Talk

Advanced search

to sell the builders scaffolding on ebay?

(15 Posts)
Teethkissing Tue 06-Nov-12 09:33:32

I had someone come and install new fascia/soffit board maybe 3 months ago now. He said the guttering was good and so just painted it and put it back. He put an extra bracket on my neighbours guttering at the same time. Since he did it there has been a leak from the joint between our 2 houses and water was splashing over the side of the guttering instead of coming down the down piep; as he hasn’t angled it towards the down pipe. He has been back 4 times now I think to ‘fix’ it. It still leaks form the join.

I phoned him the week before last and asked him to take it down and just erect new guttering across mine and my neighbours housing. He agreed to come last week, but hasn’t turned up (I was away). Im fed up and I HAT having the scaffolding up for security reasons. I also hate this kind of situation, where I am required to get all grumpy on his ass. It has all been quite amicable so far. But what can I do now?? It has been suggested that I sell the scaffolding on ebay and use the money to pay someone to come and do a proper job…would you do that?

If I phone him and threaten to sell the scaffolding, no doubt he would come and take scaffolding…but then I have to fork out for someone to come and redo the gutters

<boring I know…sorry!>

MsVestibule Tue 06-Nov-12 09:41:14

Definitely don't sell the scaffolding, you could be prosecuted! I'm not sure if I'd be brave enough, but as he's either incompetent or taking the piss, I'd be tempted to threaten him with Trading Standards if he hasn't fixed the problem properly and removed the scaffolding by a certain date.

NarcolepsyQueen Tue 06-Nov-12 09:41:30

The scaffolding usually belongs to a different company in my experience - are you sure it is his? You can't just sell it without warning as that would be theft. You need to give him a time frame to remove it (say 3 days?) - and then say you will either charge him ground rent at £xx per day, or consider it abandoned and will organise its removal.

Cortana Tue 06-Nov-12 09:42:37

I threatened to let the scrap man take the scaffolding that had been left outside my house for 6 months. Taken down in a week.

If you are going to threaten it I wouldn't then let him finish the job even if he offered though, I'd get someone else. Just in case he does something badly as a comeback.

Saski Tue 06-Nov-12 09:43:35

I'd report this guy to whomever the authority is in this area, because if it's leaking it's not done! What an ass. Sounds like you still need the scaffolding to have it fixed! Have you paid him yet?

ImperialFireworksInMyKnickers Tue 06-Nov-12 09:48:20

If the scaffolding has been there that long it's probably his own. He hasn't needed it for another job cos he's such a crap builder no-one wants him, so he's left it at yours as he can't be arsed to take it down.

In writing, he has three days to remove the scaffolding, then ground rent chargeable by the day.

Get someone else to do/finish the job.

Teethkissing Tue 06-Nov-12 09:50:09

the scaffolding does belong to another company. they came and put it up at the beginning. They took it away promptly when the job was first 'finished'; and brought it back quickly when he need to 'fix' the mistakes. Im thinking they have gone bust....to have left it so long

can i call in someone else to put up new guttering and use his scaffolding?? Its the scaffolding that makes the job expensive huh?

trading standards? really, for such a small job? will they be interested? is it worth it?

it is complicated by the fact that the guy is the cousin of my next door neighbour...he has done a lot of the houses in the street...all ok confused

gah...i hate stuff like this!

Teethkissing Tue 06-Nov-12 09:50:48

yeah saskia i paid when he first completed

squeakytoy Tue 06-Nov-12 09:52:25

Just call someone else in then. They can use the existing scaffolding, there would be no problems with that.

Then ring the scaffolding company and ask them to take their scaffold away.

Teethkissing Tue 06-Nov-12 09:54:46

i dont have a contact for the scaffolders-he organised that

RyleDup Tue 06-Nov-12 09:58:08

Ring and ask how long you can have it for. After all, you may not have booked it, but you are paying for it.

JackThePumpkinKing Tue 06-Nov-12 10:07:44

I'd ring someone else to fix the gutter while the scaffolding is still there, then ring the builder for the contact information for the scaffolder then get them to collect it.

I hope you're not still paying for it?

Teethkissing Tue 06-Nov-12 10:10:20

no-it was a one off charge...which is why i am thinking scaffolders have gone bust...why would they leave their scaffolding with me for so long, with it earning no money? confused

right...going to contact someone else to do guttering...whats the betting, scaffold has gone when i get home?!

JackThePumpkinKing Tue 06-Nov-12 10:18:21

Scaffolders often leave it at one job until they have another job to move it to - saves them moving it twice and storing it.

Teethkissing Tue 06-Nov-12 10:26:50

fecking cheeky buggers!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now