Talk

Advanced search

to have said no?

(25 Posts)
5alive4life Wed 07-Nov-12 12:44:07

Before i start i want to say that I work as a nanny and this happened at the home I work at not on my own property.

House is on a hill,neighbours down the end of the garden are replacing their fence and making it higher. The builders are doing some of the work from this side of the fence because its easier due to this garden being higher up. Employers mentioned to me last week not to be alarmed if I see workmen in the garden as they have said its okay.

About 30 min ago one of then knocks on the glass door in the kitchen. I opened it and asked him if i could help him. He said he had noticed there was an electrical outlet at the bottom of the garden and asked me to switch it on. I told him i didnt know anythig about it so couldnt help him,then he said 'can i come in and have a look for it?' i said 'sorry no' then he said with sarcasm 'right thanks for all the help love'

WIBU to say NO he can not come in the house and have a look around? Its not my home,i dont know who he is,and i also think its not on to use the electric from this property when hes doing the work for the neighbours!!

daddyorchipsdaddyorchips Wed 07-Nov-12 12:46:38

YANBU AT ALL!

If he asks again, tell him to jog on.

valiumredhead Wed 07-Nov-12 12:48:10

I would want to double check with my employers first tbh.

JaxTellerIsMyFriend Wed 07-Nov-12 12:48:17

No, you are NOT BU. cheeky sod.

Seabright Wed 07-Nov-12 12:48:26

Agreed, YANBU. If you'd known where the switch was, you could have used your judgement about switching it on; but a letting a stranger into your employers home "for a look around" - No.

Slothlorien Wed 07-Nov-12 12:48:30

YANBU you are being professional.

hermioneweasley Wed 07-Nov-12 12:49:02

You were spot on.

TeeBee Wed 07-Nov-12 12:49:32

YANBU. I would check with employers that they haven't sanctioned this and then report the builders to the neighbour. Bloody cheek!

Mrsjay Wed 07-Nov-12 12:51:36

YANBU you did the right thing if he comes back again say you could come back when my employers are home,

Sugarice Wed 07-Nov-12 12:52:16

Cheeky bugger, using someone else's electricity supply!

quoteunquote Wed 07-Nov-12 12:58:17

I think you were perfectly sensible to say no,

it will take him about two minutes plug in and unwind a power cable from the property he is working from, with circuit breakers on, do you know if the power point he was hoping to use has a circuit breaker on it?

I run a building contractors, I would never involve neighbours unless pre arranged, and unavoidable.

the way he spoke to you was rude, I would be really angry if anyone on my crew ever spoke to anyone like that, we depend on all customers, clients and neighbours being left very happy, it saves me hours of work advertising, or pricing, because our good name get past on.

aimingtobeaperfectionist Wed 07-Nov-12 12:58:37

If you worked for me and let in workmen NOT working for me to 'have a look around' I'd be seriously pissed off. YANBU.

mamamibbo Wed 07-Nov-12 13:43:55

if you were in my house looking after my children and let someone into my house i would be pretty pissed off

DeWe Wed 07-Nov-12 14:11:02

If the powerepoint's in your garden so he needs to go in to the garden, the chances are it's running off your electric supply isn't it? So I think your employers will than you for not switching it on. Do mention it to them though.

5alive4life Wed 07-Nov-12 16:52:46

Glad to know im not being unreasonable!! Think he must have come back whilst i was out after the school run as we have just come back,garden is dark except for these weird coloured lights they have that flash and change colour (for parties i assume) well they are on and flashing anf i have no idea how to switch them off!! I bet the switch is outside somewhere and he flipped it in the daytime and didnt realise the lights came on as it was sunny!

Will have a word wih my employers when they return.

diddl Wed 07-Nov-12 17:02:38

Fucking entitled patronising twatangry

Shouldn´t he sort out the electricity supply needed with the people he is actually working for??!!

I would have said no even if it was my property!

MyLastDuchess Wed 07-Nov-12 17:59:04

YANBU, and it could have been anyone.

ConfusedPixie Wed 07-Nov-12 18:02:00

grin rude bastard. I hope your employers have stern words with your neighbours!

ConfusedPixie Wed 07-Nov-12 18:02:33

*shock, not a grin, used the wrong shortcut for it blush

thebody Wed 07-Nov-12 18:05:41

Tell your employer to chat to the neugbours.

ChippingInLovesAutumn Wed 07-Nov-12 18:07:36

If you were my nanny I wouldn't have minded either way tbh, especially as you'd already been told they would be there (so it's not just some random turning up) but you had to make a decision on the spot & I think you made the right one as clearly a lot of people would have been annoyed.

AdoraBell Wed 07-Nov-12 18:19:14

YANBU, but he was. Checky b'stard. If he's not working on your bosses house he shouldn't be asking for help/favours at their house either.

expatinscotland Wed 07-Nov-12 18:22:42

YANBU! Unless your employers gave permission for people they did not hire to come into their home and use their electricity, you did well not to let him in.

whois Wed 07-Nov-12 18:29:38

YANBU

NatashaBee Wed 07-Nov-12 18:33:27

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now