Talk

Advanced search

To wonder about the etiquette on this (Yet another P&T thread).

(43 Posts)
Jusfloatingby Wed 07-Nov-12 12:14:57

With Christmas coming up I was just wondering - if you've driven around the shopping centre car park twice and there's no free spaces and then you spot an empty P&T space and your only other alternative is to go home because you can't find parking, is it okay to use the P&T space or should you leave it in case a mother with a small child decides to come along in five minutes time to do her shopping?

Heeeeelpp, I really need to know <very anxious>

SkeletonButterfly Wed 07-Nov-12 12:15:50

No.

HTH

WorraLiberty Wed 07-Nov-12 12:17:19

I'd use it, yes.

<< Face - bovvered >>

buggerama Wed 07-Nov-12 12:17:35

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

squeakytoy Wed 07-Nov-12 12:18:55

I cant believe that there would be absolutely no spaces other than that one in a supermarket car park. People are coming in and out all day long.

ClutchingPearls Wed 07-Nov-12 12:20:05

Yep, it's a parking space, you need to park, so park in it.

Songbird Wed 07-Nov-12 12:20:13

what squeaky said!

Songbird Wed 07-Nov-12 12:20:46

or just make sure you have a small child with you every time you go shopping!

blondiedollface Wed 07-Nov-12 12:21:13

Must be a wind up right?

Only time I've ever done this was when 38 weeks pregnant with severe SPD and no spaces except Parent and Child. I kinda thought if anyone saw me walking waddling out in that state they'd forgive me!!

I'm guessing you are sans children, no disabled badge so yes YABVVVVU park somewhere further away and walk to your destination!!

Jusfloatingby Wed 07-Nov-12 12:22:12

Well I did think Songbird of putting a dummy child in the back seat. But then I would probably be reported for leaving my baby alone in the car.

God, it gets very complicated.

BaronessBomburst Wed 07-Nov-12 12:26:50

How about leaving a dummy in the backseat then?

<opens another can of worms>

CokeFan Wed 07-Nov-12 12:27:22

If the entire car park was full except for one space, I guarantee you that it wouldn't be a P & T space.

Jusfloatingby Wed 07-Nov-12 12:28:05

Good idea Baroness and maybe a baby's rattle as well. That should fool 'em.

BreeVanDerTramp Wed 07-Nov-12 12:30:25

This would never happen, there are no free P & T spaces, ever!

heidipi Wed 07-Nov-12 12:32:43

Don't worry about it, it'll never happen, the P&T spaces go first. Even in a half empty car park there is never a P&T space.

If the carpark is full, maybe you could park somewhere else and walk a bit?

ClutchingPearls Wed 07-Nov-12 12:32:48

You must however be prepared for someone to do what I once did.

In labour with DC3, I decided to go and do a full shop. Some guy cut me up or might have been there before I got anywhere close to get into my space.

So with all the logic for being overdue, in early labour and DP miles away. I stopped the car, started getting DC 2y and 3y out the car saying "brilliant kids this young man obviously wants to borrow some children and is offering to watch you while I shop, why else would he park in a P&T"

He very quickly shouted "I'll moved, don't leave them" got in his car and as quick as he could moved so I could park.

Jusfloatingby Wed 07-Nov-12 12:33:39

No, but just supposing Bree?

There's a poster on another thread threatening to stand in the car park with a sandwich board calling peoople aa 'lard arse' if they do this. So I want to cover every eventuality. The shame, being called a lardarse on a sandwich board.

AmberLeaf Wed 07-Nov-12 12:40:01

Anything other than a disabled space is fair game IMO.

VirginiaDare Wed 07-Nov-12 12:44:33

I would. I have.

<not remotely bothered>

YouOldSlag Wed 07-Nov-12 12:48:27

1. It's highly unlikely that in a full car park, a P and T space will be free.
2. The spaces are not so parents don't have to walk far, it's so you can extract a very small child from the back of a car without squishing them.
3. If the car parks are all full, you don't need to go home. You can either wait for someone to move their car, or park further away, or use public transport, or shop at a less busy time.

YANBU. If everyone did this, it would be pointless having them.

WorraLiberty Wed 07-Nov-12 12:52:42

If the car parks are all full, you don't need to go home. You can either wait for someone to move their car, or park further away, or use public transport, or shop at a less busy time

So can the parent with child/children.

The parking spots are a nice touch and it's very thoughtful of supermarkets to provide them...but they're not a god given right.

<< Slaps self at getting drawn into another P&C thread >>

WileyRoadRunner Wed 07-Nov-12 12:55:19

If the entire car park was full except for one space, I guarantee you that it wouldn't be a P & T space.

^^ agreed!

But if in some parallel universe that was the case then park in it.

VirginiaDare Wed 07-Nov-12 12:59:30

P&T spaces in my local tesco are always free. And I always park in them, whether or not I have the children.

scot04 Wed 07-Nov-12 13:03:26

No I wolud never park in one without newborn.

WitchesTit Wed 07-Nov-12 13:03:38

It's fine, but be aware, there's none so expert at "accidentally" knocking off a wing mirror or being soooo preoccupied getting across a busy car park to a their car with a baby laden trolley and a couple of rampant pre-schoolers who aren't very good at steering and only want to help and may bump it into a cavalierly parked car or two, as a parent who has already been wound up by mumsnet posters who are prepared to risk their shiny motor parking in a p&c space. Just sayin' grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now