Talk

Advanced search

to think this man was rude?

(50 Posts)
lovelylentils Mon 05-Nov-12 14:26:51

DD (11mo) was quite happily playing on floor whilst I was phoning up getting quotes for van hire/ self storage etc and spoke to this rude man, conversation goes a bit like this...

him: telling me why he is so much better than his competitors
me: hmmm?
dd: falls over and starts to cry (so i pick her up to comfort her)
him:can you move the child away from the phone
me: (whilst beginning to bf dd to calm her) no she's ok
him: no she's screaming in my ear! angry
By that point she wasn't even making a noise as she was quite happily bf!!!
KNOB HEAD imo! Unsurprisingly we wont be using his services.

LadyMaryCreepyCrawley Mon 05-Nov-12 14:29:24

Some people don't like the sound of crying babies. It happens. I don't think he was being rude, it can sound like a roadside drill to some people.

missymoomoomee Mon 05-Nov-12 14:31:49

I don't think he was especially rude tbh, he wasn't insulting about it.

StateofConfusion Mon 05-Nov-12 14:32:35

Yanbu, its a child crying not a deliberate sound to annoy him. Shite customer service there, I'd have hung up.

KenLeeeeeee Mon 05-Nov-12 14:32:51

High pitched noises like crying are ear-splitting down the phone. Personally I would wait 'til dc were asleep or dh was around to occupy them before making important phonecalls.

lovelylentils Mon 05-Nov-12 14:39:06

she only cried out briefly and I settled her straight away. it's not like i placed the phone next to her mouth!

StElmo Mon 05-Nov-12 14:42:23

Yes, he was rude!

MrsBungleScare Mon 05-Nov-12 14:42:40

I think it comes across as rude. I might think it on the phone but I wouldn't actually say it - especially if I was trying to get someone's business!

LadyMaryCreepyCrawley Mon 05-Nov-12 14:42:45

My mother moves the phone when she coughs. It's still very loud.

mluddy Mon 05-Nov-12 14:47:24

Maybe he couldn't hear what you were saying.

Naysa Mon 05-Nov-12 14:48:10

YABU who wants a crying baby wailing down the phone. IMO rude would be hanging up which is what I would have done

Naysa Mon 05-Nov-12 14:48:10

YABU who wants a crying baby wailing down the phone. IMO rude would be hanging up which is what I would have done

quoteunquote Mon 05-Nov-12 14:48:11

he may of had a hearing aid in, it's a killer on the phone if a child cries.

Paiviaso Mon 05-Nov-12 14:55:36

If you suddenly have a loud noise come down the phone, it can be really uncomfortable.

He wasn't unreasonable to be annoyed, but he probably could have handled it better.

YouWithTheFace Mon 05-Nov-12 14:56:49

Not rude on a normal call. Insane if he's trying to sell his business to you!

WorraLiberty Mon 05-Nov-12 14:57:44

I can't imagine him saying it for fun

It must have been causing him a problem

mmmnoodlesoup Mon 05-Nov-12 15:05:32

Why couldn't he move the phone away from his ear?

WorraLiberty Mon 05-Nov-12 15:06:40

How can you have a two way conversation with the phone away from your ear?

scuzy Mon 05-Nov-12 15:13:04

yabu. you could have said that you'll phone back. i refuse to take calls where people are chewing gum, eating, not organised (tying up phone without having their queries' paper work ready), out on a street with noisy traffic and i cant hear them. i will politiely say i cant hear them give them my direct line to phone back at a more convenient time where we can BOTH hear and talk.

i know YOU have only one call to make but he had many other things to be doing and whilst his tone may have been rude in your opinion he was right to address it if he couldnt hear/understand the call.

Cortana Mon 05-Nov-12 15:18:02

YABU.

He was trying to win your business, he probably wouldn't say anything unless he needed to. He made a polite request, you said no, he explained why he had made the request. Not rude at all.

mmmnoodlesoup Mon 05-Nov-12 15:20:05

Well he could've removed the phone while the baby was screaming, once she calmed, put it back to his ear. Simples. I have to do it sometimes when someone's on a bus and the door beeps really loud, I don't say "Can you get off the bus!!" grin

carabos Mon 05-Nov-12 15:21:36

I would have asked you to phone back at a time when you were able to give the conversation your full attention, but I wouldn't have mentioned the crying.

SouthernShepherdess Mon 05-Nov-12 16:58:14

A bit of an overreaction on your part OP if I'm honest. They guy was just being straight with you. He wasn't to know she was going to settle quickly at that point right after she cried. It can be very distracting for some people and maybe he dreaded doing business over the phone with a screaming child in his ear. Dh has an office and won't let our dd (6) in the room while he's making important phone calls and who can blame him? YABU..he's not like he said something like "shut that effing kid up"! Then I may have understood you calling him rude!

maddening Mon 05-Nov-12 17:47:21

I'd have solved the problem for him and hung up smile having to listen to sales folken is dull enough without them whinging smile

pictish Mon 05-Nov-12 17:49:31

Not rude - he probably couldn't hear what you were saying, and the pitch of a baby's cry on a phone receiver is evil!

Think you were being over sensitive.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now