Talk

Advanced search

To move my son away from his grand parents

(9 Posts)
FifromN12 Mon 05-Nov-12 10:34:06

Hello there,

I will try make this sweet and short. I am french living in London married to a South African man. We have lived in Cape Town for a year but came back for different reasons. However since we got back, we realized we don't want to stay in London for different (expensive, way of life, schools, commute ect.) and we can't go back to France. We are looking going back to Cape Town which would allow us to buy a house without a mortgage, I would work part-time (i could never do this here) and my hubby would keep his job working from home.
His family lives there and my parents as you can imagine are not happy... We would afford to spend xmas and holidays back in Europe as I want my son (2 years old) to be European/South African.

Not easy but I need to think about my family but I hate upsetting my parents especially my mum.

North London12

WorraLiberty Mon 05-Nov-12 10:44:32

It's not easy but I imagine your family must have upset someone when they came to live in England?

Sometimes you just have to do what's right for you and yours.

FifromN12 Mon 05-Nov-12 10:48:41

Yes even though we are only a train ride away we dont seem them that much... and in CT he would have his granma, uncle, aunt and cousins. And he will be close to my parents...its hard but i know we are doing the right thing.

honeytea Mon 05-Nov-12 10:52:34

I think your life in south Africa sounds lovely, as you would be able to come back to Europe in the holidays I think you and your DP and son would have the best of both worlds.

BadgersBottom Mon 05-Nov-12 11:44:59

I say go - your parents might be upset at first but they will see that you are doing it for all the right reasons. Also - these days with Skype and cheap international calls, and flights, South Africa is not the 'other side of the world' that it once was. Go. I'm jealous as hell - I go like a shot!

WorraLiberty Mon 05-Nov-12 11:46:39

I go like a shot!

I thought that was just a rumour grin

FifromN12 Tue 06-Nov-12 11:07:23

ladies thanks so much!!! I know it might seem stupid about needing reassurance.... i guess its always difficult to know if you are making the right decisions.

We moving and in the next 1-2 years everything to organise eck! my parents dont really want to hear about it even though my mum and I are very close

fryingpantoface Tue 06-Nov-12 12:49:20

worrajust snorted at that. DH looked over and went "Mumsnet. Makes sense" ha ha

Justforlaughs Tue 06-Nov-12 13:06:47

I think it's up to you to do what you feel is best for your own family. My siblings have all gone abroad and feel that it's right for them. It wouldn't be right for me, I know that I could never leave my mum, even if I don't see her everyday.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now