Talk

Advanced search

To put dd in a sling

(23 Posts)
notnow2 Sat 03-Nov-12 18:09:25

Dd 13 months is driving me insane when I cook, wash up etc as she pulls at my leg all the time. So I have started carrying her on my back in an ergo - have to get things done for ds 1 and 2. DSis says I am pandering and babying her and she will never learn to leave me alone but I can't think of any other option.

BertieBotts Sat 03-Nov-12 18:10:33

No, it's fine! They grow out of it before too long anyway.

lovebunny Sat 03-Nov-12 18:18:51

perfectly fine. excellent in fact. she'll be happy and so will you.

i'm thinking of doing it with mine. she doesn't pester me but i like her nearby. she's 30.

NeedlesCuties Sat 03-Nov-12 18:19:24

Tell your Dsis to butt her nose out. Unless she wants to come and do your housework she can't have an opinion.

Hope that helps.

Slings are great! I'm using one with DD, otherwise DS would be naked, hungry and my house piled high with rubbish.

CaliforniaLeaving Sat 03-Nov-12 19:24:24

Gotta love slings and backpacks, they make life so much easier for the Mom. Ignore Dsis.

FiveFlowers Sat 03-Nov-12 19:27:56

grin lovebunny

Twiddles Sat 03-Nov-12 20:36:08

Did loads of housework with my dd in a sling / baby bjorn / back sling, she loved it, we were close and i could get loads dne even hoover the stairs !!

dizzy77 Sat 03-Nov-12 20:38:26

I would do this if I could get 17mo DS on my back! I know they come in for a bit of hmm on MN but we just got a second hand Funpod which he completely loves. It's not ideal for doing moving-round-the-house jobs like hoovering etc but he'll entertain himself happily at the kitchen counter while I make dinner, wash up etc and sometimes helps with the w/up but only if there is a bath/change of clothes imminent.

Twiddles Mon 05-Nov-12 20:15:11

Funpod !!
Love it, y 5yr old dd climbs in hers now to help out dinner time etc ..

RuleBritannia Mon 05-Nov-12 20:16:51

Are play pens not available any more?

aderynlas Mon 05-Nov-12 20:30:31

Had a lovely old wooden playpen that was only ever a huge toy box, dont think a child ever sat in it. Remember the poor cat using it as a place of safety away from all the toddlers.

Desiren Mon 05-Nov-12 20:34:22

This is so funny I used carry my daughters tied to my back the African way, the same as my mother with me. People used to look at me like I was crazy but now it's all the range.

OHforDUCKScake Mon 05-Nov-12 20:38:02

My 17 month old reached a month long! seperation anxiety stage bang on 14 months. I too, dug out the ergo and did dinner with him on my back. It still wasnt enough, he wanted to face me. Or my breasts to be exact, but it was easier than screaming round my knees.

It was so bad at one point, Id have to take him to the bathroom with me and he'd howl because I put him next to me on my lap while I weed. <rolly eyes>.
I had no idea SAHM's had this, my first was at nursery full time so I endured very little of that.

OHforDUCKScake Mon 05-Nov-12 20:40:10

*not on my lap

fraktion Mon 05-Nov-12 20:43:20

Very sensible. Tell your DSis where to go.

Littlegreenbear Mon 05-Nov-12 22:01:47

I did this with my dd when she was 14 months old....my dm told me I was a laughing stock and she was ashamed...but I did it anyway as I'm not into leaving dd crying when she is going through a clingy phase. Dd is now 16 months old the phase has past.....as will your dd's. it's so much more of an easy life using A sling then theres no tears on both parts .....so don't listen to your dsis!

squeakytoy Mon 05-Nov-12 22:03:32

I would get a play pen, surely that has to be far safer than carrying a child on your back when you are cooking, spraying cleaning products, or just for your own health.

Wingdingdong Mon 05-Nov-12 22:15:05

I bought DD her own kitchen (16m at the time). She's played with it every day since. Go for distraction, it'll save you a fortune in chiropractor bills.

MrsCF Mon 05-Nov-12 22:24:01

Not at all, I love my ergo and my youngest is nearly 3, we haven't used it round the house for a long time but I remember many times doing jobs round the house with a child on my back just because it kept them quiet and allowed me to get on with things.

NeedlesCuties Tue 06-Nov-12 08:50:12

littlegreenbear what a cheeky thing for your mum to say!

SarryB Tue 06-Nov-12 09:32:30

Go for it...some babies hate slings, just be thankful that yours will be carried. But don't hurt your back!

Raspberrysorbet Tue 06-Nov-12 09:36:53

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

fraktion Tue 06-Nov-12 10:12:03

You can either put them in your hip and scoot them round then flip the carrier up or stand behind them so you both face the same way, hold firmly at the shoulders/too of the arms and sort of swing them round and up onto your back, then flip the carrier up. I think you can do something funny with them on your hips and brining a strap up before you get them round but I'm not a contortionist so I've never managed. It sounds very violent but it's not! YouTube 'superman baby toss' (I think).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now