Talk

Advanced search

To want my deposit back?

(3 Posts)
mmmnoodlesoup Sat 03-Nov-12 15:05:36

Not a very interesting Aibu but could do with advice.

Recently moved and needed furniture, so I went to buy a sofa in September and signed for a 2 year no interest dealy and put down a £100 deposit.

A week later a problem occurred with flat we were moving to so needed to cancel sofa. Credit agreement was cancelled easily but the company are refusing to give me back my deposit. No where on the contract does it say the deposit is non refundable! I made sure I read it thoroughly before signing.

I've emailed head office and said I really need this money as I'm currently going through a hard time money-wise. I'm 8 months pg, need to buy a cot but can't even afford a second hand one atm.

In the email I stated my current situation but the guy wrote back saying no, sorry we don't refund the deposit. The store manager was actually lovely and said I should get it back and would help me but even he couldn't.

Do I have any hope of getting this back? Or should I let it go? sad

WMittens Sat 03-Nov-12 15:35:56

Placing a deposit and then getting it refunded if you want to pull out of the deal kind of undermines the whole point of a deposit. You placed an order and signed a contract - you have now broken that contract, deposit is forfeit. I operate on the assumption that any deposit is non-refundable.

However, a quick search brings up this:
"Your right to cancel a loan
You have 14 days in which to change your mind and cancel a credit agreement. You will have to repay the amount borrowed along with any interest that’s accrued up to the point at which you cancel There are some agreements that can't be cancelled e.g. where the amount of credit exceeds £60,260 and for agreements secured on land.

The 14 day cooling-off period runs from the day the agreement is concluded or if later, from when you receive a copy of the agreement or, notification of the credit limit on a credit card."

You cancelled it within a week, so it seems reasonable that the rules above apply.

Lueji Sat 03-Nov-12 15:45:45

You might be better off buying it and then returning it. Although you'd still have to pay delivery.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now