Talk

Advanced search

to call the RSPCA?

(21 Posts)
poorpooch Sun 04-Nov-12 15:08:48

Neighbour has allowed dog poo to stay in the garden to the point it's developing fungus and smells sickening. There must be 30+ poos. Fungus has started to spread and worry for the children/animals around the area as it looks like nasty stuff (like pasta colour and shape(. Been going on for weeks but unsure whether to complain.. It's a bought property ansd we dont know them at all really.. Wwyd?

vodkaanddietirnbru Sun 04-Nov-12 15:10:47

What about environmental health people instead?

missymoomoomee Sun 04-Nov-12 15:12:11

I wouldn't trust the RSPCA to do anything, they are seriously crap. I would think environmental health would be more appropriate in your situation

ThatVikRinA22 Sun 04-Nov-12 15:14:01

id call the council.

BluelightsAndSirens Sun 04-Nov-12 15:14:12

No to the RSPCA and yes to enviro health.

Could you put a note through there door? Oi shit collectors......

SoupDragon Sun 04-Nov-12 15:18:13

How is it a danger to animals and children?

whatthewhatthebleep Sun 04-Nov-12 15:37:50

It poses a risk to the poor dog having to access such a filthy area but if it's a fenced private garden then it's not really much of a risk problem to others I wouldn't think....maybe yes if there are air bourne fungal spores though...not sure about this...
...call the council dog warden...they are good at dealing with this sort of thing and if the dog is not being cared for, then they can also remove the animal if the owners don't follow advice and take appropriate steps to improve things, etc. They will monitor the home, garden and dog for some time to make sure that things are improved and are maintained.
It's anonymous and since it's a garden you are reporting, it could be anyone with a visual on this mess that has reported it....don't be worried about the neighbours finding out it was you who phoned or whatever...

midori1999 Sun 04-Nov-12 15:39:53

Is it my garden?! 30 poos is about 3 days worth of not bothering to pick up here.

Why are you paying such close attention to your neighbours dog poo?!

wizardsleeve Sun 04-Nov-12 15:40:18

It amazes me how some deggy people don't give a damn about things like this.It just about sums up where they are at with their minds which are full of carp

IslaValargeone Sun 04-Nov-12 15:42:09

midori, I think the smell is bothering her, understandably.

Do you really leave 30 poos in your garden?

IvorHughJackolantern Sun 04-Nov-12 15:43:00

grin at having a mind full of carp

Yy to Environmental Health if you're not on the sort of terms that would make them approachable (though I'm not sure how you'd start that conversation... 'Do you realise your garden is full of fungusy poo that looks like pasta?')

Not nice

YNK Sun 04-Nov-12 15:47:17

It will soon be frozen and the smell will stop!

Pagwatch Sun 04-Nov-12 15:47:21

My mind is overflowing with Carp.

I often have loads of dog pooh in my garden but my garden is huge and I can't find it unless I have a sort of csi session.
I think it may depend on the size of the garden a bit.

Fakebook Sun 04-Nov-12 15:55:05

Eurgh. Another dog poo owner thinking they can just leave their dog shit anywhere and it won't affect anyone.

Please call the council and complain. It's a health hazard to the vulnerable. Imagine breathing in those poo spores...ugh. I remember once in a lecture, our lecturer showed us a small mushroom that had grown IN a bronchiole in the lungs due to breathing in fungi spores. Yuck.

fluffyraggies Sun 04-Nov-12 15:58:46

A few years ago I lived in one of a set of four little terraced cottages. The bloke who owned the cottage on one end let his two black labs shit in the tiny narrow back garden and never cleared up after them. The smell in the summer was horrendous, and i used to feel sorry for the dogs picking their way through their own mess to find a spot to do more. They were fed out there amongst it all too sad

I called the council about it in the end - and they sent someone to talk to him and things improved a bit. I think he knew it was me who'd reported him but i didn't care. I'd asked him numerous times to do something about the sea of shite in his garden because of the stink, and he hadn't. Dirty bastard.

I agree with pag - the size of the garden matters.

poorpooch Sun 04-Nov-12 16:09:45

The garden is approximately the size of my kitchen, about 12 feet square - a very small garden.

The fungus is spreading onto the surrounding footpaths and public areas, where there are quite often children playing etc - surely playing amongst fungus that has developed from poo cant be healthy at all. I'm honestly not sure what smells worse, the fungus (which has this horrible strong mushroom type smell, really strong) or the poo.

It is not hard to miss given that you can smell the garden just walking past and also given that you can see it as they don't have large fencing or anything. It's not something that you can miss because they don't have plants or soil or anything, just paving slabs.

Frozen or not its still bad - it smells so much worse when wet after rain etc, I don't want to imagine the smell if say it was thawing out from the snow! That and I feel very much for their dogs.

Looks like it shall be environmental health then..

Pagwatch Sun 04-Nov-12 16:25:56

Grim. 30 plus piles of shite in a kitchen sized garden is grim.

Yy to environmental health.

SoupDragon Sun 04-Nov-12 16:39:41

Fungus does not develop from poo though. It grows from spores in the air. This is fungus season.

rogersmellyonthetelly Sun 04-Nov-12 18:10:57

It's gross, but the RSPCA won't do anything. They will only visit if there is a suspicion that the animal is either not fed or given a drink, or does not have adequate shelter, is sick or injured and is not Being treated by a vet, or is being beaten. They simply don't have the time or the funds for anything else.
Environmental health are the best bet.

bellabreeze Mon 05-Nov-12 03:51:42

I think ringing the rspa on anyone that you don't believe to be actually harming their animal is spiteful..

Cailleach Mon 05-Nov-12 05:53:16

My back garden backs onto another garden, and when I moved in the people living there at the time had a bull mastiff (lovely dog) that they never cleared up after.

The smell was unbelievable, especially in the summer. It meant that neither myself nor any of the neighbours could bear to sit in our gardens. My bathroom and bedroom windows had to stay closed during the summer as you could smell it from 30 feet away. The people immediately neighbouring the house with the dog couldn't bear to open their windows ever, even in the winter (we live in terraces so it's all very close together.)

Eventually we all called the Environmental Health Officers round. The guys took one look at it and were disgusted. After three official warnings with not much result (they would clear it for a while, then it would deteriorate again) the EHOs put a prosecution case together. Altogether, eight people living in the street had complained about the smell.

The dog owners were taken to court and fined. After that they got their arses in gear and things improved massively. Shame it had to get to that stage, but there you go.

They moved out about a year ago. The people that live there now have two dogs, and two cats as well. The yard is spotless.

Do call the EHOs in, OP. This is a health hazard and impacting on you, therefore they must take action.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now