Talk

Advanced search

To wish there's more we can do about drug dealers next door :(

(32 Posts)
MargeySimpson Wed 07-Nov-12 13:15:12

Since we moved in a year ago, our next door neighbours have ruined out lives. During the day, my DC's can't play outside because the man that lives there always has his friends hanging outside with their front door open, smoking weed, same in the back garden. Big intimidating groups of men in their early 20's -30s. It's not even so much the problem of the stench of weed, it's the people that it attracts to our street. I have an evening job and have had to change shifts because when I come home there are always men on bikes coming and going, hanging outside our gate. Then after about 11pm, there are always cars with blaring music coming and going and waking our baby up. They don't even make it discreet what they're doing, shouting how much someone owes down the street and handing stuff in cars etc.

I'm totally fed up of it! I reported it to the police so many times and they said that I just have to keep calling, so that if they drive past and see it enough times, they can gain intelligence. I know that everytime i've called, no ones come. None of them work, they just sit outside making our lives hell and atracting people to the street. DP doesn't want to call the police any more because he feels intimidated. I can't believe there is nothing we can do!

Fancydrawers Wed 07-Nov-12 13:16:28

Have you spoken to Environmental Health about the noise? Sounds like hell, poor you.

maddening Wed 07-Nov-12 13:18:11

Do you own or rent?

fruitysummer Wed 07-Nov-12 13:22:26

Nothing will be done no matter who you report it to.

Whilst they know where they are, they can keep an eye on them to find out who the people are higher up the chain.

Move them on and they have to start all over again.

It's pretty shite for you and your family.

No idea of your circumstances so saying your best bet is to move would not be helpful.

MargeySimpson Wed 07-Nov-12 13:26:27

We're renting, have 6months left of our contract! Thank god we didn't buy like we were intending to!

It's so angry that people can act like this and not face consequences. The worst part is they have loads of kids living there sad The guy sits on his step smoking weed and hanging out of caars while a boy of about 3 and a little girl about 4 run round in the road. It's so sad!

It's not someething i'd mention to my neighbours, but i can't believe everyone else just accepts it!

HipHopOpotomus Wed 07-Nov-12 13:29:21

In our borough we have a "Safer Street" dept within the police dept - they are really into policing this kind of behaviour.
Do you perhaps have a similar team you've not yet connected with?

It must be really dreadful for you all!

quoteunquote Wed 07-Nov-12 13:36:09

change your wifi name to, "(name of local police authority) surveillance unit"

the first person to use phone or computer to link to web, will see this and they will alert the rest of them, there is no way of them telling it is you.

but also go and see you local MP at their surgery , explain what is going on and what you actions have been so far, ask what else you can do,

before you go to the MP surgery, write a letter to the police commissioner send it recorded delivery,

then send an email to both of the above reiterating what you have done so far and what the situation is, make sure they both know that you have informed each of them.

the police will then become more active.

keep reporting on the 101 number and keep a record of what is reported , when and log numbers,

Explain to all each time that you are afraid of reprisals.

MargeySimpson Wed 07-Nov-12 13:37:37

That's great advice! Thank's quote!

LifeIsBetterInFlipFlops Wed 07-Nov-12 13:44:00

Good luck Margey, what a terrible situation. I can't offer any constructive advice, but at least others have. I didn't want to read the thread without wishing you well.

samandi Wed 07-Nov-12 13:44:07

YADNBU :-( At least you're renting. Good luck.

quoteunquote Wed 07-Nov-12 13:50:15

Your renting?

Inform the agents and the LL and ask them to write to all of the above also, as it will effect their ability to rent out property,

Is the property next door rented? If so ask for LL and agent to write to their LL.

Purple2012 Wed 07-Nov-12 13:55:47

Go on to your police website and onto the neighbourhood team or crime map and put your postcode in. That should give you a list of your local officers and PCSOs. You can then ring or email them and ask them to contact you.

quoteunquote Wed 07-Nov-12 14:04:23

"you're" of course,

When writing to the chief, ask questions like, Why is that your police force do not come out when drug dealing has been reported?

ask lots of questions, which will have to be replied to in writing.

keep writing, as when they keep getting recored letters with questions, the easiest thing for them to do is deal with the problem.

