Talk

Advanced search

To be unhappy about them sharing my phone number?

(22 Posts)
ginmakesitallok Mon 05-Nov-12 15:34:01

DD2 has recently started at a new nursery. I've just received an e_mail from them with a list of children's names, along with names and phone numbers of parents/carers. Aibu to think that they should not have shared this without my permission? What would you do about it, if anything?

SecretSquirrels Mon 05-Nov-12 15:36:59

No they shouldn't give out your details without asking but it's useful for when you want to arrange birthday parties / play dates. Are you sure you didn't agree in the small print somewhere?

mmmerangue Mon 05-Nov-12 15:38:00

The data protection act (1988).

Send them a copy pronto!

ImperialFireworksInMyKnickers Mon 05-Nov-12 15:38:28

They should definitely have asked your permission. It's a nice idea in some ways, helps to arrange playdates etc, but some families don't like it and some families have very valid reasons to not want it - I'm thinking dodgy xps etc. Double check any paperwork you signed to make sure you didn't give permission in the small print, but in any case you should have been made aware that the nursery was planning to do this and have been given an option to not take part.

There are issues with Data Protection Act if they failed to get your permission to publish this info.

PurpleGentian Mon 05-Nov-12 15:39:06

YANBU.

It's a breach of data protection to share this information unless you've agreed to it.

I'd check the small print of my contract with the nursery, just in case I'd accidentally ticked the "Yes, please do share my phone number with the entire world" box. And then, assuming I hadn't, I'd make a written complaint about it.

ginmakesitallok Mon 05-Nov-12 15:41:11

No, I don't think I would have agreed for information to be shared. I've never had a list like this from dd1's school/nursery and have managed to arrange parties etc ok. There is a note at bottom that says if child is going to be absent we should call another parent to ask them to let school know?? Is that normal?

ImperialFireworksInMyKnickers Mon 05-Nov-12 15:43:06

You mean the people who run the nursery can't answer their own phone confused, or haven't heard of answering machines shock?

bigpantspam Mon 05-Nov-12 15:43:31

Bizarre, why would you call another parent instead of the school direct?

fluffyraggies Mon 05-Nov-12 15:44:00

They're asking you to call another parent to let the school know if your child is going to be absent? confused

ImperialFireworksInMyKnickers Mon 05-Nov-12 15:44:04

Is this nursery actually run by professionals or muppets?

PurpleGentian Mon 05-Nov-12 15:46:25

Our nursery tell us to ring the nursery ourselves if child is going to be absent. I would have expected that to be the normal thing to do.

Do they not have a phone?

ImperialFireworksInMyKnickers Mon 05-Nov-12 15:48:06

The only time we had phone numbers being sent out was for an emergency school closure 'cascade'. The parents involved all volunteered to ring five listed others if they had a call from the head to say school was closed due to snow etc. We had to sign a confidentiality agreement, and the two families who had particular security issues were to be rung by the head not another parent. It was all done with upfront discussion and informed consent.

sudaname Mon 05-Nov-12 15:52:11

Ah, l think l get it !

This is a nursery for toddlers, run by toddlers, yes?

ginmakesitallok Mon 05-Nov-12 15:52:31

Wording is- as a result of new guidelines it is imperative that if your child is to be absent for any reason you should contact another parent to let playgroup staff know. if this is not possible please text xxxxx by 10 am.

I don't think that other parents should be responsible for reporting my child's absence?

well no. What if other parents' child is also ill or they're on holiday?
This sounds so incredibly unprofessional I almost don't believe it (without calling you a liar iyswim smile)

PurpleGentian Mon 05-Nov-12 15:55:43

And what if the other parent gets distracted by something and forgets to tell the playgroup staff?

It's a crazy policy.

or just thinks screw that why should I?

and I'm guessing the parents of the child on the top of the list must get more than their fair share and are probably very peed off grin

ginmakesitallok Mon 05-Nov-12 16:05:54

my dd doesn't go every day. I am having visions of voice mails from strangers asking me to let playgroup know their dd is ill... Will have to let them know about my worries won't I?

SecretSquirrels Mon 05-Nov-12 16:24:44

Ah this is a play group not a nursery.
Same rules apply but I would expect more informality as they are usually more community based, often run partly by volunteers, not for profit and in some draughty church hall without a phone!

mumeeee Mon 05-Nov-12 17:13:51

This is not normal and it's against Data protection laws to give out parents details to other parents. Even if it's run in a hall without a phone the leader should have a mobile that parents can contact.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now