Talk

Advanced search

Aibu to steal next door's black bin?

(13 Posts)
Cathycomehome Tue 06-Nov-12 22:06:30

There's a man next door who very rarely actually lives there. I want to nick his bin as ours is a bit full and it's bin day tomorrow. He's got lights on, but I strongly suspect they're on a timer as they go on and off at odd times.

Aibu to nick his bin? And if he is there and catches me red handed, what do I do?

fortifiedwithtea Tue 06-Nov-12 22:21:41

Couldn't you just knock and ask to put your extra rubbish in his bin if its a one-off? As long as you don't intend to put dog shit in it grin.

YABU to use his bin regularly. If your bin is too small for your needs, get onto the council for a bigger bin.

FeckOffCup Tue 06-Nov-12 22:23:21

If the lights are on knock on his door and ask if he minds if you put some bags in his bin as long as you take it to the kerb and bring it back in again, if he doesn't answer the door put the rubbish in and make sure you put the bin out to be emptied and bring it back in again.

MrsPresley Tue 06-Nov-12 22:23:32

Why dont you knock at the door first and if he's in ask him if you can use it?

Or be a helpful neighbour and put his bin out for him and put your own stuff in as well smile

Cathycomehome Tue 06-Nov-12 22:24:20

I can't knock!! shock that would be most alarming we haven't built this poor chap up into a cross between Boo Radley and The Woman in Black

WorraLiberty Tue 06-Nov-12 22:25:53

We've got an unspoken rule in our street that if your neighbour's bin is out and they've managed to close the lid, you can pop an extra bag in.

I'd knock if I were you, I'm sure it's no skin off his nose.

Cathycomehome Tue 06-Nov-12 22:26:59

Shit. Now I'm going to have to knock. Very, very quietly, almost so it would be impossible for him to hear it.

WorraLiberty Tue 06-Nov-12 22:29:54

The last time I tried to slyly cram a bag into a neighbour's bin in the middle of the night (who I didn't know) ....I pushed the bag down hard and heard, "I am Archer leader of the Gorgonites".

It shit the living daylights out of me shock

Cathycomehome Tue 06-Nov-12 22:33:57

grin he's never put his bin out before. It's a criminal waste of a good bin. I'm veering back towards just nicking it.

Cathycomehome Tue 06-Nov-12 22:36:34

Also, there's only four houses up here in the middle of nowhere, so I figure it'll make it seem more worthwhile to the bin men traipsing all the way out here if all the bins are out wink

WorraLiberty Tue 06-Nov-12 22:39:11

Oh just do it then but make sure you put it back when the refuse collectors have been.

Then if you see him during daylight hours, I'd just mention you borrowed it out of politeness. Who knows, he might tell you to borrow it as often as you like.

The woman opposite me never uses her bin. She lives alone and uses her nextdoor neighbour's bin...because she's got no room in the front for hers.

She told me if I ever need it, to just give her a knock and she'll wheel it out front.

I have to say, it's getting a bit silly round here. On a normal week, I fill my bin to capacity (despite also filling the recycling bin) but if I have a clear out of the cupboards/kid's rooms, there's fuck all room for the extra bags.

Cathycomehome Tue 06-Nov-12 22:45:11

I've nicked it. You NEVER see him in daylight hours. We've seen him twice since May, and once I said "Hello!" all cheery like, and he replied "What??" Quite crossly.

cumfy Wed 07-Nov-12 00:35:50

BIN THIEF!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now