Talk

Advanced search

To be sad that brighton ...

(233 Posts)
ChickenFillet Wed 07-Nov-12 18:03:45

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MrsTerryPratchett Wed 07-Nov-12 18:04:59

I'm originally from Croydon and all the people I knew who loved taking vast amounts of drugs an alternative lifestyle moved to Brighton. I don't know why the drink deaths would be higher, though.

ChickenFillet Wed 07-Nov-12 18:06:03

BadgersRetreat Wed 07-Nov-12 18:08:33

it's always been a party town though, hasn't it? Lots of people with alternative lifestyles/hippies moved there. Bit peace and love, iykwim

i guess alongside that comes a lot of drinking and drugs?

i love Brighton and would have lived there when we were in the UK had the commute to london been shorter (we lived halfway between London and Brighton)

laptopcomputer Wed 07-Nov-12 18:08:41

Brighton has always had a prevalent drug culture, dont know why. I can remember heroin being a problem there in the 80s before it (Brighton) was revitalised and then there were all the clubs and the associated recreational drugs that took off particularly well there in the 90s.
So it's not a surprise, but I don't know why.

Doyouthinktheysaurus Wed 07-Nov-12 18:09:00

Young, alternative, transient lifestyle. Also has some very deprived areas despite the image often portrayed.

I work in mental health in the area, drugs particularly are a big issue for services.

MrsTerryPratchett Wed 07-Nov-12 18:09:59

If you are in recovery you know that the support sometimes follows the problem. Maybe there is a lot of support because there is a lot of need.

laptopcomputer Wed 07-Nov-12 18:10:54

I guess it's the flip side to the tolerant environment.

MrsTerryPratchett Wed 07-Nov-12 18:11:18

I also wonder if the fact that Brighton has such a large gay community is skewing the figures. I know that in my area crystal meth is HUGE in the gay community and that is one horrific drug.

ChickenFillet Wed 07-Nov-12 18:12:01

laptopcomputer Wed 07-Nov-12 18:13:35

Really? I didn't know that about crystal meth. I wonder why? I knew Brghton when it was still run down and the drugs then seemed to be a separate scene from the gay scene.

Bunbaker Wed 07-Nov-12 18:18:14

I'm from Croydon as well and used to love going down to Brighton for the day when I was a child in the 1960s and 1970s. My sister lived there for a while in the 80s and I loved visiting her then as well. The bohemian atmosphere really appealed to me.

JazzAnnNonMouse Wed 07-Nov-12 18:18:55

I know that when I worked near Brighton and went out in Brighton with work friends the majority (including managers) did drugs and encouraged others to do so.
It seems to be the norm of 'going out' slip a pill or a line etc and get on with it.
I once got asked of I wanted my commission bonus in cash or coke hmm

MrsHoarder Wed 07-Nov-12 18:20:29

Its not that small, and rates are per 100,00 so ore people will have died due to drink/drugs in London etc.

And its been the party place for London since the Pavillion was built, its not a place known for its sobriety.

OwlLady Wed 07-Nov-12 18:21:24

A lot of coastal places have problems with drink and drug abuse, it can be pretty typical unfortunately. High unemployment and poverty contribute to this

HullyChristmasgully Wed 07-Nov-12 18:21:35

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

OHforDUCKScake Wed 07-Nov-12 18:22:16

I always wondered if Brighton created the drug addicts, or drug addicts were attracted to Brighton.

Its a huge, huge problem.

And what's sadder is that they cut so much funding to help the problem. I, along with many others volunteered to help in many different ways after we graduated, we trained and everyting and then it was dropped. Gutting

They have just got lottery funding to completely re do the Level though so hopefully that'll help deter the drug problem there but it'll only move them somewhere else.

NetworkGuy Wed 07-Nov-12 18:24:51

I was born in the area and lived there until '89 but knew of/saw hardly any drug use. I worked in higher education there for 10+ years, but clearly the students I came into contact with - dozens to speak to, hundreds in passing, via places like library / coffee shop, etc, were either careful about not being under the influence, or just more studious types!

I'd also have thought there would be as big/ bigger gay scene in Manchester or London, but maybe prices are lower on the coast ?

OHforDUCKScake Wed 07-Nov-12 18:26:22

It depends what drugs you're talking about, but I doubt theres any correlation between gays and the heroin problem.

If its coke and pills I very much doubt gay people take it any more than straight people.

All the gay and straight people I knew were very much on par with one another.

ChickenFillet Wed 07-Nov-12 18:29:14

derekthehamster Wed 07-Nov-12 18:33:34

It's really sad, I've lived her for over 20 yrs, came as a student. Although as a student dope was always around, I have never seen anything harder being taken. I obviously don't move in the 'right' circles.

AfternoonsandCoffeespoons Wed 07-Nov-12 18:34:24

I live in a town with a very big drug problem, but also with a lot of treatment centres and support for recovering addicts/alcoholics. I'm in recovery here but have always lived here, although I know a lot of people come from all over the country for treatment here, and often stay here after. This means that when relapse happens (which it often does) this is also where people stay. However. there must have been a problem before that for the treatment centre to be there in the first place. Its a bit chicken/egg IYSWIM.

RonettePulaski Wed 07-Nov-12 18:34:29

Somewhere has to be

MrsTerryPratchett Wed 07-Nov-12 18:35:01

I just Googled and it seems that where I live there is an issue with crystal meth and the gay community but I live in North America. Nothing popped up for the UK so that may be a red herring. I know gay, bisexual and straight people who do coke. Thinking about it I have known a few people who have done heroin but of them, only one was bisexual, the others were all straight.

cbeebiesatemybrain Wed 07-Nov-12 18:40:14

Brighton is a very popular place for stag and hen weekends, people go there to party so that probably skews the figures.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now