Talk

Advanced search

to wonder how many of you are my RL friends and I dont know

(61 Posts)
xMumof3x Mon 05-Nov-12 14:22:50

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

goingupinsmoke Mon 05-Nov-12 14:33:59

I've been on a while and Name change every few months, I think there are two types of MNetters the ones who have pictures on profiles, stick with names but don't really write anything too personal - and others who bear all and then disappear in a name change puff of smoke?

I tend to lurk, occasionally post and once I was brave an went on AIBU.

I'm not sure how Outing works? I would be a bit miffed if a RL friend knew all about me and my rantings.

xMumof3x Mon 05-Nov-12 14:38:49

OhTheConfusion Mon 05-Nov-12 14:38:57

I don't really tell anyone I use MN. I like the annonimity of it all.

cheekydevil Mon 05-Nov-12 14:43:44

I spotted someone I know on here recently as she had used her Dd's name as her mn name. I let her know though so that she could change it. We all need a place to vent safe in the knowledge that no-one knows its you.

OneMoreChap Mon 05-Nov-12 14:48:48

If you're worried about anonymity you should be more careful about what you let slip...

Why did you tell your DP, and did you <clutch pearls> when he let people know you were a MNetter?

TheCatIsEatingIt Mon 05-Nov-12 15:00:32

I got a bit suspicious that a RL friend was on here, so I name-changed. The old name was quite identifiable to anyone who knew me. Sometimes it's nice to be able to rant without fear of detection.

PeggyCarter Mon 05-Nov-12 15:09:27

blueraincoat Mon 05-Nov-12 15:23:47

The DP telling people things happens to me all the time to my annoyance. He will say "Blue say so and so on mumsnet the other day" I am there gritted teeth saying shut up, SHUT UP!

blueraincoat Mon 05-Nov-12 15:25:31

*saw, even

Pagwatch Mon 05-Nov-12 15:25:54

Dh would never talk to people about my mumsnet use. If he did I just wouldn't talk to him about it anymore.

OneMoreChap Mon 05-Nov-12 15:27:09

I think DW's only mention was "Mumsnet? Isn't that for mums, not dads? It's just more online shite anyway..."

Ithinkitsjustme Mon 05-Nov-12 15:27:39

As I haven't worked out how to name change yet I've been stuck with this one since I first joined! grin with no option but to carry on as I'm totally adicted to it. I couldn't even change after an ill advised thread I started and just had to pray that no-one remembered me. TBH I never really take note of who says what, I will reply to a post on a thread but would have absolutely no idea if I'd connected to that poster in teh past blush

Ithinkitsjustme Mon 05-Nov-12 15:29:12

Thinking about it, the only person I'd really not want to know that I was me, would be my MIL! grin

stinkinseamonkey Mon 05-Nov-12 15:31:52

I don't know you, but have identified others I know, am 100% sure of one, and fairly certain of others. No I haven't told them.

I don't understand when people say "please don't out me" either, do people go "hey, aren't you Ann Smith of 1 Beach Road telephone number 07856111111, daugher of Mary and John Blogs, wife of Martin Smith???

why would anyone do that?

CommanderShepard Mon 05-Nov-12 15:57:45

I don't know about anyone else but I change small but key details about myself/situation if I think someone might recognise me.

PeggyCarter Mon 05-Nov-12 16:00:03

amillionyears Mon 05-Nov-12 16:06:47

I have asked someone who I thought might use MN if she is on here, and she didnt have a clue what MN was.
I think certain types of people post on MN. A lot of my friends and aquaintances dont really fit the critique. Mind you, it only takes 1.

other than that, I tell the kids to not say I use MN , but can say I am on an online forum. They look at me incredulous,they are aghast that they would even deign to mention what I get up to.

amillionyears Mon 05-Nov-12 16:08:43

stinkinseamonkey, it is done. Also, some posters on here also use facebook etc, and there is a certain amount of information crossed over. That seems to happen to some people, quite often.

Viperidae Mon 05-Nov-12 16:12:18

I change names every now and again but try not to divulge too much that would out me.

Ithinkitsjustme Mon 05-Nov-12 16:14:19

OK, just for the doofus, how do you name change?

Oblomov Mon 05-Nov-12 16:14:57

I have never told anyone that I use MN. And never will. I do not namechange. I have been on maybe 2 threads where it has then turned out that the person lives very near me, but other than that, no 'outing' has happened to me, afaik.

thebody Mon 05-Nov-12 16:19:17

Don't care. I have posted on an event that could identify me but I figure I don't say anything in here I wouldn't in real life so not bothered really.

stinkinseamonkey Mon 05-Nov-12 16:19:33

I guess I assume that anyone I know could see what I post on here, its probably the most public forum around, with threads often ending up on chat shows or in the media..

I do bitch and let off steam but name change and change details.. hopefully sucessfully

InNeedOfAPennyForTheGuysBrandy Mon 05-Nov-12 16:21:50

I don't care if I'm outed I have wrote very personal posts but I am not ashamed of anything iv'e done or had happen to me. I have done a bonfire nc but will change back on the 6th until christmas. I also have a pic of my dc on profile so very easy to out, I'm not one of these two faced cows that comes online and bitches about her friends though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now