Talk

Advanced search

to ask to get a birthday gift changed?

(14 Posts)
RevealTheHiddenBeach Mon 05-Nov-12 12:50:05

This is my first post... but I've been a lurker for some time! Most of my questions are generally answered by a talk search but not this one.

It's my birthday today and my partner has bought me a pandora bracelet. It's gorgeous and I really like it, but it's too big - I have little kids sized hands, and like stuff fairly tight, and the bracelet can be taken off without being undone. So it's irritatingly dangly, and I'm terrified I'll lose it/catch it on stuff.

He said it was the 17cm size but I've measured it and it's 19cm. This is my first birthday of us being together (been together 9 months) and I'm worried I'll sound ungrateful if I ask for a smaller one/say I've measured it. AIBU to ask? And if not should I ask now or leave it a few days?

thank you!!

eosmum Mon 05-Nov-12 12:51:55

You will have to have it changed, it will stretch when you get charms on it and you'll lose it. You don't have to say you've measured it, but just say you'd hate to lose it, and maybe they can shorten it.

Pancakeflipper Mon 05-Nov-12 13:00:08

Just pop into the shop and ask the sales assistants to help you. I am sure they will.

FredFredGeorge Mon 05-Nov-12 13:02:40

If it doesn't fit, get it changed, YABU and silly to leave it the wrong size.

Ithinkitsjustme Mon 05-Nov-12 13:09:28

No-one is going to be offended if you have it changed for a different size. It would be far worse to lose it or not wear it in case you do. They may have given him the wrong size by mistake.

RevealTheHiddenBeach Mon 05-Nov-12 13:16:49

OK thank you. I think he bought it online so probably more of a faff to change than going into a shop, but will definitely say something now, especially if it's likely to stretch! I just don't want to sound ungrateful...

RevealTheHiddenBeach Mon 05-Nov-12 15:06:38

I asked him... He wasn't offended but sounded a bit gutted! He said he bought it over a month ago so can't return it sad bit of a shame but I will just have to be super careful!

LFCisTarkaDahl Mon 05-Nov-12 15:10:21

hmm it does not matter how long ago he bought it, they will still change it - it is in their interests to keep you as a customer so you buy charms.

It's far more likely he's bought you a fake - I really can't think of any other reason he would be obstructive.

Toffeeapple21 Mon 05-Nov-12 15:16:23

I tried to exchange a ring from Pandora for another size. The sales assistant was exceptionally rude and said she wouldn't exchange it despite it being in its original box and original bag in mint condition. I did not have the receipt.
I kicked up a fuss and eventually she exchanged it, reluctantly.

I would try to swap the bracelet even if you don't have the receipt as its too big. But be prepared to have to be firm with the snooty sales staff! Good luck

pinkyp Mon 05-Nov-12 15:19:00

There are alot of fakes about, could you get it shortened at a jewellery shop?

bigsnugglebunny Mon 05-Nov-12 15:57:22

It shouldn't stretch with charms on, mine became smaller with them on - so I had to get a much bigger one to start with. (Ooh unless it's a leather one? Those might stretch.)

bigsnugglebunny Mon 05-Nov-12 16:00:12

Nope, you're right actually... on second thoughts they could stretch. Lol, blame lack of sleep! However I got a bigger one for all the charms - and don't wear mine very often! smile

RevealTheHiddenBeach Mon 05-Nov-12 16:42:06

It was from an approved online place (he just hates 'real shopping'), we are going to attempt to sort it at the local store this evening! I shall attempt Being Firm. If all else fails we shall try the jewellers next or just buy a new one and sell on the old one. I know if it was full of charms (although that may take ten thousand years for me to afford) it would be a little tighter but they would have to be the size of conkers to make it fit!!

RevealTheHiddenBeach Mon 05-Nov-12 18:17:31

I asked him... He wasn't offended but sounded a bit gutted! He said he bought it over a month ago so can't return it sad bit of a shame but I will just have to be super careful! He also read this

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now