Talk

Advanced search

To have apologised - a p&c space thread

(18 Posts)
Softlysoftly Mon 05-Nov-12 11:00:03

Im almost quaking posting this but here goes....

Yesterday I was taking DD2 to mothercare for some grows, in my defence it was weeing it down and I was tired. I saw a p&c space open up and drove round to it, by which point a car had whipped in and parked, fair enough, but the middle aged spry driver got out, no kids.

Being a grumpy bitch I wound down the window and asked nicely if he had kids, no, smiling nicely I said I did, and waited passive aggressively, he put his eyes down and shifted his car.

Went to MC then nipped into light shop next door, saw him, then the MN jury started ringing in my ears about entitlement, I felt a twat and went over to him, apologised for being grumpy about the space, he was fine.

I felt all good about myself.

Then I went out at the same time as him to get in my car, he jumped into his, now parked in a disabled space shock so WIU to apologise?

WelshMaenad Mon 05-Nov-12 11:01:42

Did he have a blue badge, though?

Djembe Mon 05-Nov-12 11:04:14

IMO this falls into my category of 'you can't change other people's behaviour but you can control your own'. You did entirely the right thing. He was being a dick but it was still nice of you to apologise.

iknowwho Mon 05-Nov-12 11:07:07

Well if he parked in the disabled place and he wasnt entitled to he would probably just have smirked and thought you were a silly bitch tbh. (him having the sense of entitlement)

If he was entitled to park in the disabled fair enough.

mrskeithrichards Mon 05-Nov-12 11:07:11

I think if these spaces are free it is rude to use them when you don't need them and fair enough to challenge someone who has blatantly abused the courtesy.

It's not worth getting into a state over though. It gets crazy when you hear of people following people round shops, getting into stand up arguments, not being able to park elsewhere etc.

I did point out to someone she'd left her baby in the car the other day. When she looked at me puzzled and said 'I don't have a baby' I said, 'oh, funny that' and left it at that. I think it took her a second to twig what I meant!

Softlysoftly Mon 05-Nov-12 11:10:40

No blue badge, def no blue badge, just a selfish git.

Jusfloatingby Mon 05-Nov-12 11:12:17

If he was parked in a disabled space without reason I would have no problem saying something to him.
P&T space?? Meh! They're just a concession really, not a necessity. If there's other spaces available nearby it's a bit mean to park in one. But if the car park is full or its pelting down and there are no other spaces anywhere near the door then I kind of think 'first come, first served'. <Ducks>

mrskeithrichards Mon 05-Nov-12 11:17:05

There's no way I could use one on my own! I'd be to scared a frothing mumsnetter would maul me!!!

Stevie77 Mon 05-Nov-12 11:18:01

I think P&C spaces and people's attitudes towards them prove the human race is selfish, lazy and fat-arsed. Or at least, those who park in them without children are.

aderynlas Mon 05-Nov-12 11:21:26

I dont drive my dh does and would never park in a disabled space. The thing is though he has been quite ill recently and has on occasion used p and t spaces. Wouldnt want any arguments but wouldnt move the car either.

Jusfloatingby Mon 05-Nov-12 11:21:37

Well it depends Stevie. I have heard people giving out stink about a very elderly person or someone recovering from surgery taking up one of the P&T spaces. I think that's desperately selfish and self entitled.

mrskeithrichards Mon 05-Nov-12 11:24:13

It would be ideal if we could have wider, accessible spaces for people to use when they feel the need to and in my rose tinted friendly world it would work fine!

Stevie77 Mon 05-Nov-12 11:28:15

Unfortunately, most of the child-free people I've see park in these spaces, Justfloatingby, do not fit into any of the redeeming categories that are brought up here so often.

Some of them have children far too old to require the extra wide spaces (teenagers are too old, sorry), some just sit in them outside the store while another person is shopping inside. But most are just too lazy to walk the few extra steps from a regular space to the store.

Everlong Mon 05-Nov-12 11:28:50

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

iknowwho Mon 05-Nov-12 11:29:22

I've listened and read time and time again on MN about P and C spaces and I honestly don't get them.
I am beginning to think they cause more problems than they solve.

Sure I get that they are slightly wider than regular parking spaces but I always (and still do ) park away from the main entrance where people walk in front of your car when you are trying to reverse or cars are waiting to jump in your space because you are a couple of meters nearer to the door.

Generally speaking parents are fitter enough to park and walk away from the main entrance if need be.

I hate these P and C threads but I am always drawn to them like a moth to a lightbulb to see what people are whining about.

Jusfloatingby Mon 05-Nov-12 11:31:07

I agree MrsKeith. Also an acceptance that spaces by the door can often be a godsend to people other than parents with young children. I don't just mean people who are 'lazy', but people who haven't been well, are a bit unsteady on their feet but not enough to have a blue badge, and so on. I think a sign saying something like 'please leave these spaces free for those who need them' or something would work beautifully in an ideal world.

mrskeithrichards Mon 05-Nov-12 11:34:25

If I see one free then I'll use it, if not I park elsewhere and get on with it, it's quite simple! I do think it's rude to use them when you're without child. The only time I've ever got angry was at Ikea on day when a prick in a BMW x5 cut me up to get into one (he had no kids) but what he done would have made me mad whether it had been a p &c or normal space.

They are a courtesy extended to those that would benefit, common decency would say to leave them for those people.

lljkk Mon 05-Nov-12 11:35:16

I think you have far too much time on your hands if you notice where other people park & whether they deserve to be there.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now