Talk

Advanced search

to let DD design her own boots for Christmas?

(19 Posts)
oopslateagain Sun 04-Nov-12 20:21:15

DD is 14 and absolutely loves Converse. She wants knee-high ones, and you can get them custom-made for a bit extra. The design she's chosen is a bit unorthodox (purple with blue stitching, and a skull pattern on the tongue). My mum is completely hmm at it, saying it's a waste of money. It's going to cost the best part of £100 and will be DD's main present. As they're custom-made, they can't be returned.

DD promises she will love them forever and ever and wear them every day. TBH, I think she probably will.

44SoStartingOver Sun 04-Nov-12 20:22:47

Sounds fab

HoneyDragon Sun 04-Nov-12 20:22:50

If its within the budget and that's what she wants then why not?

ImperialFireworksInMyKnickers Sun 04-Nov-12 20:24:01

Have her feet stopped growing enough yet? Otherwise a lovely idea.

mrskeithrichards Sun 04-Nov-12 20:25:14

Awesome present!

drivingmisspotty Sun 04-Nov-12 20:25:25

Do it! I am thinking of asking DP to get me something similar for Christmas. Nearly £100 isn't really expensive for boots. Can she try on some non-custom ones in a shop to make absolutely sure you order right size?

Sirzy Sun 04-Nov-12 20:25:32

As long as she isn't going to outgrow them in the next 6 months and is likely to look after them then why not?

Woofsaidtheladybird Sun 04-Nov-12 20:25:54

smile

I bought some amazing purple shin high DM boots when I was 19, which isaved up for from my meagre student weekend pub shifts salary. My parents were angry and hmm and everything and were appalled. I wore them to death. I still have them in the cupboard.

I am now 40 and can't believe that DMs are apparently 'in' again. I might wear them to their house at Christmas grin

If money is no object, then lucky DD!

oopslateagain Sun 04-Nov-12 20:27:09

She's been in the same size shoes for over a year, so no problems there. It's just -barely - within our budget. We wouldn't have normally spent that much, but she never asks for 'name brand' things, Converse is her only 'vice', as it were grin.

I think Mum's worried that these will be a bit of a novelty and will live in the wardrobe.

gerbilsarefun Sun 04-Nov-12 20:27:53

IMO, better than something she won't use. I have a 14yo dd and she now has 2 Paul's Boutique bags. One was £56 and one was £66. She uses them for school and they have lasted really well (should do really at that price). I wouldn't spend that on a bag for me, but it is what she likes, she's not really into clothes, loves comfort more than style.

chirpchirp Sun 04-Nov-12 20:28:10

Do it. As long as it's within budget. She'll love them. At 14 I would have loved them. In fact I still would love them.

Ithinkitsjustme Sun 04-Nov-12 20:28:54

I've still got my DM's that I bought when i was in uni (a very long time ago!) as other people have said she's old enough to know what she wants and as long as her feet have stopped growing then I'd do it. In fact I might suggest it to my DD as I am stuck for her (I've just got to check what size they go up to!)

NinaHeart Sun 04-Nov-12 20:29:08

What's it got to do with your mum anyway?

mrskeithrichards Sun 04-Nov-12 20:29:16

I don't think dm's or chucks for that matter have ever been out! I do despair a bit at the amount of converse being worn with m&s jeans and Kath kidson bags but they've always been popular in different circles!

Dh bought be stunning purple dm's last year - total surprise and I love them after the week of hell breaking them in

oopslateagain Sun 04-Nov-12 20:31:46

Nothing to do with Mum as such, except she lives 5 minutes away, sees us every day, and gives me the hmm look every time I mention DD's boots.

You've all convinced me we were right, anyway. I'll be ordering them this week so she'll get them in time for Christmas. Mum can roll her eyes at me all she likes. grin

(Wonder if I can persuade DH that while we're ordering DD's, we could order me some nice ones too...)

tiredteddy Sun 04-Nov-12 20:32:56

I got the knee high purple converse last Xmas and I still adore them. They are lush! I got them in schuh so if you want to check for size that's where to go. So cool and zips up the back so don't even need lacing after the first time! Get them for her they sound fab!

PurplePidjin Sun 04-Nov-12 20:33:45

I bought my first dm boots with birthday money at the same age. My mum tried absolutely everything to talk me out of it.

I kicked the living shit out of them and still wear them (occasionally) 17 years later.

If you know she'll appreciate them, do it grin

mrskeithrichards Sun 04-Nov-12 20:34:24

I'd love a pair but think I'm to old!

lucyellenmum Sun 04-Nov-12 20:36:30

envy I want a pair!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now