Talk

Advanced search

To take a job that involves a lot of travel?

(12 Posts)
DrunkenDaisy Wed 07-Nov-12 15:02:32

I hate my current job and to my extreme excitement I been headhunted by another organisation. The job sounds exciting and fun and will mean a bit more money.

But...DD is 15 and in year 11 and this job will mean that I am potentially away from home 2 or 3 nights per week. DH is supportive and so is DD, but I am doubtful.

WWYD?

Whatdoiknowanyway Wed 07-Nov-12 15:20:20

In theory, DD is year 11 and well able to manage with you away a couple of nights a week. In practice, late teens is when children may need you even more in terms of emotional support. If they're both supportive and you can be on hand via Skype etc to talk through coursework, homework, exams, friendship issues then I would go for it. Thankfully modern technology makes keeping in touch very easy.
I didn't travel mich when my children were teenagers but I did my fair share of checking spellings and 'reading' (knew the damn books off by heart sometimes) over the phone when they were in primary. It's do- able and sounds as if the job will be worth it..

Dahlen Wed 07-Nov-12 15:21:52

If DH is supportive, go for it. As long as your DD has two loving parents and one of them is available when she needs support, what's the problem? Good luck and congratulations!

CMOTDibbler Wed 07-Nov-12 15:26:58

If your dh is around, then its not a problem. But 2-3 nights a week, every week is very, very draining (believe me, I've done it), and will destroy any social life you have ime, so think carefully on that front.
2-3 nights 2 weeks a month with no long commute/hours in between is OK though, so it does depend on the exact pattern

monica77798 Wed 07-Nov-12 15:27:05

Go for it! I am sure DD will manage a few nights without you. And it doesn't have to be permanent. If things aren't working later down the line you could look at other options!

DrunkenDaisy Wed 07-Nov-12 15:31:11

Thanks everyone. I'm going to ask for exact clarification on the amount of travel and make my mind up then.

Not sure how much I'm influenced by the sheer joy at the thought of handing in my notice here.

fromparistoberlin Wed 07-Nov-12 15:38:26

where I work travel often means 10-12 nights away on long trips, so its a real bugger for people with kids

I think what you state is do-able, but 2 nights better

things to factor in are

how many days holiday, as it means you can plan time to be with DD/DH after a busy period
are you OK that weekends really will be family time, the sociaL life will take a hit!
will you get homesick?

but sounds interesting OP, esp if it will make you happy at work

FamiliesShareGerms Wed 07-Nov-12 15:39:56

You have to make sure that DH is definitely around when you are away (DH and I both travel for work, so have to ruthlessly coordinate diaries)

And make sure that DS understands when you are going and coming back

DrunkenDaisy Wed 07-Nov-12 15:44:56

How many years can people tolerate a job with that much travel? I don't want to find myself utterly exhausted in 18 months time and longing for my old job with it's 15 minute commute from home.

Dededum Wed 07-Nov-12 15:47:16

I was the 14 -18 younger DD who basically got left on their own an awful lot. Parents were young, successful and had a flat in London. It did feel like every week mum would be in London. And holidays I did get a lot of freedom, famously when I was 18 they left me on my own for 6 weeks ie: the summer holidays. It was when I was waiting for my A level results, they were in Italy.

They rationalised it by 'believing' that I was very sensible. Was I, I did get up to lots of drinking, drug taking, drinking and driving (they did leave me with their keys to their car). I didn't get pregnant, have an accident, trash the house but more by luck than everything else.

I did feel a bit unimportant.

But I am very independent, bit fearless with very good antenna for situations / people to avoid.

I think the danger is that as your daughter copes, it is easier to rationalise that she is very 'grownup' and you can live your life a little bit more IFYSWIM

wordfactory Wed 07-Nov-12 17:58:22

But OP's DH will be around no?

So DD won't be left home alone.

CMOTDibbler Wed 07-Nov-12 18:15:32

How long can you tolerate the travel levels ? Really, really depends on you and what the travel is tbh. I've been in a travelling job for 13 years now - at its worst, I spent 250 nights away in a year. That was absolutely not sustainable for me.
Now, I do much, much less, and my long trips are generally booked far in advance so we can work round them - but last month I was in Scotland, Finland, and the US, plus a couple of UK day trips.
The killers are short notice, variable locations, and the sort of trip where you leave at 4am Monday, get back 11pm Thursday and spend Friday desperatly doing expenses and preparing for the yuck o clock departure on Monday that week. Best is if you manage your own diary, go to familiar locations, and can travel easily to the locations from where you are.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now