Talk

Advanced search

Aibu to think the JS costume is poor taste!

(15 Posts)
pumpkinsweetie Sat 03-Nov-12 17:20:04

Having been on fb, as didn't venture out this Halloween, lots have people have taken it upon themselves to dress up as JS for halloween.
Aibu to think it is in seriously poor taste?

butisthismyname Sat 03-Nov-12 17:25:30

I think it is fucking appalling. Rather like the oh-so-funny JS mask the Times printed Honestly!

pumpkinsweetie Sat 03-Nov-12 17:29:30

What doesn't get me is the one i saw holding a plastic doll.
I just don't get whats funny or 'halloween' about itconfused
He was a dirty old pervert and people are wanting to dress as him, why?

YuffieKisaragi Sat 03-Nov-12 17:41:16

Too soon. It's disrespectful. Then again a friend of a friend dressed her young daughter up as a "murdered schoolgirl" for Halloween and seemingly doesn't see anything wrong. Makes Saville masks seem tame...

youngermother1 Sat 03-Nov-12 18:06:46

FYI - the times did not print a JS mask. There was a cartoon illustrating a story earlier in the week that had JS in an evil mask.

Later in the week, they printed a number of Halloween masks, but not a JS one. This error has been repeated by a number of people.

butisthismyname Sat 03-Nov-12 21:54:39

oh right. I stand corrected hmm

RubixCube Sun 04-Nov-12 13:41:35

Omg i just seen the photos on my news feed.Where he got his hands on the blow up dolls crutch.I really do not find paedophelia funny.I don't know why any would tbh.Yuck! What a disgisting person

pumpkinsweetie Sun 04-Nov-12 13:46:01

Definetly not funny, only a complete jerk would dress as him or a closet paedo!

RubixCube Sun 04-Nov-12 13:49:10

Is that the one your on about? Have you seen his profile pic though? What a moron

toomuch2young Sun 04-Nov-12 13:55:11

I couldn't believe it that large online fancy dress retailers are listing it as a best seller. I mean really. It's sick.

pumpkinsweetie Sun 04-Nov-12 13:55:38

There's more though, it seems to be the staple 'halloween costume' of the year <boak>

youngermother1 Sun 04-Nov-12 21:15:57

the below is a quote from the Saturday Times explaining the issue. the Huffington post picture is the cartoon.

On Wednesday, The Times suffered something of a Hallowe’en monstering itself, after someone suggested on Twitter that our fancy dress ideas had included a cut-out mask of Jimmy Savile. The mask was, of course, Peter Brookes’s savage cartoon from the Opinion page — depicting Savile as a monster — on a different day and in a different part of the paper, but enough for the stick to be grasped firmly at the wrong end, and for the paper to be caught up in an flurry of upset and recrimination.
Douglas Kedge was concerned that “the unthinking” might cut the mask out and wear it, thereby “turning an appalling situation into no more than fun and games”. But Times readers are not unthinking. The recurring theme of the past fortnight has been how Savile hid his true nature behind a mask of affability, and the day when monsters roam the land was surely the one on which to reverse that picture and reveal the real beast.
Of those who wrote to Feedback, some seemed not to have seen the paper, but had picked up the scent of a scandal second hand. “What the hell do you think you’re doing printing a fun Jimmy Savile halloween mask?” one asked. By the time he was writing, though, Twitter had policed itself, and for every repetition of the original complaint there were tweets pointing out it was a misapprehension.
The squall blew over as fast as it arose, but it did illustrate a growing issue for us. As the number of ways in which we broaden — and we hope improve — how we interact with our readers, so does the surrounding noise of the social networks increase. Our priority is not to lose sight of the thoughful and considered in among the general kerfuffle.

FromEsme Sun 04-Nov-12 21:18:48

I think anyone who seriously thinks The Times would print any Halloween mask, let alone a Jimmy Savile one, has probably never read The Times.

Dressing up as Jimmy Savile is just rank. Can't believe anyone would be so crass.

RubyGates Sun 04-Nov-12 21:20:31

More appropriate as a Guy surely.

pumpkinsweetie Sun 04-Nov-12 21:46:03

My mother somewhat summed it up earlier, "they are dressing as him as he was a monster" -i completely get it now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now