Talk

Advanced search

To feel really guilty

(24 Posts)
KellyElly Sun 04-Nov-12 09:04:48

My friend gave me and DD a lift home yesterday and as I was unstrapping her out of the car seat the seat belt flew out of my hand and the metal bit whacked her below her eye. She's got a really bad black eye. I was hoping it would have gone down this morning but it looks worse, I feel terrible. I was chatting and a bit distracted as I was undoing the seat belt and feel like if I'd been paying attention she wouldn't have been hurt. Feel awful when I look at her poor little eye.

Sparklingbrook Sun 04-Nov-12 09:06:32

Oh please don't feel guilty. These things happen. DH shut DS2's fingers in the patio door and they went all colours of the rainbow. They both cried. sad

It will fade soon enough. Don't worry. x

ChaoticismyLife Sun 04-Nov-12 09:08:34

Sparkling's right. These things happen to us all at some point.

Hassled Sun 04-Nov-12 09:09:04

She'll be fine and most of us have accidentally injured their children at one point or another (I slammed a car door shut on DD's elbow and tipped DS2 out of a carseat). Please don't feel bad - is it worth trying some Arnica for the bruising?

cheekydevil Sun 04-Nov-12 09:13:14

We have all done it. I was tightening dd straps in babyseat and my hand slipped and I full on punched her in the nose with a big fuck off ring on! I have never forgiven myself but she is fine.

mutny Sun 04-Nov-12 09:22:16

Don't worry. These things happen, to all of us.

Sparklingbrook Sun 04-Nov-12 09:23:45

Oh yes when DS1 was about 6 weeks old I clipped his tummy skin into the bouncy chair (hot summer-he only had a nappy on). sad <shudder>

MrsCantSayAnything Sun 04-Nov-12 09:24:00

Oh dear...poor DD....I also neglected my DD2 yesterday and she banged her lip on the table in Nando's and split it! It poured! I feel bad because I was allowing her to go under our table and back again....

KellyElly Sun 04-Nov-12 09:28:03

Thanks for your replies. I know it was an accident but when the injury is so visible it gives you a pang of guilt every time you see it! I'll try the bruise cream. She sees her dad today and knowing what he's like he'll try to make me feel even more guilty. Looking forward to that smile

Trazzletoes Sun 04-Nov-12 10:02:31

DS ran head first in to a trolley once... I'd just asked him to stop running around and was too busy chatting to DH to see if DS had stopped running...

He chipped his front teeth.

She'll already have forgotten about it. Please don't worry.

Sparklingbrook Sun 04-Nov-12 10:04:01

Don't let her Dad make you feel guilty. Just explain what happened and don't enter into further discussion about it.

Softlysoftly Sun 04-Nov-12 10:06:25

I banged DD2s head on the doorframe at a very tiny 2 weeks old sad then called the dr and cried on her for 10minutes as she assured me they are bouncier than adults.

Don't feel bad it happens, just smother her in cuddles to assuage your guilt!

Oh you poor thing ( not going to say that about your daughter as I bet she's fine now)
I mmaged to get 2 black eyes as a toddler. My lovely, completely non violent parents were terrified people would think I was a beaten child!

KellyElly Sun 04-Nov-12 10:12:56

She seems fine now. She's watching Power Rangers and saying she hurt her eye in a power ranger battle smile Kids are definitely resilient, if I had a black eye I'd feel sorry for myself for days!

freddiefrog Sun 04-Nov-12 10:15:04

Don't feel guilty.

I gave DD2 a black eye after smacking her in the face during a raucous game of Just Dance on the Wii, accidentally knocked DD1 off a pontoon (luckily into only about 2 foot of water) and ended up in A&E having a cut on her head glued after getting carried away on a bumper car.

It was an accident and my kids have forgiven me (although not forgotten grin )

Fakebook Sun 04-Nov-12 10:15:37

I remember elbowing dd on the nose once whilst strapping her in. It happens. They know its not done on purpose. Hope you feel less guilty.

InABloodyRut Sun 04-Nov-12 10:21:08

I've lost count the number of times I've smacked one of the DC's head into the car whilst getting them in blush

Megatron Sun 04-Nov-12 10:25:02

Aw you poor thing. It's horrible but we've ALL done something like that at some point. I didn't put the side of DD's cot up properly when she was about 7 months old and she lobbed herself out of the cot and landed on her face. There was actually an imprint of the carpet on her nose. I cried my eyes out on the way to the hospital cos I was convinced I had really hurt her but by the time the doctor checked her out she was giggling away at him.

digerd Sun 04-Nov-12 10:33:03

Brings back my memories. My 15 month old baby, got her finger shut in the patio doors, and nail went black, I was mortified.
When she was younger, I arrived at my friend's house and undid the strap on her push chair, and then we got talking and suddenly my baby had fallen forward and scraped her nose on the concrete ground. Mortified again. And there were other mishaps, but nothing serious. But the guilt was terrible

Oh no not me, I am a perfect parent with a less than perfect memory

KellyElly Sun 04-Nov-12 10:48:08

Our poor children smile She is now telling me her eye will feel better if she has a freddo ha ha!

Spice17 Sun 04-Nov-12 12:17:39

My DD is just over 2 weeks old and I accidently stabbed her in the back if the head with my thumbnail the other day and she wailed, I felt utterly heartbroken.

Incidentally, my nails have always been short, flaky and crap until I got pregnant, when for some reason they grew really long, strong and beautiful so I'm lothe to cut them (but guess I may have to!) smile

janflan Sun 04-Nov-12 14:50:01

I cut ds1's finger really badly cutting his nails when he was a baby and i punched him in th face when my hand slipped ziping up his coat!

I left the stair gate open while i popped upstairs and ds2 crawled up behind me and then fell back down. I also shut his hand in the car door. It was awful because i couldn't get the door back open to release his hand! Oh and i caught his willy ziping up his jeans! Poor child won't let me do up his zip anymore.

Thinking about it ds2 seems to have come off much worse than ds1.

acebaby Mon 05-Nov-12 15:02:17

I bashed DS1 in the face giving him a huge bruise, when I got a bit carried away with wii table tennis blush. I was mortified, particularly as he told EVERYONE what I had done. He was fine though, and couldn't understand why I didn't want to carry on playing 10 minutes later!

Try not to feel guilty. These things happen to all parents. One thing that we can do though is to find out how to treat accidental injuries. Today, after reading the choking thread, I have enrolled on a first aid course. So hopefully I will be able to do something more productive than cry and apologize repeatedly next time I do something awful to the DCs.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now