Talk

Advanced search

- neighbour should have told us about their planning application?

(29 Posts)
megandraper Mon 05-Nov-12 12:46:28

Just found out, by chance, that our next-door neighbour has applied for planning permission to build a 2 storey extension and garage.

I rather think they could have mentioned that to us! Just going to have a look at what details I can find from the council now. A touch concerned.

Pancakeflipper Mon 05-Nov-12 12:49:15

They don't have to as the council planning dept will send out letters to neighbours to whom the extension may impact on.
But it is courtesy to have a word with the neighbours to let them know. We told our neighbours and let them see the plans and ask questions. They then signed the letter from the council saying they were happy.

hiviolet Mon 05-Nov-12 12:50:17

If they are next door then you should get a letter from the council inviting you to respond with any concerns.

I know this because the house on the corner to us applied for a two storey extension and we objected. It was rejected, one of the reasons being it would have overlooked our garden too much. Fast forward one year and they've applied AGAIN, so we objected again, and are currently awaiting the verdict. Someone from the planning department came to take photos in our garden last week so fingers crossed hmm

megandraper Mon 05-Nov-12 12:50:40

We haven't had anything from the council and it looks like the application was filed nearly a month ago.

Yes, I would have thought it was a matter of courtesy to tell us. We are on friendly terms (pass the time of day when we see each other sort of thing). Makes me a bit concerned that there's a reason they're trying to slip it past us!

WorraLiberty Mon 05-Nov-12 12:52:14

Maybe they think it might come across as boastful to personally tell you about it?

As long as the council let you know in the alloted time, I wouldn't worry.

Dededum Mon 05-Nov-12 12:55:33

Agreed they should have told you.

Just finished our loft conversion, first thing I did was tell neighbours and then kept them updated on timings throughout. No problems and happy neighbours.

GreenShadow Mon 05-Nov-12 12:55:55

Worth letting the council know that you haven't been informed.

Scroobius Mon 05-Nov-12 13:02:29

You can go on your council website, view all the plans etc on there and object if you want to. Our neighbours did this; YANBU, however it did make me laugh that they had to pay 3 times to put in the initial and then amended versions of their extension all because they refused to talk to us about it. if they had we could have told them that we were going to object (it was truly ridiculous the 1st time round) and why and they could have redone their plans without putting them in first.
We are however talking about people who think it's perfectly acceptable for their builders to trespass into our garden, leaving the gate open for our dog to get out, leave building crap all over the place and then put scaffolding on our newly laid lawn without so much as a passing comment that they were going to do it never mind asking permission. (Can you tell I'm a bit touchy on the subject of rude neighbours and their building works?)

megandraper Mon 05-Nov-12 13:12:30

looking at applications documents now. The website is really irritating, it won't let you page back, so you have to log back in all over again to look at each individual document.

don't completely understand plans, will have to look at them with DH tonight and work out what's the proposal.

what are the grounds for objecting to planning permission?

cozietoesie Mon 05-Nov-12 13:15:32

It will tell you on the website - in detail if you pursue the links. I'm afraid they're usually pretty limited.

bureni Mon 05-Nov-12 13:17:03

Perhaps your neighbour has put the plans/application in pending approval with the plans possibly needing modifications to suit the area. I would have thought that you would have received a letter from the council by now though they are not obliged to send you one.

bureni Mon 05-Nov-12 13:23:07

There are very few grounds for objecting against a planning application, any structural problems tend to be passed of as a civil matter by the council and building control from my experience but it might be a good idea to contact your neighbour via a solicitor and get them to sign an agreement that any structural damage caused by their works is covered at their expense before any construction begins. Communication is the key here before anything gets the go ahead.
If the application is granted I suggest to take a lot of internal and external pictures of your property to prove its condition before and after works are completed.

Beanbagz Mon 05-Nov-12 13:27:49

How well do you get on with your neighbours? They don't need to tell you though it would have been courteous for them to tell you. You should have got a letter from the Council if it's your immediate next door neighbour.

The first thing we did when we bought our current house (which we planned on extending) was go through the plans with the neighbours. They both said they were ok with what we were doing but we later found out that one of them put in an objection (spoiling their view).

As it was we were granted planning permission and the neighbours have hated us since.

Scroobius it's really hard to keep control of your builders in my experience. Our insisted on parking in the turning space, annoyed the neighbours by taking so long to complete the job and generally being rude. Since we couldn't live at the house when the work was going on, we couldn't really control them and when i finally did lose my pateince with our builder, he walked off site sad

hiviolet Mon 05-Nov-12 14:11:48

You can object, I believe, if the extension overlooks your property to the extent that your privacy would be compromised. Ditto if it would affect the amount of light entering your property/garden.

What I don't understand, in the case of our neighbours, is if they had planning permission refused once, how can they reapply a year later with an identical proposal?

lovelyladuree Mon 05-Nov-12 14:22:10

Of course it would have been courteous to tell you, but people don't give a flying fairy about anyone but themselves these days. I just wish people would buy houses which they can happily live in instead of knocking the bollocks out of them.

Seeline Mon 05-Nov-12 14:24:07

Neighbours have no duty to inform each other when they make a planning application.
Council's no longer have to write to neighbours - some have stopped doing this and put up a site notice instead (it's cheaper).
If you have found the plans on the web site and are not happy then write to teh Council straightaway - do not wait for a letter that might not come.
You can object to a proposal if it would result in a loss of privacy to your property (although to be fair if there is already a two storey house next door it is hard to see how your privacy would be significantly affected). You can also object if the addition would appear unduly dominant from your property and result in overshadowing/loss of light. You can also object if you feel the addition would be harmful to the character and/or appeaance of the property itself or the area in general. There may be more specific objections such as an impact on a protected tree etc.
hiviolet People can resubmit applications as many times as they like. If an application is being submitted following a refusal and it is an attempt to overcome the reasons for refusal, there is no fee if submitted within a time limit. They may have submitted an identical proposal if they wish to lodge an appeal against the refusal - this has to be done within 12 weeeks for householder applications so they may have missed teh deadline.

hiviolet Mon 05-Nov-12 14:34:02

Thanks for clarifying Seeline. Their last application was a year ago so I imagine they've tweaked the plans in some minuscule way (but it's still demolition of garage + erection of two storey side extension). I just can't see how they could possibly get permission considering the reasons for rejection have not and never will change. I'm just a bit worried that this application will go through, despite the first one being rejected because it would overlook and block light from coming into our garden.

Sorry for hijacking OP!

mluddy Mon 05-Nov-12 14:40:59

I don't know if it's still going but there's an organisation called planning aid where volunteer planning officers will look at the plans and give you advice on what points to object on. Include loads of photos in your letter - because the planning committee often don't see the site.

We found planning aid invaluable. Our neighbour didn't tell us. And yes, she ended up having to submit her plans twice simply because she didn't speak to us about it.

The points you can object on are quite unusual. You'd think it would be light and overlooking but in our case neither of these points were valid. We got it on "overbearing bulk" and "pinning in".

Be aware that if they need to access your property to build it, you do not have to give permission.

mluddy Mon 05-Nov-12 14:41:50

www.rtpi.org.uk/planning-aid

megandraper Mon 05-Nov-12 14:43:14

no problem hiviolet!

Thanks seeline & bureni for info.

There is a site notice apparently - it's round the front (we don't go out that way, plus I am registered blind so don't tend to spot that kind of stuff!)

Will go through the website info tonight, and give neighbour a call to ask if we can come round and talk through the plans to understand what they're doing.

Have no wish to be obstructive, but do want to understand what the plans are!

SpectralMissSpooky Mon 05-Nov-12 14:43:21

Search for MrsDeVere's bungalow in the garden thread. Scary stuff but loads of help with regards to planning etc.

megandraper Mon 05-Nov-12 14:44:02

thanks spectral, think i remember that - a gym that turned into a giant cellblock or something... Will have a look.

Scroobius Mon 05-Nov-12 14:48:36

Beanbagz Yeah I do understand that it can be hard to keep track of builders (my DH is a site electrician so understands all to well) but they just refuse to speak to us about anything, I'm not sure if they're scared of us or something.... I actually think it's because they genuinely live in their own world where the only people who matter are them!
We objected based on the fact that their 2 storey extension would completely obliterate any light from the back of our house and garden. To be fair I think we could actually have objected to what they have ended up building too but that would have just been petty as it doesn't actually bother us much now they've changed the plans.
I wish I'd have known about that site before mluddy would have made me panic a bit less that we might have ended up with no light whatsoever in our kitchen.

Dededum Mon 05-Nov-12 15:49:15

The law might have changed, hence putting the application in twice. Our loft conversion was turned down, we lost the appeal, then the law changed and it was granted.

Pendeen Mon 05-Nov-12 16:13:05

bedhopper

Unless your neighbours house is some distance from yours they must contact you anyway under the Party Wall Act.

There is no list of reasons for objecting - you can object on any grounds you like however the council's planning officer must abide by the national planning legislation and local planning guidelines and policies.

In any event, the application will most likely have to be referred to the planning committee if an objection has been received rather than grant approval under what are known as 'delegated powers'.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now