Talk

Advanced search

What kind of sexist crap is that!!

(62 Posts)
FTRsMammy Sat 03-Nov-12 19:10:30

Am looking for a hotel for mine and DHs 5th wedding anniversary in January. We live in the north east if England so there's a few Best Western hotels coming up in searches. I'm having a look at the hotel restaurants to see if the foods any good or if we'd have to go out for dinner and a few of the best westerns have a 'rib room' steak restaurant where the menu lists a 6 oz fillet steak - perfect for a lady! WTAF! AIBU to find that quite offensive and very sexist?

Sirzy Sat 03-Nov-12 19:11:29

Surely thats because generally (not always I know) women have smaller appetites? Doesn't mean you can order as big a steak as you want though.

SuePurblybilt Sat 03-Nov-12 19:13:13

I foresee LOTS of posts saying 'but women should eat less'
Well yes, but doesn't it smack of women not being allowed to drink pints 'a half for the little lady'?

Not exactly offensive to me but it's a bit Phoenix Nights. Do they offer a glass of orange juice as a starter?

BeerTricksPott3r Sat 03-Nov-12 19:14:41

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Trills Sat 03-Nov-12 19:17:37

Perfect for a person with a small appetite.

It sounds a bit "lay-dee" as well.

Are you a proper lady? Are you ladylike?

mutny Sat 03-Nov-12 19:22:36

As an owner of a steak house that does a 32oz ribeye. Women don't order the big steaks and every weekend at least one woman will ask 'whats the best size for a lady' then look confused when you can't answer or stifle a laugh.
It is slightly offensive but there are a lot of some who play the 'i couldn't possibly eat that, I am a lady' little Britain style.
What's worse is they usually end up polishing of a 3 course meal, whilst claiming they couldn't possibly eat 10oz steak.

SoleSource Sat 03-Nov-12 19:27:02

I could eat a 64 oz steak.

ChickenFillet Sat 03-Nov-12 19:29:50

BeerTricksPott3r Sat 03-Nov-12 19:34:19

SamuelWestsMistress Sat 03-Nov-12 19:36:06

I'd eat a whole cow. Still mooing!

Big, juicy rare steaks are food of the gods.

rocketwithbutterflywings Sat 03-Nov-12 19:37:36

Where can I get this 32oz Ribeye mutny? <drool> grin

WelshMaenad Sat 03-Nov-12 19:38:28

Oooooh I could go a 32oz ribeye RIGHT NOW.

I am not a laydee. I'm a woman what likes her food!

LizzieVereker Sat 03-Nov-12 19:40:03

Perhaps you are not allowed to order one unless you can produce a lavender scented handkerchief from your decollatage, answer a quiz on kittens and have elegant deportment.

I would fail and have to order a steak suitable for a kitchen maid or a navy.

Viviennemary Sat 03-Nov-12 19:43:05

I've never seen that on a menu yet. It is ridiculous though. I've seen man-sized portion mentioned. I suppose that's no better but I've never really thought about it.

IslaValargeone Sat 03-Nov-12 19:49:00

I'm another cow eater.
I can't believe that someone would ask "what's the best size for a lady?" that has made me laugh.

Downandoutnumbered Sat 03-Nov-12 19:53:35

I saw this on a menu when I was away for work in June. I choked on my wine! Then I ordered a T-bone steak just to make the point.

HolyAutumnGoldBatman Sat 03-Nov-12 19:54:13

I suppose YANBU, but I admire your energy to be so offended by this. I couldn't even manage a raised eyebrow.

McHappyPants2012 Sat 03-Nov-12 19:54:37

I love steak, but can't cook it so I alway order a 12oz medium steak

BeauNeidel Sat 03-Nov-12 19:57:42

I've only ever seen 6oz fillets before...but YANBU.

I fucking love steak. I've just finished my dinner, but can someone motor round with one of those 32oz rib eyes please? Rare, with peppercorn sauce.

Ta.

CouthyMowEatingBraiiiiinz Sat 03-Nov-12 20:04:33

Mmmmm...steeeeak. I easily polish off a 12oz steak. I'd look at a 6oz and ask where's the rest?

But I guess I don't qualify as a lady, at least not where steak is concerned!

kim147 Sat 03-Nov-12 20:08:13

FTRsMammy Sat 03-Nov-12 20:10:23

I've taken all of your comments on board and decided to mull over whether I'm overreacting while eating an unladylike amount of Chinese takeaway

mutny Sat 03-Nov-12 20:15:12

Its in west yorkshire.

We have an 11oz fillet and loads of others. I am friends with my personal trainer (male) and we went with a few of his clients and had a steak eating competition and i polished off the 32oz. beat all the men. smile Has to be rare. yum

But honestly the amount of women that 'only want a small portion for my small appetite is ridiculous.

I am not working tonight kind of wish i was, really could eat some steak.

Shakey1500 Sat 03-Nov-12 20:16:38

YANBU. If I saw that on a menu I'd more than likely ask to order a 32oz whopper and check I'm allowed to order it wink

As an aside I have had an absolutely mouthwatering steak tonight, peppered to the hilt grin

Alisvolatpropiis Sat 03-Nov-12 20:32:52

YABU - it's probably tongue in cheek.

Well I'd assume it was because when I eat out I eat my money,effort and times worth not ladylike smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now