Talk

Advanced search

To feel a proper pillock?

(11 Posts)
FermezLaBouche Wed 07-Nov-12 17:12:04

At the weekend my boiler conked out for the second time in a short space of time.
Thread: www.mumsnet.com/Talk/am_i_being_unreasonable/1603972-To-insist-on-being-present-this-time

Well the gas bloke came round this afternoon and I was here, all ready to stand up for myself. He stood in my living room and took one look at one of my walls and said "I won't say anything if you don't..."

Turns out there's a switch with no apparent function in my living room (boiler is in kitchen!) and I must have absent-mindedly turned it off at the weekend! Apparently it's the overall switch for the boiler. He said last time he came round to "fix" the boiler it was the same problem, but he'd told the estate agent it was some minor issue with the boiler to save me getting billed.

Now privately I thought
a) I wouldn't pay the bill as it's never been said that the switch has anythnig to do with the boiler - and it's in a totally different room!
and b) I wonder what he will charge the agents this time...

But ah well - I have warmth again! (from the redness of my cheeks)

RubyFakeNails Wed 07-Nov-12 17:13:29

So he told you last time it was the switch and you forgot? You need to write boiler on it or something.

FermezLaBouche Wed 07-Nov-12 17:15:07

No - last time he "fixed" it I was out - so I would also argue if it came to it that perhaps he should have mentioned it last time!

smoothieooo Wed 07-Nov-12 17:15:20

How are you supposed to know what the switch is for if you've never been told?

But it reminds me of the time they were digging up the pipes outside my house and when I tried to cook, I was without gas and complained quite vociferously about it. They sent someone out immediately - and he checked the cooker, the pipes and was there for about 45 mins before going back to the cooker and releasing the child-proof button. blush on both his part and mine (although mostly mine obvs)!

mutny Wed 07-Nov-12 17:17:55

Well imo
a, why are you faffing with a switch that you have no idea what it does? Did your agent show you every light switch and socket? you could have asked what it was for before repeatedly turning it off.
But why you want to debate whether you should have been liable or not is beyond me.
b, why does it matter what he is charging? you say you wouldn't pay it anyway.

c, if you were out how was he going to mention it?

FermezLaBouche Wed 07-Nov-12 17:18:35

Haha Smoothieooo, that's even more shameful! They should make these things more clear.... Was he ok about it?

mutny Wed 07-Nov-12 17:19:53

And boiler controls are often found in a different place to the boiler.

Trills Wed 07-Nov-12 17:20:06

YANBU to feel a pillock because you are a bit of a pillock smile

FermezLaBouche Wed 07-Nov-12 17:21:38

mutny -

a) I moved into my new house on a saturday and there was no agent to show me in or show me switches. Also, this switch looks just like a light switch - it has not LED or anything. It makes sense to turn it off in case it's wasting energy!
b) Did I say it mattered? I simply wondered!
c) He has my number - might it not have been sensible to drop me a quick text or call?

mutny Wed 07-Nov-12 17:28:32

ok
a, so its a main fuse switch? When you flipped it on Saturday and it didn't do anything what did you think? when you came back after he first visit and it had been switched back on, what did you think?
If the agent was not there to show you anything why would you expect to have this pointed out?

b, you simply wondered and I simply wondered why it mattered

c, Why? He was there to fix the boiler which he did.

To be honest i think yab slightly unreasonable. But thats my opinion, which you clearly don't want.

FermezLaBouche Wed 07-Nov-12 17:34:24

I don't mind your option mutny, I just feel a bit like what was intended to be a lighthearted thread (as I'm sure I'm not the only one to make a dim-witted error,) will clearly not go that way now. My mistake for putting it in AIBU I suppose.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now