Talk

Advanced search

to be annoyed with the hairdresser, and upset for my DS (but still see the funny side)

(15 Posts)
Justforlaughs Mon 05-Nov-12 17:35:17

It's not really funny, but more because my DS is upset than anything. When he went to the hairdressers some time ago she told him that he "didn't want that monobrow" and shaved a line through the middle of it. I didn't even notice at the time (bad mother) but a few weeks later he was getting upset and told me that he had been shaving it everyday since because he didn't want anyone to notice. It has been months and he gets upset every few weeks about it. He refuses to grow it back because he says his friends will laugh at him, but (and thsi is the bit that I can't help smiling at) his eyebrows are getting shorter. I don't know what to do except to ban him from shaving them, but he gets so upset when I try. Help! Any advice from a beautician would be gratefully recieved.

cantspel Mon 05-Nov-12 17:39:19

why dont you teach him how to pluck his monobrow. It will look better and last longer than shaving

Justforlaughs Mon 05-Nov-12 17:46:20

Because I have no idea how to do it and doesn't it have to be certain length before you can? That's why I need someone who knows what they are talking about blush. He refuses to go to a salon

scrumpkin Mon 05-Nov-12 17:51:58

Just an idea but could you cut wax strips into the ideal width and give them to him for when he feels he needs to de fluff? Just one easy strip could remove the excess pretty painlessly ...

mrskeithrichards Mon 05-Nov-12 17:53:54

Ah bless! how old is he?

Justforlaughs Mon 05-Nov-12 18:01:26

He's just 14, this happened when he was 13. Just the age to be really self consious. I am annoyed with the airdresser though. He didn't have a problem with a monobrow at all, why would she take it into her head to do this? Is this normal?

aimingtobeaperfectionist Mon 05-Nov-12 18:10:04

Poor mite. They're at such an age then that everything is embarrassing! I'd teach him to pluck the very central bit ( imagine drawing a line from the side of your nose up to your forehead, that is as far out as you should pluck but possibly a little further in for a boy?) hope that makes sense! The shaved bits should grow back quickly so his missing bits shouldn't look daft for long (and in sure no one would notice) and he won't have to pluck everyday, maybe once every couple of weeks? He can start plucking the bits in the middle as soon as they're long enough to grab with the tweezers, probably only a day or two.

Justforlaughs Mon 05-Nov-12 18:12:00

Might give it a go on teh weekend, thanks

EllenParsons Mon 05-Nov-12 18:12:17

I know it sounds girly but maybe he could have them threaded.thats what I do and I only get it done about once a month. I would be annoyed with the hairdresser though definitely angry

rogersmellyonthetelly Mon 05-Nov-12 19:20:02

Teach him how to wax. I have a giant furry caterpillar monobrow if I don't beat it into submission weekly with the wax strips, I never noticed until age 13 when someone pointed it out. I bought some wax and what a revelation!

rogersmellyonthetelly Mon 05-Nov-12 19:21:57

Btw if it hadnt been the hairdresser it would have been one of his peers which would have been far more embarrassing and miserable for him, trust me on this. Bet you can tell who pointed mine out to me...... Yep, boyfriend no 1 as he dumped me. Nice.

picturesinthefirelight Mon 05-Nov-12 19:23:16

What's a mono brow?

KatyPeril Mon 05-Nov-12 19:28:34

I wax my monobrow. Eventually, it stops growing back well, mine did so would recommend!

KatyPeril Mon 05-Nov-12 19:29:25

Pictures Where your eyebrows meet in the middle, so it looks like one giant eyebrow.

rogersmellyonthetelly Mon 05-Nov-12 19:43:37

Katyperil - how long does it take to stop fighting growing back? I've been waxing mine for 20 years or more and it doesn't seem to have got the message yet.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now