Advanced search

To be disgusted by the criteria for free childcare for 2 year olds

(299 Posts)
LowToleranceMamma Tue 06-Nov-12 15:59:15

So because I'm not 'poor' enough, I'm not entitled to childcare for my 2 year old, even though I am really struggling with PND and a baby. We can't afford to pay for it.

WitchesTit Tue 06-Nov-12 16:00:08

What are the criteria?

LowToleranceMamma Tue 06-Nov-12 16:02:38

You must have a low income. Ours isn't but we have big bills.

SwitchedtoEatingCheese Tue 06-Nov-12 16:03:30

I'm not sure if its nationwide or just in my area but if you are struggling you can ask your health visitor for a referral and get a nursery place for your 2 year old.

MrsJamesMartin Tue 06-Nov-12 16:03:36

Its really difficult but based on markers of economic disadvantage. ideally all 2 yr olds should qualify but there isn't enough funding for all.

Do you qualify for childcare element of working tax credit? Is there any respite you could access? Your HV should know if there is.

LowToleranceMamma Tue 06-Nov-12 16:04:34

Thanks guys. I'm just scared of my HV. She has bullied me in the past.

SecretCermonials Tue 06-Nov-12 16:05:59

Whilst it is unfortunate, I dont think you have just cause to feel Disgusted, its annoying and not nice but its not you only. If you are struggling with PND can your GP/ HV give you access to any grants / special dispensation for childcare?
If having a break will help can family help you? Can you cut back in any way to send DC1 for one session?

I thought that the idea behind the free childcare at 2 was so that children from deprived backgrounds may have access to some form of education that would be lacking at home. The only way to really measure deprivation is household income but I appreciate that it's a bit of an arbitrary measure.

I'm really sorry that you're struggling op, but moaning at the government for not giving you something for free is not the answer. The scheme is to help children, not parents.

SecretCermonials Tue 06-Nov-12 16:07:28

Can you ask to see a different HV? I felt constantly undermined by mine with DC1 so banned her from my home, she has no right to make you feel that way.

MrsJamesMartin Tue 06-Nov-12 16:07:49

You don't have to speak to that specific HV just one from the team. I know that for my area you do have be in receipt of certain benefits to qualify at all even though there may be other issues such as PND.

SmellsLikeTeenStrop Tue 06-Nov-12 16:08:00

It's not just a low income, there are other requirements. A developmental delay for example, or a child with behavioural problems.

Hullygully Tue 06-Nov-12 16:08:42


MrsCantSayAnything Tue 06-Nov-12 16:09:07

Ask for another HV. See about cutting back obviously need a break but don't qualify.

Is there any way to reduce bills?

Lougle Tue 06-Nov-12 16:09:31

LTM, see if there is Homestart in your area - you can have someone who comes out for 2-3 hours each week to give you a break, it's a lifesaver.

SirBoobAlot Tue 06-Nov-12 16:09:35

A lot of places don't do free childcare until three around here.

If you don't get on with your HV, request a different one. Or see if there is a Home Start support team near you.

I do understand you're struggling, but the reason its not free from two is that its not seen as necessary for them to be playschool from two; the reason most people do it is because of work.

Do you have any family or friends around that could help out a bit?

valiumredhead Tue 06-Nov-12 16:09:55

See another HV or just don't see one at all - you don't have to.

ChippingInLovesAutumn Tue 06-Nov-12 16:10:13

You are struggling with PND, a 2 year old and a baby - it's totally understandable that you feel you need some help. How 'hands on' is your partner? What help are you getting from friends & family.

Our society cannot afford to pay for childcare for all 2 year olds. You don't meet the criteria because your income isn't low, which really (surely!) is reasonable?

Can we help you to reduce your bills - MN is very good at that.

StickEmWithThePointyEnd Tue 06-Nov-12 16:11:48

Yabu, have you tried lowering your bills so you can afford childcare? Or are there other less expensive things you could pay for like a cleaner to help you? Is your family helping you?

lisad123 Tue 06-Nov-12 16:14:36

You have no right to feel disgusted! You have two year old, your income is enough to suggest that you can afford to pay for it. Those places are for low income only, they are low income with Child protection, children with special needs, single parents, refugees and if there is parent mh issues. The place is to help the child, not to give parents a break. If your struggling there is help out there if you ask for it.

katiecubs Tue 06-Nov-12 16:14:39

Agree with what angeldelight said - the scheme is for disadvantaged kids, not to help parents out.

But ask for another HV and see what support you do qualify for. Have you tried toddler groups, they are a great way to meet people and get out of the house.

valiumredhead Tue 06-Nov-12 16:16:03

If you are seriously struggling your HV might suggest some help from Homestart - is that still around? It was when I had ds.

Nixea Tue 06-Nov-12 16:17:12

I agree with StickEm - if you can't afford childcare then what about hiring a cleaner, paying someone to do laundry or hiring a nanny/babysitter occasionally to give you chance to get out of the house without the kids?

katiecubs Tue 06-Nov-12 16:17:13

Also nurseries are expensive but many pre-schools accept kids from 2 years. The ones around here are around £10 per morning for 3 hours so much more reasonable.

DuelingFanjo Tue 06-Nov-12 16:18:08

Ask to change health visitor?

Choufleur Tue 06-Nov-12 16:19:20

Are there any play groups near you that take 2 year olds. My ds started at 2 1/2 and for 3 hours was only £6

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now