Talk

Advanced search

To be alamed that DH electrocuted himself?

(20 Posts)
BrittaPerry Sat 03-Nov-12 23:50:57

I'm away seeing my parents wih the kids, 200 miles away.

Before I went away, the light fitting got knocked off the ceiling (the solid pendant was swinging by the wire).

Anyhow, tonight he texted me to say he has just been thrown across the room. He went to put the light fitting back in (using a wooden drumstick) and got electrocuted. Pretty sure he is a bit drunk.

Is this alarming?

He s 37, generally good health. He was epileptic when he was a teenager but fine now.

NormanTheForeman Sat 03-Nov-12 23:53:07

If he was really electrocuted it would be very alarming (because it means he would have died from an electric shock). If he has received an electric shock but is still alive and ok, then it may be worrying but not as bad.

Salmotrutta Sun 04-Nov-12 00:12:37

I'm actually quite amazed that a wooden drumstick managed to conduct electricity.

confused

Tell him to wear rubber soled shoes next time.

GrrrArghZzzz Sun 04-Nov-12 00:17:00

I would say he's fine, but with the medical history he might want to checked out later. I was certainly alarmed when my DH badly shocked himself, it made such a loud noise. Then he stood back up and apologised (for scaring us, though at the time it looked like was apologising for shocking himself. I recall telling him that I wasn't the one he needs to apologise, it was himself, but he's the type to says orry for everything).

LadyMaryCreepyCrawley Sun 04-Nov-12 00:18:39

He needs checking over in A&E. A shock can cause abnormal heart rhythms. Better to be safe.

AgentZigzag Sun 04-Nov-12 00:21:09

DH has been electrocuted countless times being an electrician, he estimates about 30, and he's kind of OK grin

But he's never been thrown across the room because his muscles don't tense for some reason.

He said he could be OK, but then his dad has just found out he's got a heart murmur he didn't know about, and if he was thrown he could have hurt himself another way.

NHS direct has to be the stock answer, but whether your DH rings them or not might depend on his alcohol intake? (i.e. 'I'm fiiine, stop worrying')

cumfy Sun 04-Nov-12 00:31:20

Sounds like he is playing russian roulette; switch the electricity off at the fuse box.

AgentZigzag Sun 04-Nov-12 00:32:30

Maybe the drumsticks were damp?

Twiddles Sun 04-Nov-12 08:33:52

Needs a + e checkover
As said before it could affect heart.
NSD direct will tell u that

MyLastDuchess Sun 04-Nov-12 08:36:17

Yep off to hospital. But he got an electric shock - electrocution is death by electricity. It's a bit like how if you drown, it means you are dead. Very glad he has done neither by the way :-)

WofflingOn Sun 04-Nov-12 08:36:43

You should be alarmed that he's a prat who knows very little about electricity and even less when drunk. I'm pleased he's not dead, but why didn't he turn it off at the mains?

OrangeLily Sun 04-Nov-12 08:36:58

If he had actually electrocuted himself it would mean that he was dead so alarmed would be a bit of an understatement!!

diddl Sun 04-Nov-12 08:37:37

I´m astonished that he didn´t turn the electricity off!

Collaborate Sun 04-Nov-12 08:38:17

Sod wearing rubber soled shoes. How about just turning the power offconfused?

LivesInJeans Sun 04-Nov-12 08:41:02

I have received an electric shock whilst doing something stupid. It's a good wake up call.

Tell the silly arse to stop worrying you, sleep off his drink properly and only touch again if he a) switches off at mains box and b) knows what he is doing

Fakebook Sun 04-Nov-12 08:42:03

I didn't realise a wooden drumstick was a tool.

WofflingOn Sun 04-Nov-12 09:19:11

You know, if either of my teenagers had been that dim, they would have been smart enough not to tell me.

weegiemum Sun 04-Nov-12 09:23:53

I once got a shock off an electric heater (student days, criminally cold flat, friend lent me said heater!) and it blew me across the room. I think. Cos it also knocked me out and I woke on the other side of the room 20 mins later.

Flatmate (medical student) made me go to a&e and they said she'd done the right thing though I was ok. Heart function was the w prey.

TheCunnyFuntWearingAPoppy Sun 04-Nov-12 10:12:55

My BIL stuck a car key into a socket once and switched it on, he got a massive shock that made all his hair fall out and now his hair feels all wiry. He was young when he did it though, I've seen his primary school photos after it happened and his hair was sticking straight up!

Did anyone else inmediately think of a wooden chicken leg when the drumstick was mentioned? blush

I'd love to know why he didn't think to turn the power iff though confused

TheProvincialLady Sun 04-Nov-12 10:16:42

A&E definitely now, and then a massive kick up the arse when you see him. What the hell was he thinking?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now