising dogs or who?

worra I am offended by your thread. It is offensive to talk about being offended when you're not offended by something that someone else is offended by.

Or something confused

Sirzy Thu 08-Nov-12 12:26:22

No toy should ever be advertised on TV, how dare they make my 3 year old want things I can never afford to get him or don't like meaning he has a tantrum about it!

picnicbasketcase Thu 08-Nov-12 12:27:12

I am deeply offended by Pot Noodle ads. It's like they're claiming to be edible.

WitchesTit Thu 08-Nov-12 12:28:16

Yup.

Being 'offended' is a funny thing intit? People actively and consciously choose what and whether they are offended or not. But some still choose to get all stressed up. They should first think of their blood pressure.

WorraLiberty Thu 08-Nov-12 12:31:56

Well I'm now offended by the fact you've all offended me

You offensive bastards!

ObiWan Thu 08-Nov-12 12:33:27

The spirit of Hully lives within you Worra.

WorraLiberty Thu 08-Nov-12 12:37:10

Betty call a Priest then Obi, if that doesn't offend the Atheists!

ObiWan Thu 08-Nov-12 12:40:02

No, no. Let the spirit linger.

All Horcrux like.

Sidge Thu 08-Nov-12 12:42:46

Yup.

Some people seem to be very easily offended.

I might dislike an advert for a number of reasons but it would have to be pretty out there for me to really be offended by it. I used to love those TV shows where they did a round up of ads from around the world; now some of them were excellent but very likely to offend groups of people!

WorraLiberty Thu 08-Nov-12 12:43:59

Oh Clive James wasn't it?

Was that the show with Margarita Praaaaacataaaaan!?

InSPsFanjoNoOneHearsYouScream Thu 08-Nov-12 12:44:16

Everything is offensive! I'm offended by those who don't get offended by the smallest offensive thing ever to appear offensive

Jingleflobba Thu 08-Nov-12 12:44:35

There has been a lot of finding ads offensive lately hasn't there? Getting a touch tedious really...

InSPsFanjoNoOneHearsYouScream Thu 08-Nov-12 12:45:09

I do like the cravendale advert though pussys grin

WorraLiberty Thu 08-Nov-12 12:45:22

I've got no fences left

They've all been taken by MumsNetters

WorraLiberty Thu 08-Nov-12 12:46:06

Are you watching ITV Fanjo? That ad's just been on grin

InSPsFanjoNoOneHearsYouScream Thu 08-Nov-12 12:49:22

No, I'm watching mulan on the laptop upstairs with the toddler.

I wonder if pussys is offensive grin

FreePeaceSweet Thu 08-Nov-12 12:51:41

Don't watch this then Picnic grin

InSPsFanjoNoOneHearsYouScream Thu 08-Nov-12 12:53:43

Pot noodles are edible. Only the donnor kebab ones though as I'm classy

freddiefrog Thu 08-Nov-12 12:56:23

I think if you tried really hard, you'd find something offensive in everything

I sometimes wonder if there's something wrong with me, as I just don't get worked up about this stuff. I don't take enough notice of ads to see anything in them

InSPsFanjoNoOneHearsYouScream Thu 08-Nov-12 13:00:59

Freddie same here. Some people go out of their way to be offended

DeWe Thu 08-Nov-12 13:22:03

When I was at secondary school we were meant to be writing in a group a poem about a bully. We decided we would start off with a list of insults of things bullies could use.

After half an hour's arguing the teacher came to see how we were doing. She ended up sitting there laughing at us to our indignation.

The problem was that as soon as anyone suggested an insult, someone else would say that it was offensive and couldnt be used in case it upset someone.

She pointed out that the poem was going to be pretty boring if we eliminated any insult that we thought could upset anyone.

I can remember most of the poem that we wrote. She did ask us to tone down the last verse in the end. It had to be performed to parents, if I remember rightly.

"We're naming you "little nit"
"because you are a misfit"

ChristineDaae Thu 08-Nov-12 13:29:29

I was just thinking about this. I would have hated to be on MN when them Yorkie ads came out a few years ago!!

LadyBeagle Thu 08-Nov-12 13:42:50

Fred about a Fred Worra? grin
But yes I agree, there seem to be a rash of these offended posters at the moment about quite innocuous adverts.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now