Talk

Advanced search

To have freaked out about DSs pictures?

(13 Posts)
dimplebum Mon 05-Nov-12 20:41:16

DS (4) is obsessed with goodies/ baddies/ fighting/ guns/ swords etc. He will play for hours with his figures making up goodies and baddies stories and although I dont necessarily like it especially when his stories get more aggressive I must admit I have left him to it and hoped it is just a phase.

Well tonight we were drawing bonfire pictures together and he initially drew a fire and some fireworks. I then went into the kitchen as he continued with the picture and when I returned I was horrified to see a picture of a man who was laid down with 'blood' all over him and most of the picture. When I asked him about it he gave me a detailed description of how the man was a baddie who wouldn't turn good so he had to be killed so 'he' killed him with his sword and his gun so now hTe is dead and that is his blood that has spread all over town etc etc.

I just didn't know how to react so I just said I didn't like what he had drawn because it wasn't nice and it scared me and I don't want to see anymore pictures like that again.

DH says IABU to say that to him? Am I?

VirginiaDare Mon 05-Nov-12 20:45:49

yabu, he's a little boy using his imagination. Leave him alone.

aderynlas Mon 05-Nov-12 20:50:41

My son used to draw jets and bombs and exploding baddies for ages, you dont want to know how his mutant ninja turtles suffered. He is a perfectly lovely lad nowadays, so dont worry.

dimplebum Mon 05-Nov-12 20:53:39

I suspected I was, just reflecting on it now and I feel bad about what I said 'I dont like your picture!' I actually feel awful now. It was just pretty shocking to see, a lovely bonfire picture turned into a murder scene. Will speak to him tomorrow to explain I did like his picture and the thought he had put into it but it just shocked me!

Rachog Mon 05-Nov-12 20:55:11

Ds 7 only ever draws battles. I think they are starwars based, very busy with weapons, bullets and bling traps.

SingingSands Mon 05-Nov-12 20:57:23

Sounds like my DS, who is 4. I usually respond with "mmm, right..." and let him get on with it. To be fair, the goodies always defeat the baddies, so until the baddies start winning I'll not worry about it too much!

pictish Mon 05-Nov-12 20:57:28

Yabu and overthinking it. This is little boy stuff. Sorry!

BrittaPerry Mon 05-Nov-12 20:58:37

Dd1 is always drawing people with their heads off or who have died in horrible ways. Sigh. Children.

Alisvolatpropiis Mon 05-Nov-12 20:59:37

YABU - he just has a active imagination. Lots of children go through that phase it's when they start killing cats you need to worry

LimeLeafLizard Mon 05-Nov-12 21:00:40

DS went through a stage of drawing pictures of WWII (when he was about 5yo.) They had soldiers shooting each other with guns, bullets and bits of blood flying around.

TBH I didn't like it much either, though I didn't say anything and the phase passed in a few weeks.

I expect he'll grow up to watch those dreadful endless WWII documentaries on the History Channel.

LimeLeafLizard Mon 05-Nov-12 21:01:17

Sorry, forgot to add, therefore, YABU. Sorry!

crazygracieuk Mon 05-Nov-12 21:01:27

Bonfire night is quite gory if you think that the burning of the Guy etc.
I'd say normal too. My son draws guns, Star Wars and so on.

Nancy66 Mon 05-Nov-12 21:02:23

My DS (now 7) is obsessed with blood and death and always drawing pictures of people meeting particuarly grizzly ends.

His current thing is people having their heart ripped out.

And when he has friends over it's even worse: brains being squished, being eaten alive, being fed to sharks...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now