Talk

Advanced search

Ripe and ready to eat ...

(10 Posts)
longingforsomesleep Mon 05-Nov-12 23:47:54

AIBU to be infuriated by the amount of fruit on sale marked 'ripe and ready to eat' when it so clearly isn't? Surely it's against the trade descriptions act to label rock hard fruit in this way?

Dryjuice25 Mon 05-Nov-12 23:51:53

ASDA mango, yes, irritating. Oh and the kiwi sometimes.

YANBU

ripsishere Tue 06-Nov-12 07:24:14

YANBU. They seldom ripen over time either.

BadgersBottom Tue 06-Nov-12 07:29:46

Seldom? Never in my experience! Especially peaches for some reason - allegedly 'ripe and ready to eat' today, shrivelled, fossilised and hard as hell four days later! It's a big big irritation in this house!

FunBagFreddie Tue 06-Nov-12 07:37:27

Co-op ripe and ready to eat avocados - I got some and they were too ripe, they were black inside. sad

cozietoesie Tue 06-Nov-12 07:39:53

I always buy Co-op Ripe and Ready to Eat avocados on the reduced shelf - their last day of sale but they're always still rock hard. Generally takes a week or two for them to ripen up.

catsmother Tue 06-Nov-12 07:43:40

What about the "ripen at home" stuff like peaches, plums, apricots etc.

You take them home - rock hard, keep checking for 3 or 4 days, still rock hard and then seemingly overnight they turn into a nasty looking thing with blue furry mould on. It would seem there is a short window of opportunity - probably at around 2 o'clock in the morning when you're supposed to eat all of the damn things - or else you're doomed. Yes Tesco I'm talking to you.

Silibilimili Tue 06-Nov-12 07:46:41

And the papayas. But it works in my favour as they reduce the price as soon as it IS ripe and ready to eat! grin

cozietoesie Tue 06-Nov-12 08:06:53

Know what you mean, catsmother. I avoid Ripe and Ready soft fruit like the plague. Even if you do catch them at 2 in the morning, if you can't sleep, they seem to be floury and lacking in taste.

carabos Tue 06-Nov-12 08:19:12

Agree with all of you - it's my pet hate. What I do is put the fruits under a bunch of bananas in the fruit bowl. They ripen properly over a couple of days.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: