Talk

Advanced search

cancelled amazon orders just after money was taken authorisation no sat on my account since fri

(9 Posts)
whizzbanghellokitty Mon 05-Nov-12 11:34:29

money is for xmas pressies it should be sorted by tom/wed

WorraLiberty Mon 05-Nov-12 11:35:44

Sorry I don't know what you're asking?

Petsinmypudenda Mon 05-Nov-12 11:36:46

Eh?

SavoyCabbage Mon 05-Nov-12 11:36:56

Me neither.

HecatePhosphorus Mon 05-Nov-12 11:54:43

Good. Glad it will be sorted. It is a pain when you have to wait.

Money can be taken instantly, but requires days and days to be refunded.

I have never understood that.

Transactions CAN be instant. The technology exists.

TheDetective Mon 05-Nov-12 12:27:50

Pondering starting a new thread on that Hecate. It is one of my biggest annoyances in life.

That and the ever shrinking size of food in supermarkets, and the ever increase in the cost (or even worse - same price, but less product!)

I clearly have no problems in life if these annoy me grin

GhostShip Mon 05-Nov-12 13:24:56

It gets TAKEN instantly but it doesn't mean the company receives it instantly.
Just how when they refund you, it leaves their account instantly but you don't get it instantly.

Instant is more expensive

whizzbanghellokitty Mon 05-Nov-12 13:50:15

cheers was just venting

NetworkGuy Mon 05-Nov-12 13:54:36

With bank to bank transactions being possible within 15 minutes (as per the way the loans firms advertise on TV) and in my own experience, within a couple of hours from Halifax into HSBC (my a/c is with HSBC), I can see there could be a delay, but the cost is only significantly higher when one required the funds to be proven as 'cleared' (as in a transfer for a house purchase). So yes regarding instant but same day is no more expensive to the customer than 'wait for the banks to confirm it' - it's just very inconvenient and the banks did promise they would get it to be same day but have not kept their word (hardly a big surprise there, then!)

Most transfers are based on clearance after a few days, and before then the user of the account is at risk if the 'sending' bank later says 'Hang on, this was in error', when the 'receiving' bank will deduct the amount again.

In the case of a big firm like Amazon, I can understand some parts being awkward (they are passing on the orders in many cases, unless it is fulfilled by Amazon directly) so cancelling something could be a teeny bit more difficult if the order has already gone out to some supplier and they will also expect payment.

If the order is cancelled, then Amazon itself may be able to refund the cost, but it's the banks which could be the delaying factor because whichever bank(s) Amazon uses might be unhappy at immediately refunding.

I feel sure it could be made faster, with the "use this money at your own risk, as it is not guaranteed to be 'cleared funds' from Amazon" clause for the person who placed the order then cancelled (was going to call them the customer, but they are non-customers at that stage!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now