Talk

Advanced search

To object to paying half the rent?

(125 Posts)
bedsitland Tue 06-Nov-12 03:47:03

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ripsishere Tue 06-Nov-12 03:49:45

It's difficult.
IMO, you should have found out what the whole rent was and asked about proportional reductions.
The fact they are a couple is neither here nor there, the fact that their room is bigger is pertinent.
What would they do if you threatened to move out?
<never been in a house share face>

CSIJanner Tue 06-Nov-12 03:52:14

More importantly, have you signed a contract or is this a verbal agreement? It sounds like they're subletting

Snog Tue 06-Nov-12 03:53:13

Are you subletting or paying rent direct to landlord though? If the first then YABU, if the second then yanbu.

bedsitland Tue 06-Nov-12 03:56:13

Gingerodgers Tue 06-Nov-12 03:57:15

You are sharing a house with two others therefore you don't really have half the house, iykwim. Tbh, I would not be able to bear sharing with a couple, I'd go elsewhere. I would not be happy paying half,but would put up with it til I found somewhere else.

bedsitland Tue 06-Nov-12 03:57:41

ripsishere Tue 06-Nov-12 04:05:53

Can you sit down and have a talk with them.
On reflection, it does seem a bit one sided. I imagine the LL isn't bothered as long as the rent is paid.
You should have adequate heating though.
Good luck.

bedsitland Tue 06-Nov-12 04:11:04

Goldenjubilee10 Tue 06-Nov-12 04:17:27

On balance I don't think it is very fair but it is what you agreed to before you moved in. How is the heating paid? Get a good heater and make sure your room is adequately heated.

ripsishere Tue 06-Nov-12 04:19:50

Are you in England bedsitland?

bedsitland Tue 06-Nov-12 04:22:55

Goldenjubilee10 Tue 06-Nov-12 04:51:33

You need to get a heater for your room. I can't stand being cold! I can't sleep either sad

Softlysoftly Tue 06-Nov-12 05:49:24

I don't think it should be a 3 way split as they have 1 room you have 1 room.

I do think you could have had a slightly lesser charge for a smaller room but it doesn't always work that way and should have been negotiated in the 1st place.

The heating has no bearing on rent, it should be sorted out as its bloody horrible being cold though! And will make a difference to electricity unless sorted.

I don't know how you can stand living with a couple however!

JessieMcJessie Tue 06-Nov-12 06:03:19

Bedsitland, it sounds like you signed the tenancy agreement after you moved in, because you say you were not aware of the full rent when you moved in. Presumably you went ahead and signed, having seen the full rent, because you were already in situ and felt it was too late to vote with your feet by then? You missed your opportunity, to be honest. Until you signed, they were liable for 100% of the rent and you had bargaining power. Now you're actually on the hook for their half if they don't pay. That's risky, though pretty common in flat shares, think I did it myself long ago (though sharing with friends).

All you can do is to appeal to their better nature but you don't have a leg to stand on. You also need to be careful not to poison the atmosphere as that will make home an unpleasant place to be-is the cash difference really all that much? It must have been within your budget when you took the room and to be honest you must have looked at the room, the rest of the house etc etc and decided it was a fair amount to pay for what was on offer, so caveat emptor. You're only annoyed now that you know the calculation behind it.

JessieMcJessie Tue 06-Nov-12 06:10:31

You might want to document the agreement between you to pay 50/50 by the way- it doesn't make any difference as far as the landlord is concerned as he/she can still come after either of you for the full amount, but a contract between you will allow you to take them to court to get back the half that they should have paid. And they will be protected too, so equal incentive for them to sign.

Or you could just do a runner...

SaraBellumHertz Tue 06-Nov-12 06:31:17

YANBU to think it's unfair but YABU to raise it now.

This should have been resolved before you signed an agreement.

HecatePropylaea Tue 06-Nov-12 06:48:36

I think you should tell them that you either want to pay less rent or stick to paying half the rent but have the bigger room - or you are giving notice.

And go down to the CAB and find out how you can remove yourself from the tenancy.

If they know you are going to go as soon as you can unless they come up with something fairer, they may be more inclined to do something.

OpheliasWeepingWillow Tue 06-Nov-12 06:53:38

I think you ABU actually. You answered an advertisement, pay for a service and are frankly in no position to negotiate now. I certainly would not give you a reduction based on your argument that it's unfair. That's business.

They advertised, you accepted. Done deal. If you move out there will be someone to take your place. Might take them a while but next time I would work out issues like this before you move in.

forevergreek Tue 06-Nov-12 07:22:32

It sounds like a regular agreement. Couples share a room and therefore fees to save money. If thy had more they would likely not be sharing a flat

You should have checked all the tenancy agreemens, they are legally binding if you signed. Did you not check the flat/ your room/ who you would be sharing with/ utility split? These are the basic questions to ask

NoTeaForMe Tue 06-Nov-12 07:28:37

Could you afford to pay more than you pay now? Could you say you need to pay less for the room you are in or you are happy to pay more but have the bigger room?

You should have sorted this out before signing an agreement and moving in, they are under no obligation to change anything now.

MortimersRaven Tue 06-Nov-12 07:32:01

YABU

You should have negotiated before you signed and before you moved in.

You signed, expecting the total rent to be higher than it actually is, and thought you had a good deal. It's only since discovering that you are paying 50% that you think it's unfair. Tough, IMO. Try and remember that in the first place you thought it was a good price and ignore what the others are paying.

Londonista1975 Tue 06-Nov-12 07:32:38

I don't think it's fair you're paying half but you should have really found tat out before as you said.

I lived with a couple and from experience i can tell you it was awful and I couldn't stand having no heating in my room. Agree you should go to the C.A.B to see how you can get yourself out of the tenancy.

In the meantime, please buy an electric blanket!

bedsitland Tue 06-Nov-12 07:53:44

botandhothered Tue 06-Nov-12 08:17:42

I think yabu.

If for example if the couple owned the house outright with no mortgage would you expect only to pay a share of the bills? No! You would pay for the room still, regardless of what they are paying out.

Is the room rent more than the going rate for the area?
If the rent you are paying IS the going rate for the area, then why should you pay less? Who owns the furniture and appliances? If it is the couple, will you be expecting to use their things? You should ask them to provide adequate heating for the room, though!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now