GetAllTheThings Wed 07-Nov-12 14:06:32

In a slightly weird way, it's a shame you haven't seen any kind of weapon..... because the police would be obliged to send an armed response unit pronto if you thought you had.

greenbananas Wed 07-Nov-12 14:22:40

Some great advice from quoteunquote

Keep reporting. Keep on reporting until they are sick of the sound of your voice, and they deal with this just in order to keep you quiet.

If there are small children living there, then you should also call Social Services. Those children are at risk! Also, Social Services may be able to make the police take action.

vanillamum Wed 07-Nov-12 14:47:21

You might want to look up mobile phone blockers.
www.ecrater.co.uk/p/14883852/portable-cell-phone-signal-block?gps=1
But be careful as I am not sure if it is legal to use them in our country although I know it is legal to own one. Perhaps nO mobile signal = no dealings maybe? Also the smell of jeyes fluid clashes with cannabis smell to the smoker I am told so sluice that around too might help. Good luck x

TiggyD Wed 07-Nov-12 15:02:23

Put an ad in the local paper saying "Cannabis for sale! Only £10 an eighth!" then give the address.

quoteunquote Wed 07-Nov-12 21:46:37

keep that diary, everything you observe, every interaction with neighbours, every communication with police, MP, local councillor, police chief,

keep sending those letters and emails, ask lots of questions, what is being done? when will it be done? who will contact you? ask lots of questions,any thing that is relevant, number those questions, when they reply, check all questions, re write and ask for any that have not been answered to be answered, ask more questions,

talk about how your quality of family life is being effected, explain how you would like each person to help, ask if they will help? ask when you can expect anything to change. give them updates from your diary,

write out templates on word, change names, and keep banging them out, someone will phone the local nick and tell them to remove this problem, because that will be less effort than dealing with you

are they growing?

gingercats Wed 07-Nov-12 21:56:25

This post caught my eye as we have a similar problem with neighbours, though they don't sound as bad as yours. I just hated the fact that we couldn't spend time in the garden this summer as smell of weed was so strong and I worry about LO breathing it in... So sad for thier DCs who have no choice but to inhale other people's smoke.

sashh Thu 08-Nov-12 00:41:13

Forget the police, call SS about the kids.

toomanydaisies Thu 08-Nov-12 05:52:43

Yeah, I was going to suggest calling SS. Sounds awful for you.

JojoLapin Thu 08-Nov-12 08:46:29

Poor you. I really feel your pain. We moved out after one year of true hell through our neighbours (we had bought the house). It was so bad that I simply did not want to go home and would look for any excuses to delay our return home. Pity, the house was great...

Quote's suggestion is a v good one and I agree that you should call SS about the children. Tell your LL too, inform them that you wil not renew your lease when it ends as the house is next door to a drug den. If you are good tenants, they won't want to lose you and might do smtg too.

It reminded me of a story similar to yours. The police were called on many occasions to report a drug den but nothing was done. The neighbours got so mad, they printed LOTS of posters that they stuck on street light posts advertising the address of the den, what was sold there and the fact that the "customers" will be fine since the police knows about them but chose not to act. It apparently worked very well.

It does not take away you have to continue living next to these people until it is resolved or your leave is up. Be strong, it won't last.

JojoLapin Thu 08-Nov-12 08:48:03

Lease not leave...

LaLaGabby Thu 08-Nov-12 08:58:00

Out of interest what danger do you feel the 'big, intimidating groups of men' are posing to your children?

Meringue33 Thu 08-Nov-12 09:08:59

I had this and despite all good intentions it is ultimately not within your power to make it stop, may drive yourself mad thinking and worrying about it, being cross with police etc. Best bet is to focus your energy instead on finding somewhere else to live as soon as possible. If its at all possible move even before your lease is up, even if you have to pay
double rent for a couple months overlap. Take money out of savings, put it on a credit card, whatever. Good sleep, safety and peace of mind is priceless.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now