Talk

Advanced search

Neighbours bonfire still burning .......!

(11 Posts)
IsabelleRinging Sun 04-Nov-12 14:50:25

My neighbour had a huge bonfire last night, it was still smoking when we got up this morning. They were burning things until the early hours of the morning, then after breakfast she started putting more garden waste on it and it is still going now. As she seems to be burning clippings from shrubs, the leaves are generating huge couds of smoke which is permeating the house, despite us having all the windows shut!!! It's been going almost 24 hours now!
She refuses to speak to us over a different matter, would it be unreasonable to complain to the council about this? Is there a rule about garden fire? She is seems to be using the fact that its bonfire time to burn everythng in sight.

Wellthen Sun 04-Nov-12 15:00:02

I think YABU. Surely the conversation will simply go like this:
Council: Please put the fire out
Neighbour: Ok puts fire out in a few hours which they were going to do anyway
Neighbours then dislike you even more.

They arent burning anything dangerous although I can see its annoying to have your smoke smell smokey. But then, its hardly open window weather.

If its still going this time next week...then maybe

IsabelleRinging Sun 04-Nov-12 15:24:25

I don't care whether she likes me or dislikes me she's a miserable cow , fed up of house stinking of smoke. We have the windows shut, it's so smokey its coming in around the edges of the doors and windows.

Wellthen Sun 04-Nov-12 19:36:35

But you mentioned 'we arent speaking over a different matter' so clearly not liking each other is causing you problems as you cant speak over small problems. If your post was AIBU to ask my neighbour when her fire will be finished? you'd probably get a different response. But you're asking should you ring the council over someone burning leaves in autumn. Yes it does seem unreasonable.

I would suggest you go round and ask her to put it out. Thats all you can do.

McHappyPants2012 Sun 04-Nov-12 19:38:42

i would add my waste to the fire.

valiumredhead Sun 04-Nov-12 19:40:28

It's a bonfire and it's winter so windows are shut - its not like you have the washing on the line, is it?

bureni Sun 04-Nov-12 19:41:29

Turn the garden hose on it

Uppermid Sun 04-Nov-12 19:42:07

Depends on where you are. Some councils you're not allowed to have fires during the day.

Yanbu at all. If its green waste she's burning the smoke is likely to be thick and strong smelling. It is anti social and speaking to the council will mean that you don't have to speak to her directly.

bureni Sun 04-Nov-12 19:45:42

I would certainly not be allowed to burn any kind of rubbish in my garden at any time. Op, do you live in a smokeless zone?

prettysunset Sun 04-Nov-12 19:48:59

Having spent the weekend in torrential rain I'm just impressed that anyone in the country has a dry enough pile to burn!

valiumredhead Sun 04-Nov-12 19:49:53

https://www.gov.uk/garden-bonfires-rules

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now