Talk

Advanced search

To phone Virgin Media and ask them to send someone round to explain to DH what a home network is and how to set ours up?

(16 Posts)
D0oinMeCleanin Wed 07-Nov-12 10:56:49

Because the Virgin installer who just dropped our new router round has just told me all I need to do now is wait for my husband to come home and ask him to set everything up again for me and I'll be back online hmm

I'm not even sure DH knows what a home network is, let alone how to set ours up. He knows the X-box and laptop connect to the main PC to share files, but he doesn't yet understand how or why. He knows the phones connect to the router, but I had to set his up for him. He knows that Mario Karts Wii sometimes lets him online, but if it kicks him off he has to phone me at work to whine about it and beg for help.

If I need to wait for him, like I've been told, then someone is going to need to explain it all to him.

madasa Wed 07-Nov-12 10:58:49

Oh bugger.....I set ours up.

Didn't realise my DP was supposed to do it.....will uninstall it and wait for him to come home.....

ObiWan Wed 07-Nov-12 10:58:53

Did the installer really say that? grin

I would definitely phone them back, just for devilment.

squeakytoy Wed 07-Nov-12 11:01:44

And did you not say to the installer that you wanted to know how to set it up?

D0oinMeCleanin Wed 07-Nov-12 11:01:57

Yes he really said that. My face looked like this shock

I did ask if he could stay and explain and explain it all to DH or if I should just set it up like I did when we moved in.

Then his face looked like this blush

grin

dexter73 Wed 07-Nov-12 11:03:14

I installed ours too, and plumbed in the washing machine!

madasa Wed 07-Nov-12 11:07:12

I might go wild in a minute and change a light bulb........all by myself!

D0oinMeCleanin Wed 07-Nov-12 11:10:19

I do all the tecchy things in the house. And the plumbing things and most electrical things.

DH puts the bin out though, I do claim that is mans work blush

CajaDeLaMemoria Wed 07-Nov-12 11:10:21

Ha! I'm glad you called him up on it.

A plumber is changing our boiler at the moment. He's only ever been while I am here, so doesn't know I don't live here alone.

He's just asked where the man of the house is, and when he'll be home. I asked why, and he said to show him how to use the new boiler.

Us lady-folk are clearly just useless at household tasks.

Dawndonna Wed 07-Nov-12 11:12:11

We were told the same thing. DH told him that he had a wife to do that and would he like me to help him with his job too. Fair scuttled off, he did. Twat!

CasperGutman Wed 07-Nov-12 11:40:54

He's just asked where the man of the house is, and when he'll be home. I asked why, and he said to show him how to use the new boiler.

Nah, he just knows you'll be fine as you can read the manual. A man never would, so he needs to show him how to work it.

CajaDeLaMemoria Wed 07-Nov-12 11:46:02

He's left now. After telling me he'd made a bit of a mess of the carpet and could I clean it

I said I didn't do cleaning but I'd tell OH for when he gets home. Hee hee.

He's due back in an hour or so. He's trying to make out he needs to get a part but I've just heard him on the phone to his mate.

Binkyridesagain Wed 07-Nov-12 11:47:25

I'm in a state of confusion and have had to lie down as I can feel a mummy migraine developing.
I have been shopping=woman's work/pink job
I have also... Wait for this, it's so far into blue job territory, you will understand the migraine
Changed a light bulb, not a poxy table lamp, but a ceiling light, requiring steps. I'm sure I'm coming down with altitude sickness!

OxfordBags Wed 07-Nov-12 13:22:31

You try being short and having a high-pitched voice; sexist twats ask me if my DAD is in (now I'm in my 40s it's starting to become annoyingly flattering, however!)...

ChaoticismyLife Wed 07-Nov-12 13:33:33

If I had to wait for my husband/partner to set up my internet I'd never get connected...what with being single and all that hmm

Naoko Wed 07-Nov-12 14:08:44

I had one of those with a courier last week. I had some hardware fail in my PC so, as you do, I ordered a new one of the offending component. Courier turns up with it the next day, asks my name to confirm parcel is for me, I tell him who I am and sign for it. He the looks at the parcel, notices the company logo and nature of the contents, and says incredulously 'is that for YOU?!' No, it's for the dog...it's got my name on, who the hell do you think it's for?

I didn't say that. But I wanted to. Walking into computer shops and asking a question is good too. They always address DP with the, usually not very helpful, reply. I've been having a lot of computer trouble lately with hardware failures and as I am of a fairly geeky persuasion I don't need any help to fix that. Went to my local computer shop in the hopes of not having to wait for delivery if they had something suitable:

Naoko: 'Hi. My graphics card has failed, what models of low to mid range cards have you got in stock?'
Sales guy: (Looking at my DP, who has ambled in after me and is idly staring at a display) 'We've got one for £36'.
Naoko: 'That's pretty cheap, but I actually wanted to know what models you had.'
Sales guy (now a bit flustered, looking back and forth between me and DP): 'Oh, um, it's a...*picks up box, reads off model number* 6450'.
Naoko: 'Well, that's VERY low end...do you have anything better?'
Sales guy: 'Um...we've got one for £50 too?'
Naoko: mentally bangs head against wall a bit, thanks sales person, exits store, orders online

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now